IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

I’ve heard there’s a very strong possibility of him re-signing for us in the summer.

What are peoples opinion on this? Seems to have lost his way at Fulham and currently on loan at Nice (not getting much game time) Great player at this level and obviously knows the club. I’d welcome the signing as long as it doesn’t mean Pring’s sold or his development stifled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd not be unhappy but I would be surprised. I just don't reckon he'd fit into our wage structure or - given how well Pring is doing - that we'd justify breaking the wage structure to get him. Happy to hold my hands up if I'm wrong but I don't see this happening. 

Wages were my first thought when I heard about it. I’m not sure of his current contract situation at Fulham. I’m also not sure if he’d be signing permanently or on loan, I’ll try to find out.

Unless he is out of contract, then I'll wager it would take a massive settlement on behalf of Fulham to square up his remaining salary to compensate for the far lower salary he'd have to accept here.

If he is out of contract in the summer and reflects on what was 4 or 5 years of top-flight earnings, he might be open to a lower salary and game time, but didn't Albert say that SL doesn't like to re-sign players....

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Unless he is out of contract, then I'll wager it would take a massive settlement on behalf of Fulham to square up his remaining salary to compensate for the far lower salary he'd have to accept here.

If he is out of contract in the summer and reflects on what was 4 or 5 years of top-flight earnings, he might be open to a lower salary and game time, but didn't Albert say that SL doesn't like to re-sign players....

Like Louis Carey or Scotty? 
Joe Bryan has that bit of quality I think he’s been a bit unlucky at Fulham where they bought in loads of top, top players and Joe and Bobby got a bit pushed out . 
Unless Pring is off for big money I can’t see it although it’s more than likely that Dasilva won’t be here next season so … I am going round in circles a bit here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I’ve heard there’s a very strong possibility of him re-signing for us in the summer.

What are peoples opinion on this? Seems to have lost his way at Fulham and currently on loan at Nice (not getting much game time) Great player at this level and obviously knows the club. I’d welcome the signing as long as it doesn’t mean Pring’s sold or his development stifled.

Wage level and also, as you indicate, would it it not potentially stifle Pring who is developing into a very fine player indeed?

With the major caveat of finances…

I think people are barking up the wrong tree when they talk about it stifling Pring. Joe started as a left back but moved up the pitch and was often left midfield - see Man Utd when Magnússon played behind him. As Pring likes to bomb forward (and this is a potential issue with him and Mehmeti on that side as Anis doesn’t have the track back instinct), it makes sense balance wise to have someone who can drop in naturally. Also, Joe can play (and did play) multiple positions for us including CM and RB (I think) so it ticks a lot of boxes when dealing with smaller squads needing versatility. Character I think would be right for Nige as well. 

Elephant in the room clearly finances. However, it’s not fanciful if he’s OOC as he is going to be looking at clubs at our level for next move, and probably isn’t at the top of wish lists for the better off financially.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

He is OOC according to TM.  In other searches he signed an extension in 2020 to summer 2023, and I can’t see any other news re this.

As per @Silvio Dante, he can play in multiple positions too.  Although I also think Mehmeti had adapted very quickly to his defensive shape needs.  Seems an intelligent player.

Joe is not about the money either.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He is OOC according to TM.  In other searches he signed an extension in 2020 to summer 2023, and I can’t see any other news re this.

As per @Silvio Dante, he can play in multiple positions too.  Although I also think Mehmeti had adapted very quickly to his defensive shape needs.  Seems an intelligent player.

Joe is not about the money either.

Although I feel this rumour has come up over the last three or four windows, I do think there could be more to it this time. As you say, it's not about the money for Joe, he will have enjoyed the new experiences but could be ready to come back now. I think he is a Pearson type player too, intelligent and flexible, I still think there is a good central midfield player there, two footed, mobile and with a good passing range, so that adds to our options. Tinnion will know his temperament suits us too.

I think he would be excited by the prospect of being a mature influence on a group that contains a lot of young local talent.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

If he’s up for it this would be an excellent move.

He can play in a variety of positions (saw him have very decent games in centre mid), he’s a goal threat (as Man U might recall) & still in his 20s.

