IGNORED

Jeff is definitely leaving Sky

Lanterne Rouge

In fairness, I'm not sure Jeff Stelling was a big name when he got the job. I don't really know a lot about Barker or Thomas but - in general terms - I'd rather they gave it to someone who they thought had the potential to become a good presenter than a "name". I think whoever gets it is going to need a while to bed in in any case - Stelling will be tough to replace and I'm not sure there is anyone who could immediately step in and do it as well as he did. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Super said:

Caroline Barker (who) or Simon Thomas to replace JS according to reports.

At first sight underwhelming , steady but not much personality from what I remember. It will take time to see if they can step up, but Jeff was a one off IMO.

50 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

In fairness, I'm not sure Jeff Stelling was a big name when he got the job. I don't really know a lot about Barker or Thomas but - in general terms - I'd rather they gave it to someone who they thought had the potential to become a good presenter than a "name". I think whoever gets it is going to need a while to bed in in any case - Stelling will be tough to replace and I'm not sure there is anyone who could immediately step in and do it as well as he did. 

Totally agree. Plus add that the Sky decision making with choosing pundits hasn't been great and you wonder how it will cope. I've watched less since the last cull and I doubt I will be planning my Saturdays around the program for a while.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Thomas is as dull as dish-water, ex Blue Peter, says it all.  Colin Murray would be my choice

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm certainly not going to argue with your last sentence. Big fan of Colin Murray. 

Murray is a natural, nearest thing out there to Stelling, if either of the two mentioned get the gig i doubt i'll watch it in future.  

34 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Thomas is as dull as dish-water, ex Blue Peter, says it all.  Colin Murray would be my choice

I have a soft spot for Thomas, went through an awful lot with the untimely death of his wife in 2017. His Christian faith appears to have helped him rebuild his life, he was remarried in 2021 and now has a daughter. I think he would grow into the role if he got it. Barker is very knowledgeable about lower league and non league football especially. I would expect her to also do a decent job given time.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I have a soft spot for Thomas, went through an awful lot with the untimely death of his wife in 2017. His Christian faith appears to have helped him rebuild his life, he was remarried in 2021 and now has a daughter. I think he would grow into the role if he got it. Barker is very knowledgeable about lower league and non league football especially. I would expect her to also do a decent job given time.

I'm aware of what Thomas went through which was awful but to me he has zero personality which i think is what you need for this role, in Barker's case you'd expect nothing less than to "have knowledge about lower league football" but again to me she just doesn't have the personality, it's Colin Murray for me all the way providing you can drag him away from Rachel & Suzie on countdown !!

Well, good luck to the guy. For me though, he hasn’t that magic ingredient, just a competent presenter - of which there are many. Fear, with the recent panel changes, it will just become yet another scores/results show lacking any personality. 

The show was mastered by Stelling who made it ‘his own’ show, ably assisted in the past by the established panel. Someone like Danny Baker - sharp, comic value, non-prem team supporter, strong character -  was needed to set the programme apart from the field. 

11 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Well, good luck to the guy. For me though, he hasn’t that magic ingredient, just a competent presenter - of which there are many. Fear, with the recent panel changes, it will just become yet another scores/results show lacking any personality. 

The show was mastered by Stelling who made it ‘his own’ show, ably assisted in the past by the established panel. Someone like Danny Baker - sharp, comic value, non-prem team supporter, strong character -  was needed to set the programme apart from the field. 

Like everything else Colin Murray would have been a winning answer

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Rumour is that Jeff is off to TalkSport to replace Laura Woods on the breakfast show.

I absolutely love Laura as a football presenter, she is one of the best and puts many to shame. And she was really good at her job at talksport. However for me listening to her and Ally just giggling every morning was too much. 

Looking forward to seeing what Jeff brings to the show.