IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

On 28/04/2023 at 13:51, Ska Junkie said:

I still don't get the stick that is given to @Robbored, I genuinely don't.

A left hand side of Cam and Joe is a properly exciting prospect, I must say.

I'm another one that thinks Annis was purchased to play through the middle / anywhere he can effect the game. If the right DM is in there with him, a massive box has been ticked IMHO.

He's like the Neil Warnock of the forum. You feel a certain urge to have a dig at the Rovers Bus Driver, but deep down, he is a character who many actually like and enjoy reading his comments. 

• Like 8

There's no way that Bryan is in it for the money. When he played for Fulham he lived in a nice-but-not-super-top-end 2-bed flat in Fulham and had his mate lodging with him. He seems to now indulge in the odd supercar here and there but that comes across as a genuine hobby rather than doing it for the sake of showing off. A far cry from a flash footballer.

He'd probably make the squad stronger, would be a good age, and he'd be happy living back home I'm sure.

If the finances fit then I see no reason not to sign him.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree. I was thinking yesterday that if someone said to you "we can sign a versatile, two footed, experienced pro, who has 3 promotions under his belt" You would be interested. If you then said "He has premiership experience and scored two goals in a play offs final and he is still under 30" you would be very keen. 

Take the name and his connection to the club out of the equation and it's a no-brainer.

add to that a known proven asset to the community who cares about others

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

There's no way that Bryan is in it for the money. When he played for Fulham he lived in a nice-but-not-super-top-end 2-bed flat in Fulham and had his mate lodging with him. He seems to now indulge in the odd supercar here and there but that comes across as a genuine hobby rather than doing it for the sake of showing off. A far cry from a flash footballer.

He'd probably make the squad stronger, would be a good age, and he'd be happy living back home I'm sure.

If the finances fit then I see no reason not to sign him.

Agree with every word.

My only other slight concern is where do we see him playing.

As yesterday showed Pring is probably in our top three performers & once Scott leaves will arguably rival Conway as our biggest asset.

Left back is nailed down then & as everyone seems to believe the Wimbledon kid is a done deal as his cover, we don’t need (or can afford) 3 in the squad.

Bryan can play elsewhere but our current formation really doesn’t lend itself to him playing in front of Pring, he could play centre mid alongside James & I’m sure he would do well, but that’s not somewhere that he’s played a lot in his career.

If this is true there has to be a plan but just like McCrorie, it isn’t immediately obvious.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with every word.

As yesterday showed Pring is probably in our top three performers & once Scott leaves will arguably rival Conway as our biggest asset.

Left back is nailed down then & as everyone seems to believe the Wimbledon kid is a done deal as his cover, we don’t need (or can afford) 3 in the squad.

Bryan can play elsewhere but our current formation really doesn’t lend itself to him playing in front of Pring, he could play centre mid alongside James & I’m sure he would do well, but that’s not somewhere that he’s played a lot in his career.

If this is true there has to be a plan but just like McCrorie, it isn’t immediately obvious.

I can see him playing as a left sided DM for us. He has all the attributes to do so. Imo, he's better in that position than a LB. And when watching him I always saw him as a left sided midfielder. His strengths in his game equate to that. 

Check out his stats over the seasons. And the comments on his strengths as a player in the link. Scroll down. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/134331/Show/Joe-Bryan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I can see him playing as a left sided DM for us. He has all the attributes to do so. Imo, he's better in that position than a LB. And when watching him I always saw him as a left sided midfielder. His strengths in his game equate to that. 

Check out his stats over the seasons. And the comments on his strengths as a player in the link. Scroll down. 

I agree. I always thought we never saw enough of him in midfield. On the odd occasions he played there he did very well. Are his legs still up to bombing down the wing all game any more too?

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I agree. I always thought we never saw enough of him in midfield. On the odd occasions he played there he did very well. Are his legs still up to bombing down the wing all game any more too?

I agree. I think he's one of those players with a ' natural' fitness. However his strengths as a DM and offensive attributes could suit us imo. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree. I think he's one of those players with a ' natural' fitness. However his strengths as a DM and offensive attributes could suit us imo. 

Joe an Matty James in midfield would be good to see I think, a nice mix of defensive minded and attacking instinct. I never really enjoyed Joe as a LB if I`m honest - he backed off far too much IMO and let attackers push him too far back towards the box.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

Me too, unless someone has offered us a fortune for Pring, it doesn’t make sense otherwise.

