IGNORED

EFL Green Club of the Year

Jerseybean

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We seem to be very good at winning lots of things off the pitch while being utterly terrible at ever winning anything on it.

I spoke with my partner's grandmother, who worked as a CEO for multiple clubs in the late 80s and early 90s. When I said I was a City fan, she explained that we had been known for our good community schemes and would also be very willing to share them with other clubs for the benefit of all. 

Funnily enough, the main experience she could recall with Rovers was when she was in charge of a London club. She had to organise security for a player that had received multiple death threats from Gasheads just before the two sides were set to play each other...

• Like 1

What a load of garbage these greenwashing schemes are. Not long since we built a massive new stand with god knows how many tons of concrete. How that can win any kind of a green award is mind boggling.

By rights the rabble across town should be ahead of us in this regard as their inability to build anything means they have had far less impact on the planet than City have.

Perhaps SL has planted a billion trees on Guernsey to offset it. The whole green virtue signalling industry out there is just taking everyone for idiots.

• Like 4

On 14/09/2023 at 17:35, The Humble Realist said:

No doubt some 'nice' steps that no doubt did come from hard work but unfortunately all just lip service to the tackling the actual issue of climate change at the club and football as a whole. 

In short we are the the 2nd best at the stuff which isnt the important stuff for climate change. 

Well ...I must eat some humble pie. 

English Football League sides make environment pledge - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67067513

Appears we will no longer being flying to ANY matches. Fair play. This is much more impactful. 

Credit where it's due. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

English Football League sides make environment pledge - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67067513

Appears we will no longer being flying to ANY matches. Fair play. This is much more impactful. 

Credit where it's due. 

Just the players holidays to Dubai etc & gas-guzzling fast cars to go then…..

11 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Just the players holidays to Dubai etc & gas-guzzling fast cars to go then…..

Yeah very much true for the big picture although those are personal choices, not the clubs. 

I've been quite critical of the club for 'talking a lot' about how green we are whilst still flying to matches so think its important to say fair play now they've announced this policy. 

Il try not to moan when we lose away at Boro because the players are tired from the coach trip :)

Edited by The Humble Realist
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Credit where it's due. 

Must be a recent thing then as we flew to Rotherham last week!

If you read the Pledgeball release on the Sustainable Travel Charter, it doesn't sound like City are adopting the no-fly policy. That appears to be solely Millwall (and presumably FGR?)

"Several clubs in the EFL have already signed up to the Sustainable Travel Charter including Millwall, who have a no-fly policy, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers, Forest Green Rovers, Mansfield Town, and Swindon Town. "

The charter itself isn't completely against flights:

"The Sustainable Travel Charter will support clubs in their decision-making around player travel to and from games. The Charter takes into account issues that clubs need to consider in their decision-making, such as player security, health and wellbeing, travel time and next fixture, guiding clubs so that they can at least reduce the number of flights. The Charter also encourages clubs to take commercial flights rather than chartering their own planes as they have a significantly lower carbon footprint. "

https://pledgeball.org/new-sustainable-travel-charter-for-football-clubs-launched-to-help-teams-reduce-their-environmental-impact/

• Like 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked