IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

Only 29 got 2 or 3 good years left.

If we can afford him it’s a no brainer.

Play in at least 3 positions.

Attitude never in question model pro , Bristolian and a great player.

Hope it’s true.

Also Pring is nearly 26 not as young as some think on hear.

Pring and Joe cut from the same cloth.

Would make are squad much stronger.

• Like 11

Bryan can play in a number of ways and positions. His value is his versatility!

Ive not really seen much of him for the last season or two, but if there is anything in this then Mr Pearson thinks he is still very decent. 

Money is always an issue, however as someone rightly said if he comes he will be within the wage structure and to be frank it’s common knowledge he struggled personally away from Bristol. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Bryan can play in a number of ways and positions. His value is his versatility!

Ive not really seen much of him for the last season or two, but if there is anything in this then Mr Pearson thinks he is still very decent. 

Money is always an issue, however as someone rightly said if he comes he will be within the wage structure and to be frank it’s common knowledge he struggled personally away from Bristol. 

Out of contract so a singing on fee could soften the reduced wages blow too?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedEyez said:

When asked about the Leicester job a few weeks back, Nige was firm in his comments - “that ship has sailed” , he said. 

Perhaps he may look at this situation in a similar way. 

I was thinking the same way I'm not sure nige would want a player returning I'm not saying it won't happen but not sure if nige wants to get into that cozy club feel again players coming back etc.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Street red said:

I was thinking the same way I'm not sure nige would want a player returning I'm not saying it won't happen but not sure if nige wants to get into that cozy club feel again players coming back etc.

He was pretty interested in Pack (allegedly).

Edited by Davefevs

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting Joe's "good attitude" being brought up.

Has reminded me that his application was actually pretty poor in his last few months here. Less than impressed with his attitude then tbh. 

I'm inclined to agree with you on "application". Always on it for the big games (Rovers/Man Utd. for us, Ch'ship play off final for Fulham) but seemed to coast on too many occasions. 

Bright lad, think he's in football for the money rather than have a passion for the game.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Has reminded me that his application was actually pretty poor in his last few months here. Less than impressed with his attitude then tbh. 

Not helped, apparently by LJ taking the piss. Comments such as “no bids for you yet Joe”. His mental health problems have been well documented since he left city. Not so sure LJ motivated him that well I the period he was obviously leaving!

• Like 1

Joe’s a good bloke, would rather sit n read a book in the local independent coffee shop than go out on the lash, sensible if you must, does his bit for mental health us blokes know how important that is, he isn’t afraid to admit if he’s had a bad game cuz he knows good games come too.

I’d welcome him back to play centre mid, left back, someone the academy can bring in to teach to the youngsters about playing in the big league, playing abroad and how to stay out the spotlight. 

Good pro is Joe

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still don’t buy the bad attitude, downed tools stuff at the end.

Still think there was lots of factors, like moving back from Left Wing to Left Back to accommodate Ryan Kent, who left Bryan exposed all the time.

Could see him playing infront of pring with mehmetti possibly playing in scotts position when he departs .

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

I'm inclined to agree with you on "application". Always on it for the big games (Rovers/Man Utd. for us, Ch'ship play off final for Fulham) but seemed to coast on too many occasions. 

Bright lad, think he's in football for the money rather than have a passion for the game.

Couldn’t imagine anything further from the truth.

He told me at the end of that 17/18 season that he wanted a fresh challenge having been at City so long, wanted to test himself at a higher level…and in fact said money was not a factor at all.  He’d come from a privileged upbringing and money wasn’t ever a factor for him.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He told me at the end of that 17/18 season that he wanted a fresh challenge having been at City so long, wanted to test himself at a higher level…and in fact said money was not a factor at all.  He’d come from a privileged upbringing and money wasn’t ever a factor for him.

Let’s not also forget he had a bad injury in the academy and City took a chance after then to give him another chance, he rarely let us down 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes I am surprised at those comments too, I think it's an assumption because he isn't a working class lad and was well educated that he can't be passionate about the game.

It's worth remembering he's a winner, part of the most successful group of players we have had here in a nearly two decades, if there was a problem with his attitude then Cotts would have seen through that pretty quickly.

It's timely that the Joe Low thread has brought up discussions on players going down to easily, because in amongst the spectacular stuff that Joe did here, the thing I remember most was his refusal to go down easily. It's in the Bradford game, he bursts into the box and is clearly taken out and would win a penalty, but he somehow stays on his feet to cross the ball for the 4th or 5th goal (I lost count :) ). That said more about his attitude than a lot of guff about his background.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes I am surprised at those comments too, I think it's an assumption because he isn't a working class lad and was well educated that he can't be passionate about the game.

