IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

5 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Joe Bryan and Cam Pring rotating in and out at LB would be awesome. (I hope).

Need quality depth in this league. So many games and so fixture-dense. At first I thought JB might be a bit unnecessary as we have other areas to strengthen first, but this league is just brutal for fixtures and injuries.

On the plus side there won't be Oliver Norwood playing against us!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

We've been rickrolled. It's never really occurred to me before, but it's hard to believe a man that young - 21 at the time - could produce a voice... like that.

Such a shame that the rickrolling is spoilt by taking me straight to an advert for SkyTV

1 minute ago, B-Rizzle said:

Can anyone see a scenario whereby JB signs and Dasilva also stays, or, Currie also signs?

Or, as I suspect, would Bryan returning spell the end of our pursuit of Currie and also mean the contract offer to JD is removed from the table?

Yes to the bits in bold.  Not saying it will happen, but if Bryan is gonna play elsewhere then we’d need cover for Pring.

46 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Can anyone see a scenario whereby JB signs and Dasilva also stays, or, Currie also signs?

Yes, I still think this happens. 

Currie will be seen as a long-term project, similar to when Tanner was signed. 

We will sign smart this summer, but Nige will also want depth in key positions.

Currie could arrive as cover/3rd choice (initially), whilst have the benefit of not having to rush his development in the 1st year.

6 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Yes, I still think this happens. 

Currie will be seen as a long-term project, similar to when Tanner was signed. 

We will sign smart this summer, but Nige will also want depth in key positions.

Currie could arrive as cover/3rd choice (initially), whilst have the benefit of not having to rush his development in the 1st year.

Im not sure we would, or should be spending a million on a project left back from lthe lower leagues? 300k for tanner was a punt worth taking, but thats a lot of money, especially if bryan does sign,,, that could be used for centre backs instead!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Im not sure we would, or should be spending a million on a project left back from lthe lower leagues? 300k for tanner was a punt worth taking, but thats a lot of money, especially if bryan does sign,,, that could be used for centre backs instead!

Estimated £600k was the price in January.

For a 21 year old left back, let’s say likely to sign a contract of 4 years for £3-5k a week. 

Not much of a risk at all. 

This is the market we are shopping in. Long-term potential, higher future value.

FWIW I believe we will bring in a centre back (2 if Kalas leaves), but feel they will be free transfers.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I'm going to probably be in the minority in not thinking this is not the brilliant signing a lot seen to think it is.

Feel there's quite a few reminiscing and wearing their rose tinted glasses.

Yes, he has scored a few great goals and played some great games but that was a few years ago now. I just think defensively he's always been a bit suspect as was found out when he played in the prem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I'm going to probably be in the minority in not thinking this is not the brilliant signing a lot seen to think it is.

Feel there's quite a few reminiscing and wearing their rose tinted glasses.

Yes, he has scored a few great goals and played some great games but that was a few years ago now. I just think defensively he's always been a bit suspect as was found out when he played in the prem.

He would be played higher I expect, a Pring-Bryan left side could be really potent. Which could cover some of his potential defensive flaws too.

Which in turn maybe a bit less than a true attacking full career left sided player ad he did play some of his career at full back.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He would be played higher I expect, a Pring-Bryan left side could be really potent. Which would nullify some of his potential defensive flaws too.

I get your point but not sure he has the pace to play that position. Would be more workman like than providing much creativity

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Estimated £600k was the price in January.

For a 21 year old left back, let’s say likely to sign a contract of 4 years for £3-5k a week. 

Not much of a risk at all. 

Would you rather we signed Cam to a longer deal? I would and we can't do everything WTGR.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I get your point but not sure he has the pace to play that position. Would be more workman like than providing much creativity

Based on what some are saying they think he's going to play the left side of center midfield. I really like Joe but I don't think a 29-year-old midfielder who only made 6 appearances in France this season playing sounds like a great prospect if it isn't that nostalgia playing a part. I mean he may well be able to adapt and play in the middle, he certainly had a decent shot and pass on him but the stats worry me, 30 games over the last two seasons, 1 goal and 2 assists in that time. I know stats aren't everything but Joe was playing in the Premier League, Fulham drop down to the Championship and after one season and winning the league he's deemed not good enough and sent off to France, it doesn't speak volumes of confidence to me, especially when he's known for playing on the left side where we have Pring and in our current system it's highly unlikely that he's going to be put in front of Bell or Mehmeti on the left wing.

If it turns out that he's going to be playing in the middle and Pearson is confident that he can do that then it's a different thing, Premier League experience, 29 so matured in his game, maybe he could be what we're missing in the middle but I'm not convinced. I guess we'll see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

36 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

He can be workmanlike and creative…he has both parts in his locker.  There is no reason at 29 for him to have lost pace either.

