IGNORED

Martin Tyler Comment

Super

Apparently Sky have spoken to him regarding his comment about the Son tackle on Gakpo at the weekend

Tyler compared the incident to something you might see in "martial arts" and his words were met with backlash by some, who deemed his words to be racist, owing to Son's Asian heritage.

Clearly a nothing comment which some have jumped on. Ridiculous.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

They should be more concerned over how his commentary was so limp and lifeless in what will be go down as one the crazier finishes to a game in Prem history. Totally sucked the life out of a huge moment. 

He's so far past being a good commentator now it's laughable. 

He's miles better than the crap on sky last night!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

They probably just had a quiet word about the way it could have been perceived. He probably had no thought about who the player was.

Respectfully, let’s not start another culture wars discussion….. nothing new ever gets said

Exactly. It’s a non-story. He said something slightly careless, Sky had a quiet word and that is the end of it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Exactly. It’s a non-story. He said something slightly careless, Sky had a quiet word and that is the end of it.

You can imagine the type of people that found his comment racist. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

They should be more concerned over how his commentary was so limp and lifeless in what will be go down as one the crazier finishes to a game in Prem history. Totally sucked the life out of a huge moment. 

He's so far past being a good commentator now it's laughable. 

Yeah agree. Should really be apologising for how boring he is... Unless it's Man United of course.

17 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Is that because the commentator was a woman? 

17 minutes ago, Super said:

You can imagine the type of people that found his comment racist. 

No easier than I can imagine the type of people who are upset that a national sports broadcaster had a quiet word with one of their team about being considerate in their language. There is no need at all to turn this into any more than it is.

• Like 1

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

No easier than I can imagine the type of people who are upset that a national sports broadcaster had a quiet word with one of their team about being considerate in their language. There is no need at all to turn this into any more than it is.

Fair enough i just have no idea why they even had a quiet word.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Fair enough i just have no idea why they even had a quiet word.

Because it's unconscious bias? 

Just because he's Asian, why should he be dubbed with martial art comments? It's crass and lazy.

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

37 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I had to watch that with the volume on 1. Could hardly hear the commentator and Alan Smith came across with his usual nonsense. Luckily my Mrs didn't ask why I had the sound almost off, otherwise that would have been yet another debate.

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

Just because he's Asian, why should he be dubbed with martial art comments? It's crass and lazy.

Would you consider it unconscious bias if he likened a hoo-haa involving Lucas Moura or Richarlison as a bit of Jiu-Jitsu? No, of course you bloody wouldn’t.

Edited by Mr Hankey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Would you consider it unconscious bias if he likened a hoo-haa involving Lucas Moura or Richarlison as a bit of Jiu-Jitsu? No, of course you bloody wouldn’t.

But he didn't say that, so not sure of the relevance.

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I had to watch that with the volume on 1. Could hardly hear the commentator and Alan Smith came across with his usual nonsense. Luckily my Mrs didn't ask why I had the sound almost off, otherwise that would have been yet another debate.

I actually think Pien Meulensteen & Alan Smith are a decent commentary duo, much better than any shite that involves Andy Hinchcliffe!

3 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

What are the circumstances in which you perceive that might happen? In your experience, are references to being fond of martial arts common when talking about Brazilians?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Selred said:

That’s unconscious bias from you too.

Perhaps Martin Tyler saw one person tackle another person and commented how he perceived the tackle. 

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Yeah agree. Should really be apologising for how boring he is... Unless it's Man United of course.

Is that because the commentator was a woman? 

Yes

31 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Instead of "crap", why not say "woman"?

Because that's what you meant, isn't it??

Yes

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I put bein sport on, was much more to my liking!

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

That’s unconscious bias from you too.

Perhaps Martin Tyler saw one person tackle another person and commented how he perceived the tackle. 

Whoa - don't mention anything about the massively biased ones who cry racism at every opportunity possible, (no matter how hard the mental gymnastics they have to go through for it to work in their mind or reality), it's amazing that they seem to be the only ones who are actually seeing the "race" of every individual everywhere. They are like, what do you call it? Is the word I'm looking for racist?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Whoa - don't mention anything about the massively biased ones who cry racism at every opportunity possible, (no matter how hard the mental gymnastics they have to go through for it to work in their mind or reality), it's amazing that they seem to be the only ones who are actually seeing the "race" of every individual everywhere. They are like, what do you call it? Is the word I'm looking for racist?

U ok hon? xx

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7