IGNORED

Cardiff are poor

22A

OK watching Cardiff v Huddersfield and it appears Cardiff cannot defend effectively. Some interesting stats though.

Cardiff have had over 200 corners this season and scored from just one of them.

Cardiff's shot s on target to goal ratio is the lowest in the Championship and

Cardiff have missed five penalties this season; how come they get so many?

Final day fixture is Huddersfield Vs Reading . Now that really could be squeaky bum time !!! Rotherham are away to Wigan so could quite easily Nick the points there and Huddersfield’s game in hand is against Sheff Utd . Could be a hell of a day at the bottom of the champ on Monday week !! 

2 hours ago, 22A said:

OK watching Cardiff v Huddersfield and it appears Cardiff cannot defend effectively. Some interesting stats though.

Cardiff have had over 200 corners this season and scored from just one of them.

Cardiff's shot s on target to goal ratio is the lowest in the Championship and

Cardiff have missed five penalties this season; how come they get so many?

I don't think our conversion rate from corners is that good as witnessed yesterday.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't like to say it but Cardiff are a poor side getting better. Lamouchi looks to play attacking football and i could see them improving next season if they can recruit well. The problem will be replacing Philogene and Kabba who are both on loan. 

Whilst they most definitely have played a part in keeping them up, Cardiff need to replace well just to stand still.  Same for most of the clubs challenging for that 3rd promotion spot, most have several loans that will need replacing just to maintain quality levels.  That’s not me saying our approach to loans is right and they’re wrong, just a bit of a statement of some might find they’ve over relied on a few loans and can’t attain the same levels next season.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Whilst they most definitely have played a part in keeping them up, Cardiff need to replace well just to stand still.  Same for most of the clubs challenging for that 3rd promotion spot, most have several loans that will need replacing just to maintain quality levels.  That’s not me saying our approach to loans is right and they’re wrong, just a bit of a statement of some might find they’ve over relied on a few loans and can’t attain the same levels next season.

I think I'm right in saying, we're the only club in the Championship not to have any loans.

And it's not only the promoted teams who've used players from Premier League teams - e.g. the 2 from Man City at Sheff Utd this season - but the relegated ones have them too, for all the good it's done them.

So lots of recruitment just to plug holes in the squad for many of our rivals.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

I think we could do with a couple of loans, the right player for the right price and has to be financially compliant. Sometimes you can hit on a gem or two, no guarantees of course. Or an experienced pro winding down who can bring so much.

As for Cardiff they could be heading for tougher FFP waters, they lost £26m pre tax last sesson and the relatively good Covid seasons drop off in the period ending 2023-24. Nobody of note sold either this season although wages and amortisation of course will have fallen.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Without wishing to be too gloomy I think next seasons top 3 are all but decided already with Southampton , Leeds, Everton , Forest or West Ham coming down . Certainly feels like the strongest 3 relegated sides for years and add in the millions they’ll each be given to “ cover the losses of relegation/ spend on £10m players “ , Cardiff, BCFC etc improving will sadly be pretty irrelevant ?

16 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Without wishing to be too gloomy I think next seasons top 3 are all but decided already with Southampton , Leeds, Everton , Forest or West Ham coming down . Certainly feels like the strongest 3 relegated sides for years and add in the millions they’ll each be given to “ cover the losses of relegation/ spend on £10m players “ , Cardiff, BCFC etc improving will sadly be pretty irrelevant ?

Thanks for not being too gloomy as I hate to think what a really gloomy Baldyman would have had to say :laugh:.

24 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I’d be inclined to agree except for Everton. If you take away Docoure, Pickford, Obama, and a couple others their team looks very championship. Watching them this season has been almost painful with their lack of attacking quality (reminds me of someone a couple seasons ago ?) and they looks so much worse then the rest of the prem.

not saying they won’t do well but I think they might be a play-off contender rather then a title whitewash.

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

If it’s Forest and / or Leeds I certainly wouldn’t see them as complete shoo ins to go straight back up.   They’ll both have serious financial issues, regardless of parachute payments and Leeds especially seem to be in turmoil behind the scenes.  If it were West Ham and Leicester who come down I’d be a lot less optimistic. Everton I agree with George R above.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Thanks for not being too gloomy as I hate to think what a really gloomy Baldyman would have had to say :laugh:.

?

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Call me Ee-or ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lenred said:

If it’s Forest and / or Leeds I certainly wouldn’t see them as complete shoo ins to go straight back up.   They’ll both have serious financial issues, regardless of parachute payments and Leeds especially seem to be in turmoil behind the scenes.  If it were West Ham and Leicester who come down I’d be a lot less optimistic. Everton I agree with George R above.  

My thoughts re the likes of Leeds and Everton are how many of their players are likely to want to play in the Champ…massive squad overhauls ahead.  Even Forest.

They’ve lured players by being in the PL.

I did read last night that in these squads they’ve got some players on relegation clauses to reduce wages and some not.  That creates divide immediately.

So, I’m gonna wait to see who they retain / recruit before giving them promotion (just yet!).  If they are smart like Burnley then they will be v.strong.  But I’m not convinced they are!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My thoughts re the likes of Leeds and Everton are how many of their players are likely to want to play in the Champ…massive squad overhauls ahead.  Even Forest.

They’ve lured players by being in the PL.

I did read last night that in these squads they’ve got some players on relegation clauses to reduce wages and some not.  That creates divide immediately.

So, I’m gonna wait to see who they retain / recruit before giving them promotion (just yet!).  If they are smart like Burnley then they will be v.strong.  But I’m not convinced they are!

None of those 3 clubs can be described as smart.

Everton have lost £450m over the last 5 years, haven't secured funding for the new stadium, face FFP charges and have a poor squad even before they lose their best players.

Forest's supermarket sweep recruitment has left them with a bloated squad. They will likely lose their best players and struggle to offload others they don't want. And FFP issues may follow.

Victor Orta at Leeds likes to think he is smart but their recruitment says otherwise eg a £35m striker who can't get into a poor side, no proper left back, appointing Marsch to manage a squad stuffed with wingers when his approach is to play narrow and so on. And what happens to the 49ers investment if they are relegated?

I reckon all 3 have major barriers to overcome if they expect to go straight back up. And if they don't go straight back up their problems will get even worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One thing I would add about Leeds is maybe not so financially poorly off as some others.

Because yes there is the Augustin debacle among other things but their wage structure seems to be quite heavily incentivised. 60-40 maybe in terms of salary to survival bonus, well thete are two ways of calculating it and I assume they would have in built falls on relegation too.

Leicester too could have FFP issues if they drop. They lost £92.5m was it pre tax in a season of one of there record turnovers and a European run ie 2021-22, full capacity post Covid! ? Apart from January 2023 signings most of their squad don't have relegation reduction clauses.

They sold Fofana and made cutbacks yes but they also don't have European money this year and their prize money for positional finish will he well down on last season.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous