IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ultimately it’s still a rumour!

Not a shred of any ‘evidence’ anywhere, not even the notoriously unreliable social media.

I’ll believe JB has rejoined us when it’s announced on the OS.

That's nice for you.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not a shred of any ‘evidence’ anywhere, not even the notoriously unreliable social media.

Fantastic input, thanks for clearing that up...?

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Whilst I agree that he isn’t the strongest defender, I would argue that his Heading ability is actually very good.

Bryan is able to jump very high from a standing start position. This was utilised very well during our promotion campaign under Cotts.

Yep, always compared him to a leaping salmon!

20 minutes ago, Henry said:

Joe Bryan physically weak and poor at heading? I’ve heard it all now!

My recollection is most definitely not that either.

I remember he was capable of making crunching tackles if needed, though admittedly it was not something he did frequently. In his previous spell with us I recall he often had the better of much taller players in the air. His jumping ability was so good that it often put him in danger as he went "over the top" of taller opponents, with a few incidents of him landing awkwardly on head/neck. However If he went down injured you knew he was actually hurt, and he shook off a few "reducers" from opposing full backs when attacking.

His main weakness I felt was that he would often be out of position (or switch off?) and this would cause us problems with opponents "getting in behind" or getting on the end of crosses when he should have been defending the back post. You can obviously argue if that was down to the individual or coaching, systems. tactics. He also had a tendency to try and win the ball high up the field, and if the winger/forward evaded the tackle it could result on opponents bearing down on goal.

While he is not most definitely not on teh same level this is pretty much the same criticism you will see of Trent Alexander-Arnold. 

As others said going forward he was often very good, his crossing was decent and if he came inside and attacked the box he was capable of scoring wonder goals like we saw against Rovers, Swindon,  Palace and Man Utd. I seem to recall him scoring a free kick or two (including one that got Fulham promoted) .

Him and Pring in tandem on the left would be exceptionally strong IMO. Both good athletes, capable of carrying the ball at pace and with an obvious threat - both capable of defending. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That’s an unusual stance you’ve taken, you ought to have mentioned it before….

• Haha 4
  • Flames 1

I still don't get the stick that is given to @Robbored, I genuinely don't.

A left hand side of Cam and Joe is a properly exciting prospect, I must say.

I'm another one that thinks Annis was purchased to play through the middle / anywhere he can effect the game. If the right DM is in there with him, a massive box has been ticked IMHO.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm another one that thinks Annis was purchased to play through the middle / anywhere he can effect the game. If the right DM is in there with him, a massive box has been ticked IMHO.

I’ve been the forum whipping boy for years SJ……….its because I have some outspoken opinions which pisses others off. I’m very accustomed to it and I actually feel quite unnerved when I get the occasional compliment.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

That's gonna make @Robbored OS crash for sure. He'll need a reboot.

I’m right tho Sleepy.

Others have posted that deals are done before the OS announces it - well that maybe so but unless you’re Itk how does ordinary fans get to know?       :dunno:

Via the OS of course

I rest my case m’lud……………:cool2:

2 hours ago, Boston Red said:

But him at left midfield with Pring behind him is a tasty prospect.We have eight attackers at the club and they are ALL right footed ( Wells Bell Mehmeti Cornick Weimann Conway Wilson Sykes) A talented left footed attacking midfielder would give us serious options to play 4-4-2. Bryan wide left with Pring bombing forward in front of him would be very difficult to stop.

We have finally settled on 4231 formation, and it seems to be working for us. I don't see JB fitting into that other than at LB. He wouldn't fit into the front 3 IMO. For me he is an attacking fullback, and you just accept his defensive weakness.

52 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

A left hand side of Cam and Joe is a properly exciting prospect, I must say.

I said the same thing 4 or 5 years ago and @Robbored said it was because he took rovers fans to the Brighton Playoff game ?. I actually remember seeing a white mini bus on route to Cardiff with gasheads waving a flag, perhaps it was him. 

Edited by Kodjias Wrist
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I said the same thing 4 or 5 years ago and @Robbored said it was because he took rovers fans to the Brighton Playoff game ?. I actually remember seeing a white mini bus on route to Cardiff with gasheads waving a flag, perhaps it was him. 

It was actually Wembley not long after the redevelopment was completed in 2008. It was very impressive.

The guys I drove up were mates of mine who thought it would amusing to get a Die hard City fan to drive them up and watch the game. I agreed if they bought my ticket and they did. None of them wanted to drive as they all wanted to go on the piss.

However I did feel like a fish out of water surrounded by masses of blue and white quartered shirts………….:disapointed2se: 

I know the Gas won but can’t remember who the opposition were or the score.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

We have finally settled on 4231 formation, and it seems to be working for us. I don't see JB fitting into that other than at LB. He wouldn't fit into the front 3 IMO. For me he is an attacking fullback, and you just accept his defensive weakness.

…and yet some of his best football (if not his best) for us came as a LM/LW?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Unfortunately RR is a troll. If you go on the politics forum, in the Labour thread, you can witness more of his deliberate obduracy.

