IGNORED

Playoffs

Super

Luton are very good at the basics, which many other Championship teams are not. They are brilliant from set plays and when they lose the ball they immediately press to get the ball back. Sadly they also have good defenders in Lockyer and Osho. Yes I also cannot stand Lockyer either.

Hopefully they don't win the playoff final as I don't think I can stomach seeing yet another club of a similar level to ourselves reach the Premier League before we do.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Seems like a lot of people aren’t big fans of Lockyer. I can only assume it’s because of who he has played for in the past….

Personally I think he has everything we need in terms of attitude and application. Not the biggest but doesn’t get bullied and does the dirty side of things well. We complain all the time that we are too nice of a team. Need more about us when it comes to the not so nice to be watch side of the game if we are to challenge at any point.

For Lockyer in particular, the be on the verge of the premier league now having spent most his career in the lower leagues is quite an achievement for him personally.

Exactly the kind of defender we have been desperate for.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Partly that, but he’s a cheat too…a guy a feigns head injuries, does sly stuff off the ball, goes over the top of the ball, then plays the victim.  I think there’s a difference between streetwise and cheating, I think Lockyer is on the cheating side of the fence.

The only cheating i saw last night was from Diallo in fairness. Lockyer won't be everyone's cup of tea but he's a leader and would would into most teams in this league.

When City lost at Luton it was an ugly game in ugly weather. I assumed at the time that Luton just played the conditions.

Many will disagree with me I know but the style of my team is very important to me over a season, probably more so than promotion. I would accept that the final of anything is about the result, but over a season I want to see attractive football.

It will be interesting to see how they get on at Wembley which traditionally was always a big pitch. Is that still the case? If they get a hot day the high press might be tough to keep up over the full 90+.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Super said:

The only cheating i saw last night was from Diallo in fairness. Lockyer won't be everyone's cup of tea but he's a leader and would would into most teams in this league.

Maybe not last night, but Sunderland barely laid a finger on Luton.  But he is Luton’s Ben Pearson.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

When City lost at Luton it was an ugly game in ugly weather. I assumed at the time that Luton just played the conditions.

Many will disagree with me I know but the style of my team is very important to me over a season, probably more so than promotion. I would accept that the final of anything is about the result, but over a season I want to see attractive football.

It will be interesting to see how they get on at Wembley which traditionally was always a big pitch. Is that still the case? If they get a hot day the high press might be tough to keep up over the full 90+.

I'm the same as you on this. I wouldn't want to be seen as the team playing football Stoke did in 2008 or how I view Luton play right now. I know Football IS ultimately a results business, but how I watch my team play and enjoyment in watching City is far more important than just grinding results out every week. I must admit i've enjoyed the last 2 seasons much more than I did the last 3 seasons of Lee Johnson's reign simply because of how we set up to play.

There is no right and wrong to how we view the game, some are win at all costs and some go to the football not just for a result but to be entertained and I've watched Luton play on about 10 occasions this season and I've never once found them enjoyable to watch. 

• Like 1

On 13/05/2023 at 15:43, petehinton said:

He’s always been very very bad with the media. But that is truly awful and something that’ll really rattle their fans. 

It sounds stupid, but it’s those little things that rattle fan bases, ala SO’D with the ‘stupid question’ interview. 

they’ve just had one of the biggest capitulations in the league, and fell flat on their face 4-0 by a side who were seeing these play offs as a free hit basically, and he’s there drinking tea (or coffee) looking not really arsed saying “we go again”. Blimey. 

I think he's actually thinking  THEY go again !

27 minutes ago, Super said:

Diallo dives loads, and rolls about - no doubt about that, but to deny that Luton don't cheat themselves is bizarre. They constantly hold, block, pull shirts.

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I've watched Luton play on about 10 occasions this season and I've never once found them enjoyable to watch. 

Shithouse of a team basically.

There a rumours that Sunderland might replace Mowbray - madness if true

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Diallo dives loads, and rolls about - no doubt about that, but to deny that Luton don't cheat themselves is bizarre. They constantly hold, block, pull shirts.

Shithouse of a team basically.

There a rumours that Sunderland might replace Mowbray - madness if true

You don't watch much football then.

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

What do you enjoy seeing when you watch them play? I've seen them in quite a few games this season and they're like a Warnock side, to me.

I actually quite like the times they get it forward quickly instead of loads of passes around the defence then back to the keeper etc. Get it to the wide players and get crosses in. I was brought up watching a lot of that. 

I appreciate they are marmite though!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Super said:

I actually quite like the times they get it forward quickly instead of loads of passes around the defence then back to the keeper etc. Get it to the wide players and get crosses in. I was brought up watching a lot of that. 

I appreciate they are marmite though!

They may get it forward quite a lot, but on very few occasions have they scored over 2 goals so they must not have a lot of quality in the final 3rd to make clear chances to score, they certainly do put pressure on sides that's for sure but they're 'effective' rather than beating teams based on the quality that the side possess. However, they are the best side in the League BY A MILE at set pieces and most goals I ever see Luton score usually come from a corner, like last night.

Their 0-0 draw at Millwall in April was among one of the worst games of Football I've seen in a long time at this level. They don't impress me, they play very much a modern version of kick and rush imo.

• Like 1

• Admin
12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

They commit about 3 fouls at every set piece, Lockyer in particular is always pulling opposition players to the ground off the ball, they illegally block the keeper off.

They win but boy is it ugly, not averse to a dive either, Morris won a penalty with a shocking one against Boro & the other lad up front dived twice tonight.

If they did go up good luck with trying that stuff against Liverpool or Man City with VAR.

Err you do realise that literally every team does this?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, 2015 said:

They may get it forward quite a lot, but on very few occasions have they scored over 2 goals so they must not have a lot of quality in the final 3rd to make clear chances to score, they certainly do put pressure on sides that's for sure but they're 'effective' rather than beating teams based on the quality that the side possess. However, they are the best side in the League BY A MILE at set pieces and most goals I ever see Luton score usually come from a corner, like last night.

Their 0-0 draw at Millwall in April was among one of the worst games of Football I've seen in a long time at this level. They don't impress me, they play very much a modern version of kick and rush imo.

Agree with that. I think what I was trying to say was it would be boring if every team played the same way. You need different styles and whilst Luton's may not be everyone's cup of tea it has certainly worked for them.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Exactly this

Talking of defenders we have been desperate for...if L. McNally plays for Cov tonight, you will see a player who I would to see us get our hands on; a real touch of class about his play. Incidentally, if Gus Hamer doesn't make the cut for Cov (?injury) then I think that makes 'Boro favourites (lump ya money on if such an omission occurs), despite the presence of Cov's other talisman, Vik G. Crazy to think that our former man Liam Kelly is a couple of games away from the Prem, although I suspect Cov will release him, in any event; potentially never truly got over the nasty injury he suffered with us, but certainly someone playing at a level maxing out their potential (so fair play on that account, when 90% of life is turning up, as they say). If it all goes tits up for Cov, then the other two worth a look are Calum O'Hare (no way we could afford him) and another old boy of ours...Mark Robins (just signed to 2027 with the Sky Blues, his assistant Viveash also great value).

Edited by GlastonburyRed

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Saw this….

IMG_7399.jpeg

I remember saying at the time on here when Cardiff got promoted that while it isn't necessarily pretty, it is effective and can be very exciting to watch a team who play like that. Direct doesn't necessarily mean poor to watch although lots of people seem to basically treat them as synonyms.

I don't really want city to play that way but a couple of notches up towards that top left corner certainly wouldn't have hurt at times over the last few years... I think our current balance is any right