IGNORED

Playoffs

Super

3 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Yep playoff for the right to finish 20th in the Prem next season

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

And 1st the season after with parachute payments

Brilliantly sums up what football has come to.

Money, money, money.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

What you are really trying to say, is: "****ing hell. How do we make such a pig's ear of this division?"

Yepp, something not far off that!

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Shows what can be done for clubs like us.

"Clubs like us"!? That's mildly insulting! ;) 

But you're right, the one positive about seeing yet more clubs overtake us is the fact that it illustrates we can (and should) do much more.

2 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Why? They both deserve it.

See HoldenBall's answer below!. As I think other's have now mentioned in the thread, both Luton and Coventry were L2 teams about half a decade ago!

(also, it's a remarkably unsexy fixture for a play-off final between two fairly dislikable teams)

1 minute ago, HoldenBall said:

Agreed. Very underwhelming and frustrating that teams like those two can make it to a play off final and we finish 16th 

Agreed. In the context of the last 1-2 seasons it's not so bad, but in the context of the last 5-10 seasons it makes your stomach turn!

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Yepp, something not far off that!

"Clubs like us"!? That's mildly insulting! ;) 

But you're right, the one positive about seeing yet more clubs overtake us is the fact that it illustrates we can (and should) do much more.

See HoldenBall's answer below!. As I think other's have now mentioned in the thread, both Luton and Coventry were L2 teams about half a decade ago!

(also, it's a remarkably unsexy fixture for a play-off final between two fairly dislikable teams)

Agreed. In the context of the last 1-2 seasons it's not so bad, but in the context of the last 5-10 seasons it makes your stomach turn!

Why is it insulting?

I find the "teams like these getting to the prem" comments quite amusing... I think a lot of people probably see City in a similar bucket to Luton and Coventry... if we're lucky. Yeah both dropped down to L2 briefly in their recent history, but they've also both been in the top division longer than us and more recently than us. Coventry were there for about 30 years for gods sake. We've bobbled between the 2nd and 3rd tier for the last 40 bloody years, with more time in the third than the second!

"Teams like these" indeed... they have a more successful history than us and deserve it this year. Just because it's Luton and they have a shit ground doesn't make us better than them.

If you want to measure on money spent though we'd be way in the lead I suspect... Up the City!

Good luck to them both imo.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

There is always a lot of survivorship bias in these comments. Plenty with more resources with us have gone the other way, and more have not made anywhere near the progress of those two.

Fair play to them. Shows what can be done, let’s embrace it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Yeah and when WE were last in L2 they were both in the top division - so a few years ago they'd have been saying the reverse. We were happy in the championship while they had both dropped all the way from the top division to the bottom.

That's life in the world of football. Everyone seems to see things like this through a very one sided lens.

6 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

And in the context of the last 30-40+ we're a division above our usual place, and Coventry are a division below.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, miser said:

Deserved. 

Really? Not sure I've seen a dirtier team all season. Everytime Boro went forward they fouled. Doyle should have been off. 

The time wasting from their gk was ridiculous and he should have seen red too. The rolling around on the floor from him like he had been shot in the head despite no contact to his head was embarrassing. 

• Confused 1

Typical, I wanted either Boro or Sunderland to go up (proper clubs with Prem history). They will be clogging up the Championship  with plenty of strength and probably obstructing us to get auto or play off positions, either of the other two will be one season wonders and straight back down , with their ill-gotten parachute cash !:grr:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I find the "teams like these getting to the prem" comments quite amusing... I think a lot of people probably see City in a similar bucket to Luton and Coventry... if we're lucky. Yeah both dropped down to L2 briefly in their recent history, but they've also both been in the top division longer than us and more recently than us. Coventry were there for about 30 years for gods sake. We've bobbled between the 2nd and 3rd tier for the last 40 bloody years, with more time in the third than the second!

"Teams like these" indeed... they have a more successful history than us and deserve it this year. Just because it's Luton and they have a shit ground doesn't make us better than them.

If you want to measure on money spent though we'd be way in the lead I suspect... Up the City!

As a TEAM obviously not but as a CLUB definitely .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

That Coventry City is long gone. It's nothing to do with that history. Same for Luton really.

