IGNORED

Left back

Spoonbed

Apart from Ryan Mcgivern ( shudder) I’m struggling to think of a poor left back who has played for us in the last 35 odd years. 
Pringy superb again today, DaSilva would get in a lot of champ teams. 
From John Bailey to Cam Pring, seems to be our “lucky position”

• Like 2

Crazy to think we’ve got it so right at left back and so wrong at right back. Think I’ve seen us with 2 truly decent ones. Orr and Little with the latter mostly being decent during the double winning side. Other than that we’ve just not had that consistent performer. HOWEVER… Tanner is growing very well there. Shame Wilson hasn’t had an impact. Pring has just been excellent, made the position his own now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Negan said:

Crazy to think we’ve got it so right at left back and so wrong at right back. Think I’ve seen us with 2 truly decent ones. Orr and Little with the latter mostly being decent during the double winning side. Other than that we’ve just not had that consistent performer. HOWEVER… Tanner is growing very well there. Shame Wilson hasn’t had an impact. Pring has just been excellent, made the position his own now. 

Thought Adam Locke was very good also. Even Lleweyllyn was a trier, but certainly struggled in that position. 
Hopefully Tanner will continue his improvement 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

Even the “ not quite so good ones”, such as Derrick Williams and Brendan Maloney were still very decent

Did Maloney ever play on the left? Predominantly a right back.

8 minutes ago, tin said:

Martin Scott, Darren Barnard, Jim Brennan, Mickey Bell,b Joe Bryan, Cam Pring - we’ve certainly been blessed at LB in the last 30 years. The complete opposite to the other side of defence! 

Those four were all top drawer left backs as was John Bailey. City had some very decent left backs over the years. Lloyd Kelly was also a very classy at left back. It was in that position that he was first noticed. Now a CB at B’muff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Not a LB though. Did love Humph though

Fair shout- memory not what it was, always thought he was a decent stalwart during our promotion season under Jordan, but now remember it was John Bailey at left back for most of that season 

• Like 1

Just now, MC RISK77 said:

Fair shout- memory not what it was, always thought he was a decent stalwart during our promotion season under Jordan, but now remember it was John Bailey at left back for most of that season 

I have fond memories of Glenn Humphries “dealing” with Devon White especially at Twerton.

Seem to remember Sir Geoff Merrick playing at left back after the arrival of Norman Hunter, coupled with Collier and Sweeney that was a quality back four. That said I think Brennan was the best in that LB position. I think he went to Forest for over 1.5M which was quite a lot for a 'lower' league defender in the last century (Christ I'm old) 

32 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Going back further Bryan Drysdale, Alec Briggs and Mike Thresher were all more than decent left backs. 

Alec was a rare right footed left back at City when he  was converted from a right  back to the left when Mike Thresher retired and Tony Ford came in at right back.

5 hours ago, Spoonbed said:

Thought Adam Locke was very good also. Even Lleweyllyn was a trier, but certainly struggled in that position. 
Hopefully Tanner will continue his improvement 

I’d forgotten about Adam Locke! He was a very classy right back.

It was Llewelyn’s scuffed shot that led to the first goal v Chelsea when we beat them in the cup in the 89-90 promotion season. 

Edited by Offside