IGNORED

Nigel Pearson on Sounds of the City

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

What does me in the most is the bbc news clique, more often the content on radio 4 is far superior yet somehow were lumbered with the same thick TV presenter's putting a spin on it rather than any kind of analysis.  Radio content seems so much deeper across the board.

Deliberately so. Market research has shown R4  has a majority graduate, politically engaged audience.  The 1 and 6 and especially Breakfast News straddles the "news as light entertainment" boundary.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

Have a feeling he might stay one more year.

£25m asking price could price him out of deal. 

Ward Prouse at Southampton will move for 25m ish so on paper that looks a better deal.

Hope he goes and we get a loan back. Circa 20m would still be a pretty decent deal. Brighton could have the money if they sell  2 players. 

I’d expect us to be getting £25m as an absolute minimum, being one of the most sought after young players around with a host of clubs interested.

Can’t see a loan back happening, the cost of retaining him on loan will put a dent in any transfer fee received. Had we have finished 7th/8th, we could have considered ourselves to be on the verge of playoffs and it would be a good time to really go for it by exploring the loan back but after a 14th place finish and falling 10 points short, it would be quite irrational to accept a dented transfer fee   (Likely to be several million) for an extra season with AS.

Whilst we are capable of reaching play offs next season, we’re not close enough to throw millions at it.

18 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

I’d expect us to be getting £25m as an absolute minimum, being one of the most sought after young players around with a host of clubs interested.

Can’t see a loan back happening, the cost of retaining him on loan will put a dent in any transfer fee received. Had we have finished 7th/8th, we could have considered ourselves to be on the verge of playoffs and it would be a good time to really go for it by exploring the loan back but after a 14th place finish and falling 10 points short, it would be quite irrational to accept a dented transfer fee   (Likely to be several million) for an extra season with AS.

Whilst we are capable of reaching play offs next season, we’re not close enough to throw millions at it.

I think that the only clubs that would consider sending Alex out on loan would be one of the elite clubs in the country. 

If an elite club were to buy him and loan him out then he'd be sent out on loan to a club that plays in the premier league.

If its not an elite club that buys him, that club are simply not sending him out on loan because the kid is good enough to play premier league football now.

Those that speak about us loaning him back are fantasising. 

• Like 3

Just listened to last nights episode, only one episode left with Geoff.

You never know what you've got till its (nearly) gone.

He really had a go at Ashton, wouldn't take his bullshite at face value.

Seems he had a rapport with NP though..

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Basic common sense. 

He is leaving this summer and he is not coming back. People need to accept that.

Its not really common sense.

There's different reasons for buying. Most, will be buying to play immediately. But there will be clubs interested who will see the benefit of another full season of playing in the championship.

You have no idea, where he's going or what there plans are.

Think everyone knows he's going, with a small chance of a loan back.

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

There's different reasons for buying. Most, will be buying to play immediately. But there will be clubs interested who will see the benefit of another full season of playing in the championship.

There isn't even a small chance, there is no chance.

For one we wouldn't be able to afford his wages! 

If a buying club were looking to loan him out (very doubtful) then at the very very least he'd be sent on loan to a top Championship club but more than likely another Premier league club.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Certainly a small chance of a loan back if he signs for a top top club where he won't get much game time. Brighton would be such a good move for him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If a buying club were looking to loan him out (very doubtful) then at the very very least he'd be sent on loan to a top Championship club but more than likely another Premier league club.

Wages wouldnt be a problem - we could negiotiate low or zero wage contribution. Its all up for negiotiation!!

At the end of the day if the clubs willing to do a loan back, will be doing it, to give him another season, not to take a big wage contribution from us.

I think you are confused.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We could tbh if we get a £25m profit on disposal it would fit into FFP. Technically we could.

Whether it would fit our wage structure well that's a whole different issue. Would we risk breaking our wage structure in this scenario?

On the loan back question, what also needs to be considered is the players view.

If he gets his move and is told up front that in his first season his game time could be limited he may except that as he wants to settle into his new surroundings both professionally and personally.

I find it hard to believe that a club would pay out the sort of number being spoken about and then loan him back to us without there being a financial impact e.g. size of fee, wage contribution etc.

In my view, if the deal is right for the club and the player, it is best to thank him for his contribution, wish him the absolute best of luck and let all parties move on.

A loan back is a risk for all involved and for us is purely delaying the inevitable.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We could tbh if we get a £25m profit on disposal it would fit into FFP. Technically we could.

Whether it would fit our wage structure well that's a whole different issue. Would we risk breaking our wage structure in this scenario?

