IGNORED

Left back

Spoonbed

6 hours ago, Negan said:

Crazy to think we’ve got it so right at left back and so wrong at right back. Think I’ve seen us with 2 truly decent ones. Orr and Little with the latter mostly being decent during the double winning side. Other than that we’ve just not had that consistent performer. HOWEVER… Tanner is growing very well there. Shame Wilson hasn’t had an impact. Pring has just been excellent, made the position his own now. 

I always thought Louis Carey did well at right back,especially with Murray on the right wing!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, magunn said:

Seem to remember Sir Geoff Merrick playing at left back after the arrival of Norman Hunter, coupled with Collier and Sweeney that was a quality back four. That said I think Brennan was the best in that LB position. I think he went to Forest for over 1.5M which was quite a lot for a 'lower' league defender in the last century (Christ I'm old) 

I always felt sorry for Geoff Merrick.

He was outstanding as a centre back in partnership with Gary Collier, but seemed to lose something when he was moved to left back in order to accommodate Norman Hunter.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dredd said:

Craig Woodman probably the only one who didn't set the world on fire but I wouldn't say he was poor. Fairly solid. Danny Rose?

Craig always got a lot of stick, inexplicably in my view. Apparently Tinnion didn't like him. What I saw was a cultured left-back who didn't get the encouragement to develop and get a regular place in the team. On his day he was more than capable of dealing with high quality players such as Izale McLeod who he blotted out of the game in our win at MK Dons in 2006.

As for Danny Rose what a w***er. My memory of him was him trotting back away from the centre of play, totally uninterested in playing for Bristol City at Reading. Maybe (probably) we couldn't handle him 

Edited by southvillekiddy

54 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Craig always got a lot of stick, inexplicably in my view. Apparently Tinnion didn't like him. What I saw was a cultured left-back who didn't get the encouragement to develop and get a regular place in the team. On his day he was more than capable of dealing with high quality players such as Izale McLeod who he blotted out of the game in our win at MK Dons in 2006.

As for Danny Rose what a w***er. My memory of him was him trotting back away from the centre of play, totally uninterested in playing for Bristol City at Reading. Maybe (probably) we couldn't handle him 

To be fair with Woodman, he was a bit like Flapper Philips - decent enough for the level we were at, but was never going to be a top end player. His career trajectory after leaving us proves as much.

As a side note, he is actually still playing at age 40, for Tiverton.

8 minutes ago, Taz said:

To be fair with Woodman, he was a bit like Flapper Philips - decent enough for the level we were at, but was never going to be a top end player. His career trajectory after leaving us proves as much.

As a side note, he is actually still playing at age 40, for Tiverton.

Yes I saw that. Fair play to him. Must have found his level as you say and he must be happy to keep playing at that age

• Like 1

I'm super old, agree with most of the above, glad someone mentioned Russell Bromage, who overlapped his overlaps. My personal favourite was probably Martin Scott, because I might meet him one day and don't want to upset him...

PS: Inevitably, back in the day, Rob Newman played there once or twice and was perfectly good.

Edited by SecretSam
of=or

No but I remember him and all the left backs since 1950. Here goes.

Jack Bailey, Mike Thresher, Alec Briggs, the only right footed one. Bryan Drysdale, Geoff Merrick, only in First Division, Terry Cooper. That takes us up to 1980 and over to all the previous mentioned.

My number one of all time is Mike Thresher.

• Like 1

Matty Hill used to play a lot at left back from what I recall. Better at centre back, but all round top player and top bloke ?

Mickey Bell and Joe Bryan both scored cracking goals against the gash so they probably get my vote as all time favourites though