IGNORED

Milan v Inter

Super

58 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And that’s also why they are called Milan and not Milano, ie the anglicised name of the City. And, for similar reasons, why one of the two Genova clubs is called Genoa. 

And why Curva Nord (the Inter end) had a big banner saying "Milano"

Inter were formed because Milan wouldn't accept non-Italian players playing for them, hence the name Internazionale.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And why Curva Nord (the Inter end) had a big banner saying "Milano"

Inter were formed because Milan wouldn't accept non-Italian players playing for them, hence the name Internazionale.

I don’t know if I’m imagining this, or just read it once years ago, but I was under the impression that Inter used to firmly reject any mention of Milan or Milano as part of their name. And that they were adamant that it was simply ‘Internazionale’. It’s still the case that’s their name, but when people talk about Milan in the same sentence they seem slightly more relaxed about it now!?

This discussion got me thinking about Juventus too! I just googled it and apparently that name comes from the Latin word for the Italian ‘gioventu’, which means ‘youngster’. So, originally, formed as a club that was made up of promising young players from the Torino area. Never knew that before, so like @PhilC I’ve learnt something too!!!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, italian dave said:

This discussion got me thinking about Juventus too! I just googled it and apparently that name comes from the Latin word for the Italian ‘gioventu’, which means ‘youngster’. So, originally, formed as a club that was made up of promising young players from the Torino area. Never knew that before, so like @PhilC I’ve learnt something too!!!

Although, interestingly, they are known familiarly as ‘The Old Lady’.

In fact, it is just a play on words.

There was an interesting article on the athletic about how foreign teams names don't tend to be about the location of the club. So the English press always added the location to the team name as the general public of the time didn't really know where they where.

This wasn't just an English thing. German press used to add London to the likes of Chelsea/arsenal etc

But as public knowledge grew its started to die off a bit.

The strangest thing is how we don't translate some team names, half translate some team names (Bayern Munich),  and fully translate others (Red star Belgrade... where the city is also added).

Again this isn't just an English thing as the Italians used to say "Bayern Monaco" as their half translation. I can imagine that gets very confusing when they actually play Monaco....

Always preferred AC Milan to Inter, growing up with some truly iconic players from AC Milan during the 1990s and 2000s. Italian Football has many many iconic Football clubs, much like the History of Italy.

Didn't know Maldini spoke such excellent English. One of the best Defenders of all time

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Always preferred AC Milan to Inter, growing up with some truly iconic players from AC Milan during the 1990s and 2000s. Italian Football has many many iconic Football clubs, much like the History of Italy.

Didn't know Maldini spoke such excellent English. One of the best Defenders of all time

Spot on. Would get into any greatest ever teams.

16 hours ago, Club and Country said:

I went to the Milan derby in February, and very similar to that night, AC Milan are miles off it 

Have wanted to get to the San Siro for years and now that its due be be demolished at some point in the near future has made me think I need to get my finger out and arrange something.

Is it easy to get tickets or did yu do as some form of organised package deal?  Thanks

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Hmmm... Not sure you're right on that...

Madrid = Real Madrid

La Real = Real Sociedad 

Oh how you disappoint me, la real and real are Miles apart. As a better Spanish speaker than me I expected better. (I did actually doubt myself, so sent a few messages of confirmation ?)

La real is the nickname, literally the royals. It's not the same. (In the way that real and atleti are not nicknames)

if you said, how did real play this weekend? Everybody would assume Madrid. The LA matters ?️

Real/Madrid= it's pretty much in equal measure.

Sociadad/la real = 

Betis 

Ps. Even within this thread, cityexile took the real route

Screenshot_2023-05-11-15-14-01-13_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by The turtle

16 hours ago, italian dave said:

And that’s also why they are called Milan and not Milano, ie the anglicised name of the City. And, for similar reasons, why one of the two Genova clubs is called Genoa. 

17 hours ago, Malago said:

The AC stands for Associazione  Calco which translated means Football Club.  So in English AC Milan are Milan FC.

The club was founded by English expats and was originally called the Milan Football and Cricket Club.

Any idea why a club founded by expats somehow went down the route of not wanting to sign non Italian players?

