IGNORED

The earliest map of Ashton Gate…apparently.

RedLionLad

4 hours ago, gornagain said:

This one's from 1905

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101460286

It shows both grounds

St Johns Lane looks a bit more substantial on that map. 

It could just be a quirk of the map, but Ashton Gate looks like it's in a slightly different location to what we have today, though the stand indicated on the map looks like the same a shape as the one that pre-dated the Dolman. If it was also a cricket ground it was presumably 3 sided ? 

This is a very poor attempt at making an old map. It seems to show one of the bonded tobacco warehouses or a tobacco factory in North Street which were built 1900 ish and at the same time the SS Great Britain which left in the mid 1800s. 

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

This is a very poor attempt at making an old map. It seems to show one of the bonded tobacco warehouses or a tobacco factory in North Street which were built 1900 ish and at the same time the SS Great Britain which left in the mid 1800s. 

I think it's a deliberate joke, Pogo.  A number of the suburbs named on the map didn't exist when maps looked like that. 

1 hour ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

This has just come up on my Facebook feed. Someone is doing a project making a Lord of the Rings style map of Bristol, and as it is unfinished is asking for any unusual landmarks that can go on it. So it is totally new.

It was posted here for a laugh 

15 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

To clarify, it is a modern map ‘Lord of the Rings style’

Are you sure?

I'm sure I can just make out( very faintly because it's worn away over the centuries) "ye olde village green" at Ashton Vale with a dog walking path thereto.

:whistle2:

Edited by downendcity
  • Haha 3