IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

14 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

History littered with returning players?

You must be joking. Working backwards there are Carey and Murray who had short and not too productive spells away, yet came back and did very well. 

Prior to that in the 1970/80's Chris Garland and Tom Ritchie and did superbly well. Chris even came back a third time after being one of the Ashton Gate Eight.

And the only other two that I can remember were Jimmy Rogers and Jack Boxley. Heroes in the first promotion team that I saw in 1955, they left, probably didn't want to and both returned a couple of years later. Rogers is still third highest scorer, I believe!

I haven't included the trash like Tomlin and a few other ex loaners as IMO, I don't count loaners as permanent players.

Golbourne and Cotterill are the only other two I can think of. I'd say both did broadly the job they were brought in to do when they returned. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

He had a serious injury, pretty certain he would have started the season at right back. Nige said it’s been a tough recovery for him. He now has a pre season to get himself back up to speed. 

It’s certainly better than what it was IMO. By a long way 

I think the decision was taken that there was no point of rushing him back and to instead give him every opportunity of being fit for next season with a good pre season under his belt. 

Having him available will be like making a new signing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

History littered with returning players?

You must be joking. Working backwards there are Carey and Murray who had short and not too productive spells away, yet came back and did very well. 

Prior to that in the 1970/80's Chris Garland and Tom Ritchie and did superbly well. Chris even came back a third time after being one of the Ashton Gate Eight.

And the only other two that I can remember were Jimmy Rogers and Jack Boxley. Heroes in the first promotion team that I saw in 1955, they left, probably didn't want to and both returned a couple of years later. Rogers is still third highest scorer, I believe!

I haven't included the trash like Tomlin and a few other ex loaners as IMO, I don't count loaners as permanent players.

Trevor Morgan another returnee..Mid 80's

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What makes him fit the “passenger” tag in your eyes.  And what impact do you think his injury has had on his chances (post-recovery).  I’m not agreeing or disagreeing, just interested in why you consider him a passenger.

He's been fit for months and hasn't even been making the matchday squad - what other tag is there for him?

Injury of course hasn't helped but when he was fit at the start of the season Pearson chose to play a right winger at wing back ahead of the L2 POTY, which I found baffling.

40 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

He had a serious injury, pretty certain he would have started the season at right back. Nige said it’s been a tough recovery for him. He now has a pre season to get himself back up to speed. 

It’s certainly better than what it was IMO. By a long way 

31 minutes ago, Taz said:

Well considering he was out for a large part of the season with an injury, understandably not a lot.

He didn't play any part at the end of the season as he wasn't needed, and we weren't playing for anything.

After having players return, too early in some cases, and then get a recurrence and/or something else because they're not up to speed, it made absolutely no sense in even risking Wilson with the season end around the corner. Correct decision in not risking him completely.

People already writing him off (not in this case, but it has been said) need to remember Szmodics. Was bombed back out and now playing the best football of his career to date with Blackburn.

He hasn't been written off, nor is he a passenger. His first season here has been a write off because of the injury and rehabilitation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wouldn't get your hopes up about seeing Wilson in a City shirt again, there's no place for him in a back 4 and he's been told he can leave if a buyer is found, which I'm sure won't be an issue.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

15 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

He's been fit for months and hasn't even been making the matchday squad - what other tag is there for him?

Injury of course hasn't helped but when he was fit at the start of the season Pearson chose to play a right winger at wing back ahead of the L2 POTY, which I found baffling.

Wouldn't get your hopes up about seeing Wilson in a City shirt again, there's no place for him in a back 4 and he's been told he can leave if a buyer is found, which I'm sure won't be an issue.

There’s no place for him in our best back four currently. well…. Obviously????

Young tenacious player who was brought in because of his potential not current ability.

During his injury Tanner started games and done brilliantly, why would Pearson drop him? And by The time he was back fit our bench was already very strong so it was hard to fit someone returning from injury with no match experience in? 
A full pre season will do him good and will probably start the season as cover for Tanner, if Tanner doesn’t perform or gets injured he will come in with a versatile mccorrie as cover in that position. All seems very easy to understand to me. Cant pick every player for every game. 

2 minutes ago, George Rs said:

There’s no place for him in our best back four currently. well…. Obviously????

Young tenacious player who was brought in because of his potential not current ability.