The point on wages is very valid. Regardless of whether we contribute or not you would have a player in the changing room being paid multiples of the rest of the squad.

I thought that was a scenario that Nige was not comfortable with.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And SL didn’t get him…wow, the chuckle brothers went for Holden.

I have been a long term admirer of Robins and when we had a vacancy at City I was , for the most part, ridiculed citing the bloke as a lower league manager etc. 
He has an impressive body of work and would have been an ideal candidate to take us on. 
Incidentally, those people who criticise SL’s lack of nous In managerial appointments must now realise that he doesn’t always get it wrong. 
I am a big fan of Nigel Pearson and hope he gets the success he deserves here. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think I agree.

He'd likely make the squad of 1/2 - 2/3's of the teams in the prem, if he went anywhere higher he would then get loaned out to 1/2 - 2/3's of the teams in the prem rather than a mid table championship side.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Just listened to last nights episode, only one episode left with Geoff.

You never know what you've got till its (nearly) gone.

He really had a go at Ashton, wouldn't take his bullshite at face value.

Seems he had a rapport with NP though..

Bearing in mind that Geoff probably has his ear closer to the ground than any of us it speaks volumes. He is bound to have some inside knowledge of the goings on at both Bristol clubs that he can’t broadcast…….but he can ask awkward questions!!

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I have been a long term admirer of Robins and when we had a vacancy at City I was , for the most part, ridiculed citing the bloke as a lower league manager etc. 
He has an impressive body of work and would have been an ideal candidate to take us on. 
Incidentally, those people who criticise SL’s lack of nous In managerial appointments must now realise that he doesn’t always get it wrong. 
I am a big fan of Nigel Pearson and hope he gets the success he deserves here. 

To be fair 99% of us could have appointed Pearson on his track record knowing he would be more likely to steer us through choppy waters than most candidates out there at the time. It was hardly a stroke of genius but yes, credit where it’s due, he got it right. If Mark Ashton wasn’t ******* off I wonder if we would have appointed a guy who would almost inevitably have called him out?

To all but a small minority of Twitter users who expect huge investment, champagne football and to win the league despite having a bloated, overpaid, demotivated squad lacking in any sort of quality and being on the verge of points deductions it was obvious. Steve’s problem is when he starts overthinking it and going left field.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So who’s to say as part of any deal that he is loaned back to us at a discounted rate? 

He is our player still and under contract for a further 2 years 

We are not in a situation where we have to sell and this has been said by the club, if clubs are lining up to buy him then we hold the cards still and can dictate the terms 

51 minutes ago, INCRED said:

So who’s to say as part of any deal that he is loaned back to us at a discounted rate? 

He is our player still and under contract for a further 2 years 

We are not in a situation where we have to sell and this has been said by the club, if clubs are lining up to buy him then we hold the cards still and can dictate the terms 

Well not all the cards, if Scott becomes aware of a bid then he may indicate that he wishes to take the move, you can't really hold a player who has decided he wants to go to the PL.. The big clubs tend to get their own way and I don't see them being dictated to.

Personally I don't think a club will pay £25-30M for a player and loan them back to the Championship. .......................For instance if you married a divorced lady would you be happy if her ex-husband carried on shagging her for another year ? ?

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Well not all the cards, if Scott becomes aware of a bid then he may indicate that he wishes to take the move, you can't really hold a player who has decided he wants to go to the PL.. The big clubs tend to get their own way and I don't see them being dictated to.

Personally I don't think a club will pay £25-30M for a player and loan them back to the Championship. .......................For instance if you married a divorced lady would you be happy if her ex-husband carried on shagging her for another year ? ?

Your initial point is spot on, in debates like this we fans always seem to forget that the player has an enormous say on what happens. 

If, for example, we get a couple of bids this summer that meet our valuation the player may turn them both down for any number of reasons. If, for example, one includes a loan back, again the player may not want to do that, so that offer may have to be re- negotiated or reviewed.

As I have said previously I simply do not see any club, despite the vast riches in the EPL, spending the sort of money that we are allegedly asking for then loaning him back to a mid-level Championship club - it is not going to happen. 

6 hours ago, Nugget said:

Have heard that the loan back for a lower transfer fee is the clubs preferred choice too, it’s just so rare these days & Alex is ready but maybe another season with Tommy and co could sway him if we reinforce early and well

Where have you heard that from then? Who in the club is suggesting this scenario? What does Alex think about this option? 

