IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

Then by the same measure, if we really wanted to re-sign him, and he really wanted to play for us again, surely we would have tried to do a deal to bring him here in January, especially if his contract is up shortly.

Again, I hope we do sign him, as that side of the pitch we sorted, I just don't think it will happen. Happy to be proven wrong though.

He couldn’t play for us this season, as he’s already featured for Fulham in the league cup as well as Nice.

I’m not convinced there will be such a big queue to sign him, he’s barely played in France, not getting on the pitch since November & I’d say we were a very realistic proposition for him, he’s definitely not getting another Prem club & so provided he is willing to be reasonable with his wage demands, if we are interested I could see this happening.

However no way will we simply be offering him what Dasilva is on, the plan is to cut the wage bill, not perpetuate it just with different players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Taz said:

Then by the same measure, if we really wanted to re-sign him, and he really wanted to play for us again, surely we would have tried to do a deal to bring him here in January, especially if his contract is up shortly.

Again, I hope we do sign him, as that side of the pitch we sorted, I just don't think it will happen. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Who Knows if we didn’t approach Fulham before. However if I’m in Nice and getting a game occasionally why would go back to Brizz I can do that anytime. Besides there would have been a fee in January no matter what. And I’m unclear what rules apply internationally for the amount of teams you can play for in a single season

Going back is rarely a good thing, but does sometimes work, vis a vis Chris Garland. Another Bristol Boy. If Pearson wants him and he wants to come, then this may have legs!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Hmmm 1

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He couldn’t play for us this season, as he’s already featured for Fulham in the league cup as well as Nice.

I’m not convinced there will be such a big queue to sign him, he’s barely played in France, not getting on the pitch since November & I’d say we were a very realistic proposition for him, he’s definitely not getting another Prem club & so provided he is willing to be reasonable with his wage demands, if we are interested I could see this happening.

However no way will we simply be offering him what Dasilva is on, the plan is to cut the wage bill, not perpetuate it just with different players.

I think we would be willing to offer him what Dasilva is on personally.

The wage cutting will also occur elsewhere with Kalas leaving and it's already started with Bentley going in January and Palmer in the summer. Think they would have been our 4 biggest earners? It's been made clear the budget is there for players that our deemed worth it and versatility would be massive, I've always liked him in Centre Mid and could actually see him and James working really well as a two in there.

That being said, I don't think this will happen... Whilst the budget is there for 'special players' I think we would be more savvy and target areas where it is needed more (CB/CM). Certainly wouldn't be against it but feels like a luxury and not a signing we need

15 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

The wage cutting will also occur elsewhere with Kalas leaving and it's already started with Bentley going in January and Palmer in the summer. Think they would have been our 4 biggest earners? It's been made clear the budget is there for players that our deemed worth it and versatility would be massive, I've always liked him in Centre Mid and could actually see him and James working really well as a two in there.

That being said, I don't think this will happen... Whilst the budget is there for 'special players' I think we would be more savvy and target areas where it is needed more (CB/CM). Certainly wouldn't be against it but feels like a luxury and not a signing we need

I believe Wells was supposed to be our biggest earner but he's taken a cut. Kalas must likely be the highest remaining you'd expect.

14 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Yep, without knowing what Dasilva is on, or Bryan might want (if he is interested), for a free transfer we will pay competitively.

What I do know (opinion actually ?) is that Bryan would improve own squad and also our eleven.  Get him on the left wing (midfield) ahead of Pring, and Mehmeti central, and I’d quite enjoy watching that.

Just one thing, he’s 30 in Sept, and probably at the top of the age range we will look at.  If he does come I hope it’s the only one we add of this age.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, without knowing what Dasilva is on, or Bryan might want (if he is interested), for a free transfer we will pay competitively.

What I do know (opinion actually ?) is that Bryan would improve own squad and also our eleven.  Get him on the left wing (midfield) ahead of Pring, and Mehmeti central, and I’d quite enjoy watching that.

Just one thing, he’s 30 in Sept, and probably at the top of the age range we will look at.  If he does come I hope it’s the only one we add of this age.

