IGNORED

Any excuse?

daored

With recent examples of players of ignoring fans, is there any excuse? On Saturday Leeds players reportedly ignored a number of fans at their hotel prior to the game against Bournemouth, including a young fan with an autograph book. 

Previously arsenal players reportedly ignored a young mascot whilst signing her shirt

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/arsenal-players-slammed-ignore-mascot-nick-knowles-another-go-being-decent-human-beings/blte99e9b6246429489

Is there any excuse for players ignoring fans before a game?

It shows you the character of the person, as when you read about those celebs who are always happy to chat and those who blank their fans and everyone else. Cilla Black usually tops that latter category.

The usual passes are having a bad day or being young and shy.

It's possible for the odd one but all of them doing it is simple arrogance.

Give people vast amounts of money and agents to flatter their ego and they start to believe their own publicity.

This virus is fortunately restricted to the Premiership at present.

22 minutes ago, daored said:

With recent examples of players of ignoring fans, is there any excuse? On Saturday Leeds players reportedly ignored a number of fans at their hotel prior to the game against Bournemouth, including a young fan with an autograph book. 

Previously arsenal players reportedly ignored a young mascot whilst signing her shirt

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/arsenal-players-slammed-ignore-mascot-nick-knowles-another-go-being-decent-human-beings/blte99e9b6246429489

Gary Owers mentioned on RB Saturday after the match, whilst commenting on our players signing for fans, that the great North East god that is Alan Shearer was particularly bad for ignoring his fans (didn’t mention at what times!) 

Just now, Major Isewater said:

It must be down to the individual, there are moments when I don’t want to be recognised and others when I am happy to talk and have my photo taken with fans. 

I think I can safely say that I am speaking for all the forum in saying that we understand that and so further appreciate the good days.

• Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/01/leeds-consider-sacking-javi-gracia-and-hiring-third-manager-of-season

Players statement here:

“As the first team squad at Leeds United we wanted to reach out to the fan base regarding yesterday’s game and subsequent posts on social media,” the players wrote in a collective statement. “Firstly, the performance was not good enough. There is no other way to look at it and the only way to respond is on the pitch. Leeds fans travel up and down the country in huge numbers and deserve more than this.

“What is just as concerning to us as a group is the video online of us leaving the hotel. Words can’t express how sorry we are that the youngster in the video wearing the Leeds kit is not shown more love from the squad. There is no excuse for not acknowledging fans.

“On a matchday we do an activation walk, before and after this we stop for photos and autographs to ensure we interact with fans, but that we are also on time when leaving for games. However, there is no excuse for not acknowledging fans and if the parents of the fan wearing the Leeds kit in the video could make themselves known to us, we would be grateful.”

52 minutes ago, daored said:

I think the issue with the Arsenal players and mascot was shown to be disingenuous, they had interacted with her before or afterwards. I could be wrong. 

Plus, I’d like to add that some players are quite shy and awkward when meeting fans, for them they can’t get used to it, plus if they’ve played badly, they would be concerned about the abuse that they might think they’ll get.

My suspicion is that it gets worse the higher you go and perhaps isn't always player led. Pre game certainly couple of hours pre game the club will want you focused front, centre and baxk on the game in hand especially an important one. Post game, absolutely. That said can depend on the individual, NP seems happy to stop for a selfie e.g. which is no surprise at all.

56 minutes ago, !james said:

Total bs. A staff member purposely stood in front of the little boy towards the end of the clip. Probably because he was aware that someone was filming. That staff member should be sacked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No excuse. I can understand that before a game players need to get onto the coach and there won’t be time to sign autographs, and that they be mentally preparing for the match, but to completely ignore fans (particularly children) is awful. However shy players might be, all that is needed in that situation is a wave or “hello” or a simple nod of the head. 

It’s an edited video carefully selected to show people not interacting, there’s an article with quotes from the dad somewhere online, basically several of the players and Garcia interacted with his kid and the lad went home having had his day made according to the dad, but they’ve cut the video just to show parts with no interaction

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It’s an edited video carefully selected to show people not interacting, there’s an article with quotes from the dad somewhere online, basically several of the players and Garcia interacted with his kid and the lad went home having had his day made according to the dad, but they’ve cut the video just to show parts with no interaction

Pretty much the same thing was said about the recent Arsenal video

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Must admit I find it a bit strange that a few adults would stand there waiting for an autograph from a Footballer. Understandable if it's for the children

There's a massive amount of blokes who collect the autographs then flog them online for a small fortune. Getting pictures or shirts signed. Premier league players autographs sell for big money, especially to overseas customers in Japan, Asia, States. 

• Like 2

IMO never an excuse. There are some good characters out there, don't get me wrong, but most are arrogant, overpaid p-ricks.

Just smiling, saying hello, or just a wave or acknowledgment is all it takes to make a young kids day.

There are some players that would go out of their way to do that, as it would also make their day just to see a kids face light up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, daored said:

That has to be pre ordained, the security guy even blocks the little one, really poor.

Without the fans there's no game.

I hope the little guy wasn't too upset.

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The adults with their binders etc looked like professional autograph hunters to me. 

Back in the day, when Joe was interested in getting photos / autographs of the players, there was always one if two there with binders.  Usually containing photos or drawings that they were trying to get signed.  They seemed to known to the players, so from my perspective probably had collected their autographs in the past too…suggesting selling them on afterwards.

3 hours ago, Offside said:

No excuse. I can understand that before a game players need to get onto the coach and there won’t be time to sign autographs, and that they be mentally preparing for the match, but to completely ignore fans (particularly children) is awful. However shy players might be, all that is needed in that situation is a wave or “hello” or a simple nod of the head. 

Now, Michael Jackson, huge superstar, always had time for kids. 

• Haha 1