Joe is both academically & in a football sense far smarter than average but still an intriguing potential positional change for him.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with every word.

Judging by @Davefevs observations yesterday, the left side of a diamond? 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Me too, unless someone has offered us a fortune for Pring, it doesn’t make sense otherwise.

Joe is both academically & in a football sense far smarter than average but still an intriguing potential positional change for him.

He has played in this position. In fact his strengths and stat rating is better as a DM than LB. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

This is what I think, basically playing the role King is now. But can cover the left sided positions too, if needed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

He's like the Neil Warnock of the forum. You feel a certain urge to have a dig at the Rovers Bus Driver, but deep down, he is a character who many actually like and enjoy reading his comments. 

Robbored is not all bad but simply posts too much, often with nothing to say beyond Stating the Bleeding Obvious  as if it was the wisdom of the ancients.

By the way, is it meant to be Robbo Red or Rob Bored? I’ve never been sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Robbored is not all bad but simply posts too much, often with nothing to say beyond Stating the Bleeding Obvious  as if it was the wisdom of the ancients.

I’m quite aware of that Leveller. I post the bleeding obvious for the benefit of some posters that can’t see the woods for the trees. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

By the way, is it meant to be Robbo Red or Rob Bored? I’ve never been sure.

I believe it is Robb O'Red.

• Haha 1

On the face of it, signing Joe makes little sense if you think of him purely as a LB.  However, as others have said the DM role could make perfect sense, as well us give us more natural options (either in game or relative to opposition) such as Cam playing CB if required, as he's done pretty well when called upon to do so, and Joe slotting in LB.  Also it could allow for a back 3 with Cam or Joe equally comfortable in either the left sided defenders slot or the wing back role or even in front of one another in a 442 or 451 or 433.  

It's actually a very versatile looking signing (not going to use any club in bag based analogies) 

11 minutes ago, Midred said:

Didn't Joe play left wing and then making him a left back became an LJ project?

First time I watched him in 13/14 he played LM, then Cotts made him LWB.  Then LJ played him LB, then LM/W, then LB.  He played a few games CM under LJ too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Pring and Bryan on the left. Looks very well balanced. Not sure we will have had a natural balance like that since Bell (senior) and Tinnion. That didn't turn out too badly 

Mccorie & Sykes on the right. I will look forward to next season if the rumours are true. 

• Robin 1

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This is what I think, basically playing the role King is now. But can cover the left sided positions too, if needed.

I see it slightly differently, mate. I could easily see Bryan slotting in ahead of Pring with Mehmeti and Weimann battling for the 10 slot in a 4-2-3-1. Plus, he offers cover in CM, LB and LWB if we switch to a system with wing-backs. Either way, would be a good addition IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tin said:

I see it slightly differently, mate. I could easily see Bryan slotting in ahead of Pring with Mehmeti and Weimann battling for the 10 slot in a 4-2-3-1. Plus, he offers cover in CM, LB and LWB if we switch to a system with wing-backs. Either way, would be a good addition IMO.

He could cover LF, but I don't think it's a position he's played much in his career?

Agree on Weimann best as a 10. Mehmeti though - my Wycombe mates say he's best as LF in that forward three. 

13 minutes ago, Searles said:

Still don’t see it. We have signed Mehmeti to play LW and he can alternate with Bell…..we have Pring as a first choice left back who is progressing nicely. He doesn’t fit the profile that we want. 

Have we though?
He has played LW and 10, could be an early Alex Scott replacement!

• Like 1

Imo, and I’d assume others, one of joeys best games was against Man Utd. Looked just as good as the prem opposition. Obviously he started LM that game in a flat 4-4-2 but if you watch a YouTube video on “the coaches voices” channel where LJ explains his tactics he specifically mentions that both LM and RM on that game we’re given specific jobs to press man utds fullbacks high, which is one of the reasons he kept pushing after winning the ball when he scored. 
Having him in front of pring competing with a younger bell and allowing mehmeti to play/compete with andi for the .10 works i think. That’s only if we use the same formation next season.

I would take him in a heartbeat on the right money. And about NP not going back to old players he did it with both king and James so don’t think he’s got too much of a problem with it. If it suits him it suits him. 

• Like 6
  • Robin 1