It kind of fits in to what NP was saying about it’s all good bringing through the kids which is great, but you also need a few solid experienced pros who are established at the level. He would certainly tick that box. 

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Who Knows if we didn’t approach Fulham before. However if I’m in Nice and getting a game occasionally why would go back to Brizz I can do that anytime. Besides there would have been a fee in January no matter what. And I’m unclear what rules apply internationally for the amount of teams you can play for in a single season

Going back is rarely a good thing, but does sometimes work, vis a vis Chris Garland. Another Bristol Boy. If Pearson wants him and he wants to come, then this may have legs!

To be fair, for some reason I was thinking he went there in January, not back in the summer, so my bad.

:wacko:?

Just now, Riaz said:

He's a quality player. So yeah it would be great.

But after he left, he spoke about getting loads of stick from city fans - which i was baffled about!

Just would surprise me if he was to come back

There was quite a lot of flak at the end of the season he left, accusations that he was “on the beach”, that some players didn’t want to up.  Some of it was conspiracy theory stuff like “they’ve already booked their flights to Vegas” or “he’s already in Barbados”.  The Barbados one was funny, because I bumped into him that afternoon at Cribbs.

I think he suffers from having a slightly weird sense of humour too, that’s gets misinterpreted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This. Think Kal Naismith - we’ve confirmed we’re in the market for experienced OOC players on the right deal, and I’m sure I read about us being a top ten payer for that kind of player. Bryan is comfortably within that arc if we want to pay it for him 

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was quite a lot of flak at the end of the season he left, accusations that he was “on the beach”, that some players didn’t want to up.  Some of it was conspiracy theory stuff like “they’ve already booked their flights to Vegas” or “he’s already in Barbados”.  The Barbados one was funny, because I bumped into him that afternoon at Cribbs.

I think he suffers from having a slightly weird sense of humour too, that’s gets misinterpreted.

I never noticed any stick down the gate.

Joe is a very different kind of character to most footballers. His dad is a surgeon (operated on GJ) and had to be very much persuaded that Joe’s immediate future was in football. He has talked about potentially training as a doctor when his career is over. I can see him setting back in the area and starting his second career here.
I think this may have some mileage.  Would love to have him back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

Joe is a very different kind of character to most footballers. His dad is a surgeon (operated on GJ) and had to be very much persuaded that Joe’s immediate future was in football. He has talked about potentially training as a doctor when his career is over. I can see him setting back in the area and starting his second career here.
I think this may have some mileage.  Would love to have him back. 

Studying to become a Doctor is a career in itself, at least a decade! Still we need as many as we can get!

Didn't he do a piece about players mental health and highlighted his own issues? (I could be completely wrong there), but it could be he pines for home and providing we're prepared to pay him competitively he would be open to a return. He's probably made a bundle since leaving and the fact he did, played premier league football and saw a bit of life elsewhere it could be that he's a homely kind of bloke and is happy to come back. I always got the impression with Joe that football wasn't his highest priority but whilst he was good at it he would give it his best attention.
It's not always about the money, he certainly never struck me as the greedy type. He knew he was good enough for the prem (at the time) and wanted to take advantage of what you'd have to say was a once in a lifetime opportunity. You can't begrudge anyone for that. Even SL has always said we won't stand in anyone's way if a prem club comes in. So yes, I could see it happening as long as we're not looking to get him on the cheap and the deal suits all parties and agendas.

Edited by Philly The Kid
Also, thinking out loud and completely left field (see what I did there) If medicine was his chosen afterlife, IF he was to train as, say a physioterrorist, it's not beyond the realms of fantasy that the club might sponsor him.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

This. Think Kal Naismith - we’ve confirmed we’re in the market for experienced OOC players on the right deal, and I’m sure I read about us being a top ten payer for that kind of player. Bryan is comfortably within that arc if we want to pay it for him 

I’ve always thought this comment (made most recently by Richard Gould) was a bit misleading, but I could be wrong.

I understood it to mean we currently had a top ten budget, but seeing as we started the season with Kalas, Wells, Dasilva, Bentley all still on the wage bill, plus had Weimann, James, Naismith, Baker, Martin on it too, that wasn’t too surprising.