Some real fantasy football manager on this thread right now. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

It’s unlikely he will be here next season  but not out of the question for a number of reasons  

As someone said it’s up to the player. If he says no I have a contract here the club can’t sell him. That’s that. it’s happened to us before, along with any number of other scenarios up to and including being another clubs player!

Thus unless you’re Alex Scott’s dad you really don’t have a clue. Which is a common thread here!

If he's loaned back then great, but I do think people shouldn't be hanging their hopes on it because it doesn't really make a lot of sense from a buying club's point of view. And if it does happen then I don't think it would be a case of just continuing as we have been with him for the last 2 seasons, the dynamic would change and people need to be prepared for that.

And I absolutely 100% guarantee it would take no more than a couple of bad games from him for the complaints to start that he isn't committed, doesn't really want to be here etc. I mean there were people doing it after he had a poor hour against Burnley the other week.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

For a millionth time, we have absolutely zero chance of loaning Alex back. 

Never say never, but it's extremely unlikely.

For one thing, I think Scott is a really good player who can hold his own in the second tier and be outstanding on occasions. But PL clubs will hope they can improve him and; by the example of his team-mates, with extensive coaching and by testing himself against better opposition, make him something beyond "outstanding on occasions" - make him exceptional, world-class.

Young players are sometimes loaned back when they need more experience. Alex has played first-team football in the second tier since he was 17 and has made more than 80 appearances at this level.  It isn't game time he needs to push him on, it's higher-level experience. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If he's loaned back then great, but I do think people shouldn't be hanging their hopes on it because it doesn't really make a lot of sense from a buying club's point of view. And if it does happen then I don't think it would be a case of just continuing as we have been with him for the last 2 seasons, the dynamic would change and people need to be prepared for that.

And I absolutely 100% guarantee it would take no more than a couple of bad games from him for the complaints to start that he isn't committed, doesn't really want to be here etc. I mean there were people doing it after he had a poor hour against Burnley the other week.

I'm not sure what the natural benefit would be to us as a club as well.

NP made a big play on SOTC about using continuity in transfer dealings/squad evolution. Having Scott with us for another season would mean that one of the new signings (or an academy player) would only have to wait another season to gain valuable first team minutes.

I think this also relates to his views on loanees, you can't really plan for the future development of the squad, when you are spending a season developing other people's players.

I also think why would a PL club want Scott to play any more Championship games to "develop"? They would want him playing at a higher level, or a top level european club. Nothing to be gained for them playing him at a level/division in which he has already played two seasons.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Percy Pig said:

Regardless of how likely it is, having Alex Scott play for Bristol City will always be of benefit to us. He is one of the best young players in the country.

I get that in the short term.

But I remember how it turned out with Jack Clarke when he went back to Leeds from Tottenham. It depends on how we are planning for next season.

One of the points that NP makes clear is the need for more goals from midfield. It's fair to say this is an area of Scott's game that he needs to improve on. If by playing Scott you aren't playing one of those players that you specifically bought in to do that job then tough decisions would have to be made.

I love Scott, and it's been a pleasure to see his development over the last two seasons. But in all honesty, the last 2/3 months of the season weren't his best and of course he had probably his worse game for the club versus Burnley in the last home game. Whether all the press, media nonsense has got to him, I can't say; but his stock will never be higher than what it is now.

Like when Semenyo left, others have had to step up to the plate. Having Conway back was like a new signing, but collectively as a team we still only scored 4 goals in our last 8 away games. Winning 4 of our last 13 games after the Man City cup game. A lot of those games Scott played in, don't forget. Yes it was a collective issue across the team, but Scott was part of that issue unfortunately,

1 minute ago, Percy Pig said:

To be fair, a lot of that has come from playing Scott in the 10, he had significantly more impact from deeper positions. 

Also, he's created 89 shot opportunities if you look at the Vyner Wells thread posted by Spud. 

Perfectly conceivable that with a 20% conversion rate he could have close to 20 assists this season! 

It's all academic, but Scott is the best player we've had in my lifetime. Retaining him alongside some other significant additions in defence and midfield would leave us in a very strong position to challenge at the top end of the league.

But it won't happen and we will have to move on without him (I actually think that's one of the reasons why Nige moved him to the 10 position. To see how our team could adapt without the most "press resistant" central midfielder in the league.

All good points @Percy Pig.

It's certainly been good to have a player that everyone talks about.

I do wonder whether Conway will be similar in a year or two? Going to be an interesting contract discussion around him soon. Like Scott 2 years left on his deal, and probably not on the greatest amount of wages.

Yes, I know he's local; and loves the club etc. But like Pring, we need to lock these players down for a few more years after 2025.

• Like 2