IGNORED

Can we play Willem 11 in a friendly?

Oh Louie louie

18 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Gave us plenty of support over the years, good set of lads, a friendly at there place, now that would be nice.

I know very little about the club, other than various fans from both teams know each other.

Would a game against them be helpful or useful? By that I mean is their style of play similar to a Championship side, is the standard equivalent and all that sort of thing.

3 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Bath city clevedon town Rob, sometimes we play them, I think its too help the local economy in some cases rather than standards, they spend plenty here locally 

So it might be a good run out for the U23s who could challenge for the bench, if they standard is of one where the players get something out of it.

Probably a more expensive game to host than Bath or Clevedon however.

8 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Got to say you sound keen Rob, if 500 souls at twerton can cover travel, I'm thinking 5000, at Tilburg can cover the flights?

Not keen, just not dismissing the idea. If it works for everyone and the numbers stack up for both clubs.

I'm sure those supporters who already vist both clubs will still make their trips in both directions regardless of if the two sides meet.

I do like Willem II and their fans, nothing wrong with having friends and their supporters have shown genuine class towards us when we’ve lost well known City fans in the past as well as welcoming us to their home.

I can’t imagine the club ever arranging a friendly with them unfortunately but there you go.

• Like 5

Yeah, this is a total non starter.

For those that don’t know of the link between two fans groups, it’s a second division Dutch side. Hardly screams glamour and one that will get the neutrals in, before you even consider if it would be beneficial to the first team. I know a lot of people on here have connections to Willem but probably 90% of City fans don’t, and you’re asking for a pre season crowd of c2-3000 and a loss making exercise. It’s totally different from the community games at places like Hallen where they keep the funds and it’s City giving back to the area - this is a friendly with no real merit other than for a small percentage of the fanbase, and again, is likely loss making.

Although, it would be worth it to hear Downsy pronounce their forwards name:

6023F146-48E7-4475-BF91-77A625D933ED.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

For those that don’t know of the link between two fans groups, it’s a second division Dutch side. Hardly screams glamour and one that will get the neutrals in, before you even consider if it would be beneficial to the first team. I know a lot of people on here have connections to Willem but probably 90% of City fans don’t, and you’re asking for a pre season crowd of c2-3000 and a loss making exercise. It’s totally different from the community games at places like Hallen where they keep the funds and it’s City giving back to the area - this is a friendly with no real merit other than for a small percentage of the fanbase, and again, is likely loss making.

He'd probably get it wrong and pronounce it Kamphorn Jizz ? 

• Haha 5

There are two sort of pre-season matches. One should be for the benefit of the team, to enable it to prepare for the coming season and the other is a community event.  A match against Willy II or 11 is neither 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Maybe does a sideliner in the 'movies'? ?

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I know very little about the club, other than various fans from both teams know each other.

Would a game against them be helpful or useful? By that I mean is their style of play similar to a Championship side, is the standard equivalent and all that sort of thing.

A trip to Tilburg, makes more sense than going to Latvia etc.   

Dutch football is different to English football or was. Many teams in England use models of play that are Dutch like.  Burnley played like a team from the Netherlands. English football has undoubtedly been influenced by the Netherlands. Our national youth development and academies are again undoubtedly influenced by the Netherlands. 

Bristol City FC have been formerly approached, and evidently its a non starter. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

I was there but have never heard of Eremenko or Papazaharias. Also wasnt Frankie Artus supposed to be the next big thing at the time, destined for a huge future?

Trialists, from memory the first one (despite the name) was a midfielder from Finland, second one a Greek centre back.

Obviously didn’t sign either but can’t recall if this was their only game or GJ gave them any other chances before moving on.

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

You rarely keep a clean sheet if Jizz is involved.  

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

On 01/05/2023 at 14:13, Port Said Red said:

Pronounced Villhelm Tway as well

Just thought I would throw that into pedantry pot. :)

Well if we’re playing pedantry, it’s actually pronounced Vill-em not Vill-helm ?

As someone who is highly proficient* in het nederlands, I’m of course happy to point out these intricacies where needed. 
*not at all proficient but I do know how to say some random obscure words so I reckon that qualifies me 

Anyway I have my own obscure Dutch team I’d like us to play in a friendly but that’s even less likely to happen than this one (and I can’t see this happening, if it was going to it surely would have by now?). 

• Like 1