What grates is the oft repeated - defeatist, can't-do attitude - of "we can't compete with parachute payment clubs" of people on here excusing abysmal football decision making by our club.

Truth is, we can't compete with:

Preston

Millwall 

Cov

Luton

Various other minnows/middling Championship clubs.

What also grates is an owner that cannot "own" this truth

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Seems to be a mix of starry eyes from some for Luton and Coventry's ascent or exasperation from others for the extent they have passed us and carried on.

Isn't the real story for us that it is now guaranteed that an overachiever will go up while arguably 2 bigger teams stay down, other big sides come down from the Prem.

Draw your own conclusion on the League 1 sides but next season is definitely going to be a tougher Championship than some of the ones we have so far struggled in.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Really? Not sure I've seen a dirtier team all season. Everytime Boro went forward they fouled. Doyle should have been off. 

The time wasting from their gk was ridiculous and he should have seen red too. The rolling around on the floor from him like he had been shot in the head despite no contact to his head was embarrassing. 

Either will be straight back down !

10 minutes ago, Super said:

Why is it insulting?

It was only a joke! No offence, but you've seemed strangely keen to stick up for Luton (and even Tom Lockyer!) at every opportunity you get in this thread?

But since you've asked, the joke is based on the fact they have a significantly inferior stadium, fanbase, and the town itself is a bit of a dump. It's less funny when you have to explain it though ;) 

6 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Yeah and when WE were last in L2 they were both in the top division - so a few years ago they'd have been saying the reverse. We were happy in the championship while they had both dropped all the way from the top division to the bottom.

That's life in the world of football. Everyone seems to see things like this through a very one sided lens.

See where you're coming from mate, but let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things there is still absolutely no way that a club like Luton Town should be outperforming us.

Even Coventry - on par with us? Sure. But outperforming us? I don't really think so.

• Like 1

Just now, Supersonic Robin said:

It was only a joke! No offence, but you've seemed strangely keen to stick up for Luton (and even Tom Lockyer!) at every opportunity you get in this thread?

But since you've asked, the joke is based on the fact they have a significantly inferior stadium, fanbase, and the town itself is a bit of a dump. It's less funny when you have to explain it though ;) 

See where you're coming from mate, but let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things there is still absolutely no way that a club like Luton Town should be outperforming us.

Even Coventry - on par with us? Sure. But outperforming us? I don't really think so.

Along with Coventry they have had a fantastic season that's why. Credit where its deserved. Hope Cov do it.

Just now, slartibartfast said:

We'll we've NEVER spent years in non league for a start !

Or never won a major trophy.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

That Coventry City is long gone. It's nothing to do with that history. Same for Luton really.

What grates is the oft repeated - defeatist, can't-do attitude - of "we can't compete with parachute payment clubs" of people on here excusing abysmal football decision making by our club.

Truth is, we can't compete with:

Preston

Millwall 

Cov

Luton

Various other minnows/middling Championship clubs.

What also grates is an owner that cannot "own" this truth

It's worth remembering Cov have increased their wages by 9 million plus at a time where we were having to make serious cuts and couldn't really sign anyone. We have had to make do with what we've got.

I'm sure if Pearson was able to increase his budget by 9 million then we'd have got 3 wins more to get into the play offs.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

Seems to be a mix of starry eyes from some for Luton and Coventry's ascent or exasperation from others for the extent they have passed us and carried on.

Isn't the real story for us that it is now guaranteed that an overachiever will go up while arguably 2 bigger teams stay down, other big sides come down from the Prem.

Draw your own conclusion on the League 1 sides but next season is definitely going to be a tougher Championship than some of the ones we have so far struggled in.

Very true, and arguably one of the most important ways to look at this.

Our league retains 2 clubs who have superior resources to us, and loses 1 who didn't (and will now receive Prem money).

23 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Fair play to them though, shows it can be done! Sunderland would have been the same kind of story.

As frustrating as it is fir us to see the likes of them doing it imagine how the likes of WBA, Norwich and Watford feel

Erm those three clubs have had plenty of Championship success 

We are no smaller certainly than Watford and its never us

• Like 1