I put him on ignore some time ago after running out of patience with his antics. I am only aware now of his stuff due to people quoting him!

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

This was on the OS? :)

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

…and yet some of his best football (if not his best) for us came as a LM/LW?

Yes agreed, with Magnússon behind him, but he was more of a traditional LM rather than a Left forward. We played 4411 in that team under LJ. Like i said i dont see Joe fitting into a very forward role.

I dont reckon he is coming anyway! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Yes agreed, with Magnússon behind him, but he was more of a traditional LM rather than a Left forward. We played 4411 in that team under LJ. Like i said i dont see Joe fitting into a very forward role.

I dont reckon he is coming anyway! 

That system was very flexible in-game. Somehow LJ just hit on something...then never seriously tried to replicate it but with slightly better or different individuals. Could have bolsters some parts of it, weakened some others but got a similar workable framework.

4-4-1-1 could become...

1) A 4-3-3 of sorts.

2) A 4-4-2-0 of sorts

3) A similarly 4-6-0 of sorts.

Probably varied other iterations too. Could certainly see it become a 4-2-3-1 of sorts in game...take your back 4, Smith and Pack central, Brownhill and Bryan pushed higher, Paterson in the free role and Reid scoring, pressing and assisting as Reid did that year.

15 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

FAM getting injured and having to play Reid upfront was my take on it. Then it clicked. Unfortunately they all got knackered after Xmas. 6 years ago now !

Possibly so yeah. With that side you take out one or two component parts and suddenly the whole dynamic changes...

Wright-Flint-Baker-Magnússon

Gives you that solidity centrally.

Brownhill can go central and out side on one side. Bryan can slot to LB in some phases hut also pish high.

Reid with his position and his historic midfield role was 2 in 1 effectively, Paterson for a time was fantastic pre illness...centrally gave us numbers and some control too yet could pull left.

Yet on paper the addition of Maenpaa, Kalas, Webster, Kelly can make that same shape even better...had we played that and Weimann for Reid perhaps it could have been replicated in 2018-19!

Probably could have done with another CM and striker in January 2019 as well as it played out. Hegeler had to retire, Korey and Walsh had injuries. Weimann through the middle for some games instead of Diedhiou may have given the opposition a bigger issue but another striker for depth and competition wouldn't have gone amiss. Unlike under NP we had ample FFP room then. Maybe another CM and striker instead of Palmer.

Maenpaa

Wright Kalas Webster Kelly

Brownhill Smith Pack Eliasson

Paterson

Weimann

Bench depth strength:

Fielding, O'Leary, Pisano, Baker, DaSilva, Morrell, Walsh, O'Dowda, Diedhiou, Taylor was he still there.

Could be worse certainly if laid out that way! O'Dowda that year wasn't too bad at times either. One more CM due to the Korey and Walsh injuries, one more srriker for depth etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

FAM getting injured and having to play Reid upfront was my take on it. Then it clicked. Unfortunately they all got knackered after Xmas. 6 years ago now !

Reid played the whole of that pre-season up front. An intentional position switch by LJ.

• Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

He'd easily fit into the three on the left.

Its his natural position.

He doesn't describe himself as a defender and has actually said it isn't his best position.

With Pring and Naismith on the left behind him, it would be ideal imo.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Boston Red said:

Bryan has always been a left midfielder/left wing back. He is good at crossing and shooting, but no good at defending. He is too weak physically at heading and tackling. 

But him at left midfield with Pring behind him is a tasty prospect.We have eight attackers at the club and they are ALL right footed ( Wells Bell Mehmeti Cornick Weimann Conway Wilson Sykes) A talented left footed attacking midfielder would give us serious options to play 4-4-2. Bryan wide left with Pring bombing forward in front of him would be very difficult to stop.

I agree that, should JB sign, he will most likely end up playing in front of the back four - assuming NP retains that formation, which would be a shame for Kane Wilson….

Re. JB’s heading ability, I think, given his height - he is a relatively short 5’8” - it is quite impressive.

I may be mistaken - it does happen, albeit rarely ? - but I am pretty sure I read that he suffered a quite serious injury when he was a boy, and was given a detailed training regime that required a lot of jumping exercises, hence his ability.

Perhaps it is hereditary, though, and runs in the family, as I am pretty sure his sister is a talented athlete, although I can’t recall whether she competes at high jump.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I agree that, should JB sign, he will most likely end up playing in front of the back four - assuming NP retains that formation, which would be a shame for Kane Wilson….

Re. JB’s heading ability, I think, given his height - he is a relatively short 5’8” - it is quite impressive.

I may be mistaken - it does happen, albeit rarely ? - but I am pretty sure I read that he suffered a quite serious injury when he was a boy, and was given a detailed training regime that required a lot of jumping exercises, hence his ability.

Perhaps it is hereditary, though, and runs in the family, as I am pretty sure his sister is a talented athlete, although I can’t recall whether she competes at high jump.

Pole Vault iirc.

• Thanks 1