Pearson has been really open about us needing to get our wage bill down & so I expect more signings like Sykes & Mehmeti from L1, plus contract renewal renegotiations (so cuts) like we did with Weimann & Wells.

I was expecting our wage bill to continue to fall or at least even with inflation still not to rise, making new signings on less than those they replace.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve always thought this comment (made most recently by Richard Gould) was a bit misleading, but I could be wrong.

I understood it to mean we currently had a top ten budget, but seeing as we started the season with Kalas, Wells, Dasilva, Bentley all still on the wage bill, plus had Weimann, James, Naismith, Baker, Martin on it too, that wasn’t too surprising.

Pearson has been really open about us needing to get our wage bill down & so I expect more signings like Sykes & Mehmeti from L1, plus contract renewal renegotiations (so cuts) like we did with Weimann & Wells.

I was expecting our wage bill to continue to fall or at least even with inflation still not to rise, making new signings on less than those they replace.

I think you are right as a matter of policy, however I suspect there maybe some wiggle room for the right player As long as it’s justifiable in terms of pay, signing on fees and what we need 

The issue will be to continue to build WHILE being simultaneously competitive at the right end. 

A fit and ready (with his head right) Joe Bryan may fit that bill mainly due to his versatility as a player. 

Guess we will see! 

1 hour ago, Philly The Kid said:

Didn't he do a piece about players mental health and highlighted his own issues? (I could be completely wrong there), but it could be he pines for home and providing we're prepared to pay him competitively he would be open to a return. He's probably made a bundle since leaving and the fact he did, played premier league football and saw a bit of life elsewhere it could be that he's a homely kind of bloke and is happy to come back. I always got the impression with Joe that football wasn't his highest priority but whilst he was good at it he would give it his best attention.
It's not always about the money, he certainly never struck me as the greedy type. He knew he was good enough for the prem (at the time) and wanted to take advantage of what you'd have to say was a once in a lifetime opportunity. You can't begrudge anyone for that. Even SL has always said we won't stand in anyone's way if a prem club comes in. So yes, I could see it happening as long as we're not looking to get him on the cheap and the deal suits all parties and agendas.

I've heard we want some "harder" players but physioterrorist? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philly The Kid said:

Also, thinking out loud and completely left field (see what I did there) If medicine was his chosen afterlife, IF he was to train as, say a physioterrorist, it's not beyond the realms of fantasy that the club might sponsor him.

Yep, that's pretty left field.

The Club might (or might not ) sponsor him, but he would likely be charged and prosecuted before he was able to make his second debut. 

I'm not a great fan of players going back. I know it worked out OK with Carey and Scotty but they were barely gone a year so their retransition was seamless. I know he was a decent player at this level but that was then, is he now? I'd expect our current regime to do it's homework before contemplating a move but as things stand I'm seriously concerned about his lack of gametime. He can't be thought of that highly at Nice as much of the time he's not even making the bench. Looks like the downward path to me not the hungry upcoming players which is now our signing raison d'etre. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm not a great fan of players going back. I know it worked out OK with Carey and Scotty but they were barely gone a year so their retransition was seamless. I know he was a decent player at this level but that was then, is he now? I'd expect our current regime to do it's homework before contemplating a move but as things stand I'm seriously concerned about his lack of gametime. He can't be thought of that highly at Nice as much of the time he's not even making the bench. Looks like the downward path to me not the hungry upcoming players which is now our signing raison d'etre. 

"Raison D'Etra ?  Triffic little player, sweet left foot and loves a tackle.......will we sign him?....up to the Chairman but there's a deal to be done"

Image result for harry redknapp hanging out car window

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Midred said:

I've heard we want some "harder" players but physioterrorist? ?

Ha yes! an old Army saying!
Given the pain and suffering physio's used to put you through in the course of your recovery they were lovingly called Physioterrorists!
Don't worry, it was a term of endearment!!!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Strictly on the QT, I heard yesterday, from a good source, that both Reid and Bryan wanted to leave City to further their careers. Probably nothing in it.

I think you are right keeping it quiet because I think the person you heard that from must have a source, and I would imagine that source is not happy with him giving away such secrets. ?

• Haha 1