IGNORED

Average Away Followings 2022/23

Clevedon Red

• The title was changed to Average Away Followings 2022/23

Was the 209 at Huddersfield on a midweek night cold enough to freeze off your extremities and few other things besides?

Sorry to be the statistical pedant but the problem with this is that mean (average) is a really poor statistical measure for this type of distribution of data. Far better would be a median with ranges for both the crowd size and the distances. Our only sub 50 mile trip is Cardiff, and at push only Swansea, Reading, West Brom, Birmingham and Coventry are less than 100 miles. The same issue affects Cardiff to a similar degree and Swansea even more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Was the 209 at Huddersfield on a midweek night cold enough to freeze off your extremities and few other things besides?

Sorry to be the statistical pedant but the problem with this is that mean (average) is a really poor statistical measure for this type of distribution of data. Far better would be a median with ranges for both the crowd size and the distances. Our only sub 50 mile trip is Cardiff, and at push only Swansea, Reading, West Brom, Birmingham and Coventry are less than 100 miles. The same issue affects Cardiff to a similar degree and Swansea even more.

Also it doesnt take into account how much the allocations were. Like we only took 1700 to QPR and 2000 to Watford but could have taken at least several hundred more for each IMO. 

12 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Sorry for being thick but i cant understand these figures

As i read it

In the championship bit it says Bristol City Ave 1144

In League one it says Bristol Rovers 975 !!!

Am i reading this correct or did they just miss a 0 off the rovers figure

No.column for "locked out" fans!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

To be fair, it tries to bring that in - there’s a column on there where it says how much percentage greater or less than the average distance fans had to travel fans of that club did. We rank 6th for above average distance there - behind Sunderland, Boro, Swansea, Cardiff and bizarrely Millwall.

17 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Looks like Plymouth had the furthest to travel last season out of the whole EFL and still managed an average of 1630. Fair play. 

But then they have had a stellar season and it’s probably easier to get bigger away allocations at many League One grounds, where the home club will be keen to maximise income from more away fans, than it is in the Championship.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

But then they have had a stellar season and it’s probably easier to get bigger away allocations at many League One grounds, where the home club will be keen to maximise income from more away fans, than it is in the Championship.

Yes there’s probably some truth in what you say, although I know they sold out many games so could be higher.

But I think you’re being a bit hard on them, the miles they have to travel and to average 500 more than us travelling to places like Burton and Morecambe in the third tier is a magnificent effort.

I’m only guessing but I reckon it’s more than we averaged when doing the double in that league a few years ago and we didn’t have as far to travel.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I was at Huddersfield and reckon 400 plus were there. Maybe the 209 was the televised end of season midweek game at Sheffield United? 

3 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

And Sunderland - only one trip less than 100 miles.

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes there’s probably some truth in what you say, although I know they sold out many games so could be higher.

But I think you’re being a bit hard on them, the miles they have to travel and to average 500 more than us travelling to places like Burton and Morecambe in the third tier is a magnificent effort.

I’m only guessing but I reckon it’s more than we averaged when doing the double in that league a few years ago and we didn’t have as far to travel.

Be interesting to see that, we took loads away that season, this has been my worst season for away games, only been to 4 

7 hours ago, Rob k said:

Be interesting to see that, we took loads away that season, this has been my worst season for away games, only been to 4 

Yes we had some massive followings that season at MK Dons and a Coventry in particular.

I seem to remember it being an average around 1400. I’ll see if I can find it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes we had some massive followings that season at MK Dons and a Coventry in particular.

Found each away following on the main site, so if my maths are correct and I’ve weeded  out the cup games correctly……..

Our average League away following that season was 1,384. With a massive 5109 at MKD and 3794 at Coventry.

So this will be the last time I praise them but an excellent effort from Plymouth with their fans scattered across Devon and Cornwall. I know from my own experiences, you get back to Bristol from an away game and still have that last stretch down to Devon is a pain in the backside. 

7 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Found each away following on the main site, so if my maths are correct and I’ve weeded  out the cup games correctly……..

Our average League away following that season was 1,384. With a massive 5109 at MKD and 3794 at Coventry.

So this will be the last time I praise them but an excellent effort from Plymouth with their fans scattered across Devon and Cornwall. I know from my own experiences, you get back to Bristol from an away game and still have that last stretch down to Devon is a pain in the backside. 

Yeah i worked it out to be exactly the same so not quite as good as i remembered, fair play to Plymouth fans, it’s another 2hrs to go for them from Bristol - good effort 

8 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Yeah i worked it out to be exactly the same so not quite as good as i remembered, fair play to Plymouth fans, it’s another 2hrs to go for them from Bristol - good effort 

We had some great away days that season but looking at the list now we had some difficult one’s too. Doncaster, Peterborough, Colchester, Fleetwood……..

13 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Sheffield to name but three surely travel further than us ?
I think our away support is pretty damn good considering certain performances and lack of importance hinging on the matches. 
I am sure that will increase as our results and performances improve.

51 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Sheffield to name but three surely travel further than us ?
I think our away support is pretty damn good considering certain performances and lack of importance hinging on the matches. 
I am sure that will increase as our results and performances improve.

According to the table we’re the 7th furthest travelled fans in the championship.

On 11/05/2023 at 07:40, ralphindevon said:

The season we won the league with Cotts, around five or six games from the end there was a situation where Plymouth could have gone up to League One and Swindon could have come up with us.

If that had happened, Plymouth`s closest away game the following season would have been Walsall!

On 11/05/2023 at 07:24, ralphindevon said:

Our best season for big away followings must have been that first season back up in the Championship with Gary Johnson - 2007/08 - the play off season. Pretty sure we averaged about 1,800 that season, didn't we?

14 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Our best season for big away followings must have been that first season back up in the Championship with Gary Johnson - 2007/08 - the play off season. Pretty sure we averaged about 1,800 that season, didn't we?

Good shout, yeah I was living abroad then so only got to about 4 games plus Wembley of course.

We had some big clubs with us like Wolves, Palace, Leicester, Southampton so it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

22 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Found it. A very respectable 1767.

Just watching the L1 playoff on tv and was just thinking, we really are due another season like that. And I’ve a funny feeling it isn’t far away, maybe just months!

15 years since we were involved in the playoffs and never been promoted via them. Our time is near………..hopefully!! 

• Flames 1