Could be nonsense but be delighted to see him back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Taz said:

Can't see it happening to be honest. 

Out of contract or not, finances would put him out of reach. Many other clubs would pay him more, not sure he misses the club that much..

Might be imagining this but hasn’t he taken a couple of digs at us since leaving?

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Like Louis Carey or Scotty? 
Joe Bryan has that bit of quality I think he’s been a bit unlucky at Fulham where they bought in loads of top, top players and Joe and Bobby got a bit pushed out . 
Unless Pring is off for big money I can’t see it although it’s more than likely that Dasilva won’t be here next season so … I am going round in circles a bit here. 

Reid starts nearly every match for Fulham, 9th in the prem...

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Pring has a lot of qualities, but just doesnt have the goal threat or  ability on the ball of bryan. Both players lining up on the left for us would be very strong though,, perhaps a salary similar to what dasilva has been earning might be enough to cover bryans cost of living after his fulham salary over the last few years?

37 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Money isn’t everything.

True, but the money he is on currently, against what we would be offering, would be well below what he's used to. He would also have probably at least 6 clubs ahead of us that would be willing/able to offer him significantly more than us.

Football wasn't his life, he just happens to be bloody good at it, and has made a fairly decent career for himself. 

I will be overjoyed if he signs for us again, he's a great player and can play in a number of positions. He is very much a Pearson type of player. I will just be extremely surprised if we ever see him pull on a City shirt again, that's all.

27 minutes ago, Taz said:

True, but the money he is on currently, against what we would be offering, would be well below what he's used to. He would also have probably at least 6 clubs ahead of us that would be willing/able to offer him significantly more than us.

Football wasn't his life, he just happens to be bloody good at it, and has made a fairly decent career for himself. 

I will be overjoyed if he signs for us again, he's a great player and can play in a number of positions. He is very much a Pearson type of player. I will just be extremely surprised if we ever see him pull on a City shirt again, that's all.

Could see him wanting to move back to Bristol, if he did realistically only Bournemouth and West Brom could be within a commutable distance for clubs who could easily beat our wage budget.

I'm not sure I buy into the whole "There'll be x number of clubs ahead of us" theory.  If that was the case wouldn't it have been likely that one of those clubs would've gone for him on loan this season?  Instead he ended up in France. 

He was unfortunate at Fulham that he got injured and Sessegnon came in and did well enough to keep his place.  +

What is appealing to his return, if it were to happen, is that we would be getting a much better player than the one he sold.  The exposure to different coaches, different environments and being taken out of his comfort zone will all have added to what he already had.  

Would definitely welcome it if we can make it happen.

18 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I'm not sure I buy into the whole "There'll be x number of clubs ahead of us" theory.  If that was the case wouldn't it have been likely that one of those clubs would've gone for him on loan this season?  Instead he ended up in France. 

He was unfortunate at Fulham that he got injured and Sessegnon came in and did well enough to keep his place.  +

What is appealing to his return, if it were to happen, is that we would be getting a much better player than the one he sold.  The exposure to different coaches, different environments and being taken out of his comfort zone will all have added to what he already had.  

Would definitely welcome it if we can make it happen.

Then by the same measure, if we really wanted to re-sign him, and he really wanted to play for us again, surely we would have tried to do a deal to bring him here in January, especially if his contract is up shortly.

Again, I hope we do sign him, as that side of the pitch we sorted, I just don't think it will happen. Happy to be proven wrong though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Taz said:

Then by the same measure, if we really wanted to re-sign him, and he really wanted to play for us again, surely we would have tried to do a deal to bring him here in January, especially if his contract is up shortly.

Again, I hope we do sign him, as that side of the pitch we sorted, I just don't think it will happen. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Were our finances not completely stretched in January until the Semenyo deal was completed and those approaching the end of their contracts had the opportunity to try and win a new one.

The idea of Bryan resigning isn't something I'm against, but assuming that we lose Scott, a few of the higher earners move on at the end of their contracts and we maybe sell another, would the club continue down a more frugal route or look to bring in experience that might involve a transfer fee, or higher wages than some of the younger squad members get today.