Seems an odd position to take, thus leading to the creation of inter

1 hour ago, 54-46 said:

Have wanted to get to the San Siro for years and now that its due be be demolished at some point in the near future has made me think I need to get my finger out and arrange something.

Is it easy to get tickets or did yu do as some form of organised package deal?  Thanks

I went to the coppa Italia derby last uear (0-0)

Quite simply , go

What an experience, what a place 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 54-46 said:

I went to watch Milan v Lazio on Saturday, and I got tickets easily on-line. And that was with a 73,000 crowd! (I don't think I'd have had much chance for the semi final!).

All from the Milan website: you have to open a 'MyMilan' account and then just log on using that account and go to the ticket section. It's no more difficult than getting a City ticket. And they're sent electronically so you can print off or put on your phone.

You will need to show some photo ID with the same name etc as the ticket when you get to the ground - and they do check that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 54-46 said:

I did my own thing, flights, Airbnb 

I went when inter were home and was tracking ticket sales on there website, I ended up buying a 'Siamo Noi' card (like our membership ) cost 20 euros but got me into a priority sale and then picked up cheapest tickets for about 80 euro

if you do go through a package, make sure it's an authorised one, as I bumped in to 2 different lots of English lads out there who had been ripped off and never received there tickets and that was about 2 hours before kick off

an incredible experience and an incredible stadium 

• Thanks 1

I tried to get tickets for next weeks game with my membership, fair play to inter they made it virtually impossible for somebody like me (only ever been once) to get a ticket 

heard last nice AC had over 2 million ticket applications

o and as others have said, If you go, absolutely must take your ID as it does get checked and they won't let you in 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Club and Country said:

I went when inter were home and was tracking ticket sales on there website, I ended up buying a 'Siamo Noi' card (like our membership ) cost 20 euros but got me into a priority sale and then picked up cheapest tickets for about 80 euro

if you do go through a package, make sure it's an authorised one, as I bumped in to 2 different lots of English lads out there who had been ripped off and never received there tickets and that was about 2 hours before kick off

Wow, 80 Euros! Inter must think they're worth more than Milan! The cheapest for the Milan Lazio game last week were 24 Euros. Right up in the third tier mind! 

3 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Did you go alone , deffo on my bucket list , I’m deffo gonna start doing some random games in Europe , not necessarily the big names . 

for some reason certain names jump out at me , st ettiene being one. Remember Utd playing them years ago ( there was a fair bit of trouble but the atmosphere looked amazing , 

23 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Wow, 80 Euros! Inter must think they're worth more than Milan! The cheapest for the Milan Lazio game last week were 24 Euros. Right up in the third tier mind! 

That was the cheapest available and we were up in the gods! I looked at other games and Inter certainly do seem to cash in on the derby 

for what it's worth I've also done Roma V Lazio and would say the Milan derby just shades it, mainly due to San Siro 

10 minutes ago, redkev said:

Did you go alone , deffo on my bucket list , I’m deffo gonna start doing some random games in Europe , not necessarily the big names . 

for some reason certain names jump out at me , st ettiene being one. Remember Utd playing them years ago ( there was a fair bit of trouble but the atmosphere looked amazing , 

Went with brother and dad, next game on my list was Genoa v Sampdoria but Sampdoria have been relegated! 

9 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

That was the cheapest available and we were up in the gods! I looked at other games and Inter certainly do seem to cash in on the derby 

for what it's worth I've also done Roma V Lazio and would say the Milan derby just shades it, mainly due to San Siro 

Went with brother and dad, next game on my list was Genoa v Sampdoria but Sampdoria have been relegated! 

Never seen a Milan derby but I can imagine it’s something special! As you say, San Siro is much more of a proper football ground that the Olimpico.

I’ve been to several Rome derbys: so many amazing memories of those. Gascoigne’s first derby when he scored the equaliser in the dying minutes, I ended up about 20m  from my original seat and no idea how! And a night game when the fan displays were unbelievably spectacular! At the other end of the scale I also went to one in the season when the fans were on strike: the crowd was about 20,000, both Curve were half empty and silent! 

Just now, Club and Country said:

Can't wait for this again tonight, purely for the crowd again 

Surely Milan can't be as poor. For me this is the game to see who finishes runners up. Both are levels below MC and RM