IGNORED

Next season formation/lineup

BLRed

Although 4 at the back has served us well recently as it suits the players we have I personally feel we will go back to a 3-5-2 next season once we acquire the players we are after.

we will likely be getting a dominating ball winning cb in obrien to sit inbetween two ball playing cb’s.

pearson also loves our wing backs to get forward and join the attack. Despite what everyone is saying about wilson, I think he is part of the longer term plan to go back to this formation and compete with tanner. Equally if we signed bryan to compete with pring, it also leans towards the argument of wing backs going 100% every game for 45 mins and sharing the load to minimise injury whilst maximising on pitch output.

I also believe Pearson like two up top and another reason for my suspected formation change. Shared between wells, Conway, bell and cornick.

I feel the two deep lying playmakers/defensive midfielders would be shared between James, Naismith, Williams and Mcrorie with the two Scotsmen able to fill in at cb when needed/preferred.

the advanced playmaker to be scott if still around or shared between mehmeti, weimann, Sykes and Benarous on return.

overall, we should have a decent squad with numerous utility players to help cover in light of injuries. That’s just with three additions and without spending any money from a potential Scott sale. If we kept Scott then even better

Pearson credited the season turnaround in part to the formation change so I can't see it.

I can see it being a fallback, a possible Plan B be it for different games or in-game. In that scenario Naismith drops and the full backs become wing backs to some extent, but unsure who else we have that can perform that role tactically.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BLRed said:

Although 4 at the back has served us well recently as it suits the players we have I personally feel we will go back to a 3-5-2 next season once we acquire the players we are after.

we will likely be getting a dominating ball winning cb in obrien to sit inbetween two ball playing cb’s.

pearson also loves our wing backs to get forward and join the attack. Despite what everyone is saying about wilson, I think he is part of the longer term plan to go back to this formation and compete with tanner. Equally if we signed bryan to compete with pring, it also leans towards the argument of wing backs going 100% every game for 45 mins and sharing the load to minimise injury whilst maximising on pitch output.

I also believe Pearson like two up top and another reason for my suspected formation change. Shared between wells, Conway, bell and cornick.

I feel the two deep lying playmakers/defensive midfielders would be shared between James, Naismith, Williams and Mcrorie with the two Scotsmen able to fill in at cb when needed/preferred.

the advanced playmaker to be scott if still around or shared between mehmeti, weimann, Sykes and Benarous on return.

overall, we should have a decent squad with numerous utility players to help cover in light of injuries. That’s just with three additions and without spending any money from a potential Scott sale. If we kept Scott then even better

Can't see it myself. 

We've played well using a 4231 type formation. 

Our two defensive midfielders allow our full backs to play further up when attacking. 

Pring's cross against QPR for the second a prime example. 

A full explanation of how it works can be seen here...giving info when in possession and out of it. 

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/the-4-2-3-1-football-tactics-pochettino-guardiola-flick-southgate/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be or not to be a back 4? That is the first question. While we can play a 3, it's difficult to believe it won't be a 4. 

Then, will it be 1 or 2 up top - do Conway & Wells play together or go solo? (We'll mix and match)

The midfield fits around the shape we choose back and front but will be centred around James. For me, with Naismith alongside. 

Which leaves: 

1. Where does Weimann fit in?

2. We consistently get into good wide areas but fail to deliver the killer final pass. Sykes has more red cards than assists, Bell is little better. Kane Wilson, on the other hand, had 14 assists last season (21/22) and delivering accurate passes from wide areas is his strength. Are we looking a gift horse in the mouth here? Or do we wait for Sykes/Bell/Mehmeti to improve? How long do we wait? In no doubt is the fact we could do with scoring a few more goals - Conway and/or Wells are good enough if supplied enough. 

3. We must find goals from midfield.

4. Where would Bryan fit in (can't believe he'd return just to be back up)?

5. What is Harry Cornick?

6. If Max O'Leary is the answer, what is the question? 

Questions, questions, questions. 

To which the short answer is - depends on who we sign. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

6 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

To be or not to be a back 4? That is the first question. While we can play a 3, it's difficult to believe it won't be a 4. 

Then, will it be 1 or 2 up top - do Conway & Wells play together or go solo? (We'll mix and match)

The midfield fits around the shape we choose back and front but will be centred around James. For me, with Naismith alongside. 

Which leaves: 

1. Where does Weimann fit in?

2. We consistently get into good wide areas but fail to deliver the killer final pass. Sykes has more red cards than assists, Bell is little better. Kane Wilson, on the other hand, had 14 assists last season (21/22) and delivering accurate passes from wide areas is his strength. Are we looking a gift horse in the mouth here? Or do we wait for Sykes/Bell/Mehmeti to improve? How long do we wait? In no doubt is the fact we could do with scoring a few more goals - Conway and/or Wells are good enough if supplied enough. 

3. We must find goals from midfield.

4. Where would Bryan fit in (can't believe he'd return just to be back up)?

5. What is Harry Cornick?

6. If Max O'Leary is the answer, what is the question? 

Questions, questions, questions. 

To which the short answer is - depends on who we sign. 

Good questions, which I have no doubt Pearson is aware of. And I just don't see Bryan coming back. And do all this do dependant on in and out goings