IGNORED

Martin Tyler Comment

Super

41 minutes ago, Selred said:

Because it's unconscious bias? 

Just because he's Asian, why should he be dubbed with martial art comments? It's crass and lazy.

Was it unconscious bias? If it was a different player involved he may well have said the same thing. 

Was it just an unfortunate turn of phrase made in a split second, that every one of us has done at some point? An unfortunate perfect storm situation rather then an unconscious but premeditated thought.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Was it unconscious bias? If it was a different player involved he may well have said the same thing. 

Was it just an unfortunate turn of phrase made in a split second, that every one of us has done at some point? An unfortunate perfect storm situation rather then an unconscious but premeditated thought.  

I wouldn't say it was a common phrase in football. And it wasn't a different player. 

It's an odd phrase IMO to use for the foul. Most commentators would of said "pull back".

8 minutes ago, tts_city said:

It is so ingrained within your psyche that you refuse to acknowledge when confronted with it, you need to go on a course. 

Genuinely amused by how a handful of posters on here still consider “I know you are but what am I?” to be the height of wit and sophistication.

Just wait until you learn “whoever smelt it dealt it”. You’re in for a treat.

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

I wouldn't say it was a common phrase in football. And it wasn't a different player. 

It's an odd phrase IMO to use for the foul. Most commentators would of said "pull back".

It may be an odd phrase, but I don't think that alone is conclusive proof of unconscious bias. If he had a history of these "mishaps" (I don't know if he has) then I think that would be different. 

4 minutes ago, David Brent said:

How is it unconscious bias from Martin Tyler.

I don't believe he was being deliberate in using it for Son. However I do think he wouldn't of said it about another player.

It was a lack of thinking. Which he should still do better.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

You can imagine the type of people that found his comment racist. 

Well you’ll have to imagine, because it doesn’t seem like many, if any did?

Just another typical story to stoke the divide again, and people jump at the opportunity to let us know what they think about “those” people, as imaginary as they may be.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Well you’ll have to imagine, because it doesn’t seem like many, if any did?

Just another typical story to stoke the divide again, and people jump at the opportunity to let us know what they think about “those” people, as imaginary as they may be.

Some did hence why Sky had a word with him.

My God!   Two pages dedicated to a passing remark, that was, i am pretty certain,   not intended as a sleight on the Asian race?.   What a pheckin great "Typhoon in a Demitasse"?   Sorry if this in anyway upsets any French readers?   Sorry "Tornado in a Stein".......oh no! that might upset the Germans?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

I like Martin Tyler, he’s had a fantastic career in commentary but if I was Sky, I would be looking to change next season.

He is sadly past it.

Have to say i agree with this. A bit similar to Graham Souness, a legend of the game but i think he has probably bowed out at the right time. Everyone has their sell by date unfortunately!

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

They probably just had a quiet word about the way it could have been perceived. He probably had no thought about who the player was.

Respectfully, let’s not start another culture wars discussion….. nothing new ever gets said

You tried buddy, you tried

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Some did hence why Sky had a word with him.

The problem is these days people take to Twitter to moan, and often deliberately just to wind people up or make tongue-in-cheek faux offence remarks - then these online publications write articles and quote tweets as their source.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

As soon as he said it I thought oh dear, probably not the last we've heard of that. I really don't think he meant anything by it for whatever that's worth.

The same as when he said the Ukraine keeper will have to "soldier on"  He clearly meant nothing by it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Selred said:

I don't believe he was being deliberate in using it for Son. However I do think he wouldn't of said it about another player.

It was a lack of thinking. Which he should still do better.

Easy to make a mistake without thinking isn't it? Some might say you need to put some more thought into your grammar and do better. Others might accept that people make unintentional mistakes and not be so judgmental on the matter.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Apparently Sky have spoken to him regarding his comment about the Son tackle on Gakpo at the weekend

Tyler compared the incident to something you might see in "martial arts" and his words were met with backlash by some, who deemed his words to be racist, owing to Son's Asian heritage.

Clearly a nothing comment which some have jumped on. Ridiculous.

The People who have picked up on this innocuous remark are sad, deluded and absurd.........and should try to take up a hobby.......do they really have nothing better to do?         

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Super said:

The same as when he said the Ukraine keeper will have to "soldier on"  He clearly meant nothing by it.

When your job is to fill silence for 90 minutes twice a week you're going to say the odd thing that comes across a little funky just by chance. I don't think anyone truly believes he's a racist over a comment that innocuous. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, maxjak said:

The People who have picked up on this innocuous remark are sad, deluded and absurd.........and should try to take up a hobby.......do they really have nothing better to do?         

Ironically, but not unpredictably, there are many more people in this thread moaning bitterly about people being offended than there are offended people.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, 2015 said:

Yeah agree. Should really be apologising for how boring he is... Unless it's Man United of course.

Is that because the commentator was a woman? 

Wooow you can’t say that , here comes some more offended people 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Super said:

Apparently Sky have spoken to him regarding his comment about the Son tackle on Gakpo at the weekend

Tyler compared the incident to something you might see in "martial arts" and his words were met with backlash by some, who deemed his words to be racist, owing to Son's Asian heritage.

Clearly a nothing comment which some have jumped on. Ridiculous.

I’m afraid we live in a world where the unofended get offended for the offended , very sad people I’m afraid 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I like Martin Tyler, he’s had a fantastic career in commentary but if I was Sky, I would be looking to change next season.

He is sadly past it.

It’s easy to say he’s past it , personally don’t agree , however you need better coming through perhaps that’s where the problem lies , not much coming through to push him out , just a theory 

4 hours ago, Stortz said:

Ironically, but not unpredictably, there are many more people in this thread moaning bitterly about people being offended than there are offended people.

One of my sayings people getting offended for the offended again