IGNORED

The East End, photo , video

1960maaan

The seated version popped up in my memories, so I thought I'd post it here.
Just a couple of pics of the old place, my first area I went on when I started going to the Gate.
Never understood why they didn't raise the advertising signs high enough so the ball would roll back underneath onto the pitch.
Screenshot of the standing days from the Massive Attack video which I posted below. You can see the terrace in B&W at 1:53.

Ashton_Gate_home_of_Bristol_City_FC_(geograph_2008803).thumb.jpg.516cab16a2232fdf40743601924cbcfa.jpg

Screenshot2023-04-08at14_18_19.thumb.png.8a83891d761d7f2aea9714af91c657e3.png

Screenshot2023-04-26at14_20_37.png.806417a837e4beabb6f6c45fc048eb6b.png

• Like 12

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The seated version popped up in my memories, so I thought I'd post it here.
Just a couple of pics of the old place, my first area I went on when I started going to the Gate.
Never understood why they didn't raise the advertising signs high enough so the ball would roll back underneath onto the pitch.
Screenshot of the standing days from the Massive Attack video which I posted below. You can see the terrace in B&W at 1:53.

Ashton_Gate_home_of_Bristol_City_FC_(geograph_2008803).thumb.jpg.516cab16a2232fdf40743601924cbcfa.jpg

Screenshot2023-04-08at14_18_19.thumb.png.8a83891d761d7f2aea9714af91c657e3.png

Screenshot2023-04-26at14_20_37.png.806417a837e4beabb6f6c45fc048eb6b.png

What a stand. Miss it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

They used to stick on the ridge behind the signs too. Often wondered who would get them down or would they still be there next Saturday.

Yeah, they seemed to leave it until it was worthwhile getting the big steps out , and sending the apprentice up after them . :clapping:

• Like 1

Ah… she’s beautiful isn’t she. 

As a young lad, stood with legs either side of the dividing railings that ran up the terrace. Was fine until some **** decided it would be fun to go to the top and push as a hard as they could on the lad at the top of the rails. This had a domino effect all the way down. Became quite a common occurrence. Probably was quite amusing to watch, but do recall a few casualties along the way. Quite possibly the reason I’ve speak several octaves higher than most in my adult life too. 

Edited by RedRock
  • Haha 1

I was there this day (below), last game of the season 1990, promoted to (the then) Division Two. Think it was against Walsall and we won 4-0. My lasting memory was the goal scored by David Rennie - a sublime 20 yard chip that looped over the keeper.

90th minute and the Eastend prepares to invade the pitch, sparking 'Scenes'!

eastend1990_invasionC_IdSYYXUAA3lCU.jpg

Edited by OneCity
  • Like 6
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, OneCity said:

I was there this day (below), last game of the season 1990, promoted to (the then) Division Two. Think it was against Walsall and we won 4-0. My lasting memory was the goal scored by David Rennie - a sublime 20 yard chip that looped over the keeper.

I remember it well. I was in the East End in the central section right behind the goal. Towards the end of the game with the throng of people already over the fence and lining the pitch, I nipped out the back of the EE and got back in the ground through the Dolman gates ready for the pitch invasion. It was mayhem that day. Great memories. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Some fans will never know what it was like to be stood in the East End. It wasn't ever the same when the seating went in.

10517137_10152387851943248_2974247224886497161_o.jpg

1512008_10151973947473248_2028563015_o.jpg

I am in the unfortunate situation of having stood on the east end and can't remember it because I was too young!

I can remember being in there once the seating went in and it was better atmosphere than what we have now and those that say but the view was shit and there was no concourse - If I wanted a view or concourse I could have gone in the Williams but I want atmosphere more than anything.

When they were planning the Ashton vale stadium they were talking about a downward sloping roof or adding things to bounce the sound off of like the EE roof, I wonder if that's possible in the south stand.

15 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Some fans will never know what it was like to be stood in the East End. It wasn't ever the same when the seating went in.

I can fully appreciate this, but whatever it was like, being in there for the Palace play-off game must have been pretty close. Carnage at times during that match next to the away fans. Only the United match has ever come close to that for me.

• Like 1

Due to my age I only ever got to experience the eastend after the seats had been put in, but still loved every min of it, the atmosphere at the gate today just doesn't compare. The palace play off, rovers jpt & leeds their first season back in the championship stand out for me as being pretty chaotic. Also remember the little white hut stood at the bottom of the steps that sold cans of natch. Good times 

4 hours ago, OneCity said:

Wasnt there a rumour that during that game, a shot from City was going wide of the post and someone right next to the post stuck their foot out and directed it into the net?

21 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

1512008_10151973947473248_2028563015_o.jpg

It went from the East End.

To the Eastend.

Hats off to those at the vanguard who got the Eastend back for a few more seasons.

It was still special.

The EE was what got me hooked. Coming up from Taunton to AG on the train for the first time with mates and walking up that ramp in the Williams corner and just being blown away by the sea of people and the noise. For a fourteen year old from rural Somerset it took your breath away.

Little did I know a life sentence awaited........................................