In, out and maybe

Jerseybean

13 hours ago, Dredd said:

Out

Kalas JD Wilson Scott Bajic

Potential surprise outs

Vyner Williams Downsy

Ins

No names but CB x 2 LB CM x 2 (one being the Scottish lad who can cover a number of positions) plus maybe one surprise we don't see coming

Shires in for Downsey?

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Does it? 

Williams and Naismith can't be relied upon for an entire season. King is at the end of his career and Matty James also has his issues with injuries from time to time. We will have to see if Benarous can fully recover. 

We need a proper midfield destroyer. We've not had one since Paul Hartley. None of our players can be described as one of them. Naismith is more of a deep laying play maker imo. James can play cdm out of need but he's played the vast majority of his career as a cm. He does a job at cdm but he isn't a midfield destroyer. Williams is probably the closest we've got to a midfield destroyer but I wouldn't describe him as one either. 

In my opinion we need that destroyer and a box to box midfielder and then some sort of replacement for Scott and then maybe someone who can provide cover/competition for James. 

I think Williams will be soon be on the way out due to his injury record.

If we're gonna play with 3 in the midfield then we need 5/6 midfielders in the squad imo to ensure we have competition and cover. 

You’re entitled to your opinion but Naismith usually has a better availability record than this season, he started 45 for Luton the year before.

Williams has actually been in the match day squad 35 times this season with a game to go, 36/46 isn’t too shabby at all.

James started 32 last season, this season he’s started…32, great for planning, we can expect to need someone to fill in for him 14 times. He’s our best midfielder.

King will certainly reduce his game time but as someone who didn’t expect him to feature 25 times as he’s done & be available for all 46 I’m not writing him off.

Pearson talks about not collecting players & as Massengo really hasn’t been part of the squad much this season I don’t see us effectively replacing Scott with 3 players.

My recollection of Hartley’s one season was he struggled to play Saturday then midweek, I actually thought peak Korey Smith was better than him, myself & Matty James is at least his equal..

My guess is we will retain:

O’ Leary 

Tanner

Wilson

Vyner

Atkinson 

Naismith

Pring

James

King

Williams 

Benarous 

Taylor-Clarke 

Weimann

Sykes 

Cornick

Wells

Conway

Bell

Mehmeti 

I am uncertain on Bajic and think we will lose Dasilva, Kalas and Scott.

Signing-wise I reckon two CB, one LB, one CM, one CM-cum-forward and perhaps a Goalkeeper. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Ins: Ross McCrorie, 

Maybe: Jack Currie, Joe Bryan, Kasper Schmeichel

Outs: Alex Scott, HNM, Kalas, DaSilva, Bajic, Kane Wilson, and King to be retained as a coach.

Would not be surprised if Weimann or Pring moved on either. 

Kasper ?

Not a ghost of a chance.

• Haha 3

As an aside, Kasper Schmeichel was the guest panelist on Sky last night for the Leicester game. He came across very well, and wasn't afraid to challenge some of the statements that outfield players-turned pundits make about goalkeeping.

No mention of his future or anything like that, as you'd expect, but they did talk about his time at Leicester and it's very clear how much he thinks of Nige and that he gives him a lot of the credit for what was in place to enable them to go on and win the league under Ranieri.

4 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Tins also said we will only be recruiting players who we can improve to add value and, potentially, sell on, so this surely rules Bryan out?

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to shatter the hopes of many on here ?.

But who knows, Tins and NP may be making an exception if Joe actually is coming back.

• Robin 1

16 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Does it? 

Williams and Naismith can't be relied upon for an entire season. King is at the end of his career and Matty James also has his issues with injuries from time to time. We will have to see if Benarous can fully recover. 

We need a proper midfield destroyer. We've not had one since Paul Hartley. None of our players can be described as one of them. Naismith is more of a deep laying play maker imo. James can play cdm out of need but he's played the vast majority of his career as a cm. He does a job at cdm but he isn't a midfield destroyer. Williams is probably the closest we've got to a midfield destroyer but I wouldn't describe him as one either. 

In my opinion we need that destroyer and a box to box midfielder and then some sort of replacement for Scott and then maybe someone who can provide cover/competition for James. 

I think Williams will be soon be on the way out due to his injury record.

If we're gonna play with 3 in the midfield then we need 5/6 midfielders in the squad imo to ensure we have competition and cover. 

Good post.

I'd definately give King another year and have him in a player / coach / acadamy role.

Sadly while I think we may offer Kalas another deal on reduced terms, I think his time with us is up.

Dasilva may well end up in another Championship side which could bite us in the arse later on.

There's no way I'd expect HNM to come back. I think his bridges were well and trully burnt with his attitude.

I'd forgotten we still had Taylor Moore in contract. We must have been paying him a kings ransom given how were unable to offload him over the last 7 (yes that's right SEVEN) years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, megansdad said:

don't understand why we would not extend Andy Kings contract. He has been excellent when called upon and is clearly a positive role model for the younger players.

Nigel said in a recent press conference that he wants King to stay. I'm sure a deal will be done.

• Like 2

On 02/05/2023 at 14:43, East End Old Boy said:

Tins also said we will only be recruiting players who we can improve to add value and, potentially, sell on, so this surely rules Bryan out?

On 02/05/2023 at 19:33, Frenchay Red said:

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to shatter the hopes of many on here ?.

But who knows, Tins and NP may be making an exception if Joe actually is coming back.

We have made exceptions before in Nige's time, they might also consider that they can improve Joe by playing him in a slightly different role. If we get him on a "free" (no such thing in reality) then value for money whilst here would be looked at in place of sell on value.

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We have made exceptions before in Nige's time, they might also consider that they can improve Joe by playing him in a slightly different role. If we get him on a "free" (no such thing in reality) then value for money whilst here would be looked at in place of sell on value.

I think it would be a good addition to the squad and I don't imagine Tins would give too much away to the Senior Reds, unless he thought we wouldn't remember any of it because of our age!?