It's worth remembering he's a winner, part of the most successful group of players we have had here in a nearly two decades, if there was a problem with his attitude then Cotts would have seen through that pretty quickly.

It's timely that the Joe Low thread has brought up discussions on players going down to easily, because in amongst the spectacular stuff that Joe did here, the thing I remember most was his refusal to go down easily. It's in the Bradford game, he bursts into the box and is clearly taken out and would win a penalty, but he somehow stays on his feet to cross the ball for the 4th or 5th goal (I lost count :) ). That said more about his attitude than a lot of guff about his background.

Thanks for your comments. I've never spoken to Joe Bryan but I suspect that his family background and his schooling had a big influence on his development as a footballer and a human being. I spoke to an old friend of mine who was a teacher at QEH and he said that Joe Bryan had a good character and always did the best he could at everything.

We have really benefitted from the recruitment of Matty James and Andy King from Pearson's previous positions and no reason why we would not have the same from Bryan's return.

If we are serious in wanting to get promotion, we need all the help we can bring together.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Bringing Joe back would be good business.

I feel as fans we often get stuck in the mindset of “but what does that mean for Pring?!”. 

It means serious competition for places, which is what’s required to challenge at the top end of the division. 

Joe is versatile enough to challenge for a starting spot in a variety of positions. That can only have a positive impact on the squad. 

This isn’t the ‘comfy club’ any more. Nige wants a squad full of competition. 

I also wouldn’t rule out the Currie deal AS WELL as signing Joe. It’s a big step up from League 2, and if Currie were to sign, then it is highly likely that the 1st season would be spent ‘settling in’ like the plan was for Tanner.

For all we know, Bryan could be signed for the Left-wing position, which allows Mehmeti to play as the ‘10’.

Signing such as Bryan, and McCrorie bring greater depth in not only one position, but to the squad as a whole. It’s sensible business.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Could see him playing infront of pring with mehmetti possibly playing in scotts position when he departs .

I mentioned this idea to my brother at the weekend, if Pearson wants to keep pace out wide (ie Bryan, Bell, Sykes) then Mehmeti would be perfect down the middle with his trickery and scored plenty for Wycombe. Maybe Joe signing allows this too? 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The comment was intended⁰ to suggest he's not a Bakinson or  Tomlin, not a bad apple who will disrupt the group and, despite turning 30 this year, not an old lag looking for one last pay cheque who'll just dial it in every day. 

• Like 2

If his wage demands fit within our structure, it’s a no brainer for me.

Another senior pro with the club at heart to help the young ‘uns come through. At 29/30 years old, he has plenty to offer too IMO. 

Let’s hope @Bcfcshagsis on the money again. Can’t see us brining in Currie as well though, unless Pring is off which would be a gutter.

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, headhunter said:

think he's in football for the money rather than have a passion for the game.

How have you come to that conclusion?

From everything I have read about the bloke I think the complete opposite (not that he'd play for £100 per week, but definitely not go anywhere purely for money).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Bringing Joe back would be good business.

I feel as fans we often get stuck in the mindset of “but what does that mean for Pring?!”. 

It means serious competition for places, which is what’s required to challenge at the top end of the division. 

Joe is versatile enough to challenge for a starting spot in a variety of positions. That can only have a positive impact on the squad. 

This isn’t the ‘comfy club’ any more. Nige wants a squad full of competition. 

I also wouldn’t rule out the Currie deal AS WELL as signing Joe. It’s a big step up from League 2, and if Currie were to sign, then it is highly likely that the 1st season would be spent ‘settling in’ like the plan was for Tanner.

For all we know, Bryan could be signed for the Left-wing position, which allows Mehmeti to play as the ‘10’.

Signing such as Bryan, and McCrorie bring greater depth in not only one position, but to the squad as a whole. It’s sensible business.

Boom ? 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TheReds said:

How have you come to that conclusion?

From everything I have read about the bloke I think the complete opposite (not that he'd play for £100 per week, but definitely not go anywhere purely for money).

I didn't express myself in the way I had intended - I don't know Joe but from what I read he is smarter than the average footballer. He may have the brain power to be an accountant or [like his dad] a surgeon and neither of those jobs pay the [alleged] £40k per week he has earned over the past 5 years.

• Like 2