20 minutes ago, Spike said:

Based on what some are saying they think he's going to play the left side of center midfield. I really like Joe but I don't think a 29-year-old midfielder who only made 6 appearances in France this season playing sounds like a great prospect if it isn't that nostalgia playing a part. I mean he may well be able to adapt and play in the middle, he certainly had a decent shot and pass on him but the stats worry me, 30 games over the last two seasons, 1 goal and 2 assists in that time. I know stats aren't everything but Joe was playing in the Premier League, Fulham drop down to the Championship and after one season and winning the league he's deemed not good enough and sent off to France, it doesn't speak volumes of confidence to me, especially when he's known for playing on the left side where we have Pring and in our current system it's highly unlikely that he's going to be put in front of Bell or Mehmeti on the left wing.

If it turns out that he's going to be playing in the middle and Pearson is confident that he can do that then it's a different thing, Premier League experience, 29 so matured in his game, maybe he could be what we're missing in the middle but I'm not convinced. I guess we'll see what happens.

Think you’re not taking into account that Fulham upgraded at LB when they came down, Antonee Robinson….not Bryan dropping off per se.  Robinson almost signed for Milan the season before, bar an injury.  Fulham themselves as a team have improved too, hence their league position / competitiveness unlike when they went up the previous time and came straight back down.

At 29 Joe ought to be perfectly capable of still being a v.good Championship footballer.

If it was any other PL 29 year old joining us on a free with experience of promotion (twice) and PL minutes we’d be excited.  It’s perfectly possible that his experiences at Fulham and Nice have made him a better player than the one who left?

I remember OTIB moaning at the signing of 33 year old Gary O’Neil, who many saw as a journeyman looking for a nice little earner in his final contract.  He was quality….shame about the injuries.

None of us know how it will play out, but on paper we should be excited.

• Like 14
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Nigel Pearson has said we need more goals from midfield ( and from all over) . Joe Bryan can get some . I see him playing left midfield with cover for Pring on occasions. Pring has developed into a powerhouse of a player but could add goals to his game. 

Bryan has scored 29 goals in his 371 professional appearances a career average of 1 in 12 across League 1, Championship, Prem League and now Ligue 1 (he's at 1 in every 958 minutes). Roughly 4 per season. However in only two seasons (our 14/15 promotion season and in 17/18) has his tally exceeded 3 goals.

16 of those 29 have come when played at LM, which transfermarkt reckon he's done in 117 games. Better, but still only 1 every 590 minutes. So assuming he played every minute of a Championship season at LM that predicts 7 goals. 7 would be nice I grant you, but is that playing condition going to be fulfilled? Mehmeti and Bell would be angry.

He's a good player, he's a great Bristolian, and I would/will welcome him home with open arms, but he's not a goalscorer and although he could chip in with 2 or 3, he's not the 5-10 goal midfielder we might be looking for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Bryan has scored 29 goals in his 371 professional appearances a career average of 1 in 12 across League 1, Championship, Prem League and now Ligue 1 (he's at 1 in every 958 minutes). Roughly 4 per season. However in only two seasons (our 14/15 promotion season and in 17/18) has his tally exceeded 3 goals.

16 of those 29 have come when played at LM, which transfermarkt reckon he's done in 117 games. Better, but still only 1 every 590 minutes. So assuming he played every minute of a Championship season at LM that predicts 7 goals. 7 would be nice I grant you, but is that playing condition going to be fulfilled? Mehmeti and Bell would be angry.

He's a good player, he's a great Bristolian, and I would/will welcome him home with open arms, but he's not a goalscorer and although he could chip in with 2 or 3, he's not the 5-10 goal midfielder we might be looking for.

If he does play all the games and gets his 7 predicted goals that puts him in your 5 -10 midfield goals kind of negates your point

46 minutes ago, Searles said:

Pring and Bryan on the left side could be a real partnership, the question I have is does Bryan still have that star quality.

He certainly had star quality in the playoff final in 2020 when he scored both Fulham’s goals to get them promoted. He was almost Bale like that day.

1 hour ago, Searles said:

Pring and Bryan on the left side could be a real partnership, the question I have is does Bryan still have that star quality.

My question would be “why would you not think he still has star quality”?

He’s 29, been playing at a higher level (both team and league) since he left us. Thereason he’s not playing at Fulham (especially, because I know little about the situation at Nice) is because Fulham are a far better team than the one he joined in 18/19.

He might be a total flop, who knows, but “on paper” it’s an excellent signing (proposed).

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Interesting little Facebook tease just posted…

IMG_0301.jpeg

Saw that too.

• Hmmm 1