During his injury Tanner started games and done brilliantly, why would Pearson drop him? And by The time he was back fit our bench was already very strong so it was hard to fit someone returning from injury with no match experience in? 
A full pre season will do him good and will probably start the season as cover for Tanner, if Tanner doesn’t perform or gets injured he will come in with a versatile mccorrie as cover in that position. All seems very easy to understand to me. Cant pick every player for every game. 

That isn't what I meant, I meant there's no place for him in a back 4 as he isn't a viewed as a full back. Pearson has already alluded to this in his press hence why he's had academy full backs on the bench over him at the tail end of the season, as he doesn't see him as an option for the role.

I just find it strange really as even Sykes has started there this season, Wilson is definitely better equipped to play as a full back in a back 4 than Sykes is.

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

I wouldn’t rule out that happening anyway. The club giving new deals to Atkinson and Tanner despite them not being in their final year shows a shift in ‘protecting assets’

Need to pay Cam what he deserves, not currently offering enough.

30 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

The decision was made to not risk him and instead give him an extended period of time to build his fitness up because we didn't need to risk him. 

Wilson got injured in pre season and in those games where you mention at the start of the season, he was still carrying the injury so therefore it wasn't baffling.

You're trying to spin an untrue narrative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CyderInACan said:

What's he being offered?

Not enough to reflect how he's played this season, that said he does want to sign a new deal.

Pearson has alluded to this in his press recently, he said that he doesn't believe in elevating a player who has done well for one year to being in line with some of your top earners.

It's a nice thought, but the reality is nowadays players like Pring can just dig their heels in and then go and get what they feel they're worth elsewhere. He won't be short of interest.

• Like 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

The decision was made to not risk him and instead give him an extended period of time to build his fitness up because we didn't need to risk him. 

Wilson got injured in pre season and in those games where you mention at the start of the season, he was still carrying the injury so therefore it wasn't baffling.

You're trying to spin an untrue narrative. 

That's not true - I'm not sure where you've heard that.

Even Nigel has said in his press that Wilson has been fit, but he's preferred to have a look at academy players. See the quote below.

"It's my decision based on what I think is right for the squad. I want a balanced squad. Kane is an attacking player, he's not a defensive full-back.

"You've seen Harry Leeson play for the Under-21s, he's a good defender. For me, I don't worry about trying to keep players happy for the sake of keeping them happy. I do what is right for the squad. Outside of that, people's egos I'm not bothered about."

32 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Came back, made the bench v Man City (28/2), sub for most of the next 7/8 until last made the 18 v Stoke (4/7).  He got 10 mins v Swansea.

So the facts are he missed the last 6 squads / 1 month.

He was injured pre-season and Sykes took his chance at RWB.  We know Nige’s stance on selection policy.

What I’m asking is he a passenger - down to himself or a passenger - down to the manager, or even a bit of both?  I tend to refer to a passenger as someone who isn’t putting the effort in, ie it’s down to them, rather than not being selected…hence asking for clarification.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Not enough to reflect how he's played this season, that said he does want to sign a new deal.

Pearson has alluded to this in his press recently, he said that he doesn't believe in elevating a player who has done well for one year to being in line with some of your top earners.

It's a nice thought, but the reality is nowadays players like Pring can just dig their heels in and then go and get what they feel they're worth elsewhere. He won't be short of interest.

6 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Unsure on figures, but not what Cam or his agent believe he should be on. 

That bit in bold is surely fair? I'll admit he was fantastic to watch this year - and I'm sure it's not gone un-noticed - but surely he himself is realistic about the next level of remuneration he should be elevated to? 

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

That bit in bold is surely fair? I'll admit he was fantastic to watch this year - and I'm sure it's not gone un-noticed - but surely he himself is realistic about the next level of remuneration he should be elevated to? 

Like I said I'm not sure on what the numbers are or what he thinks he should be on, just that the club aren't offering him enough. Don't think he'd expect to be one of the top earners just what he feels he deserves, what that is, is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I'm not saying it's not in fairness mate, but whilst it might be fair as I said if Pring or other players don't think the contracts fairly reflect what they know they'll get offered then they'll push for their move.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Came back, made the bench v Man City (28/2), sub for most of the next 7/8 until last made the 18 v Stoke (4/7).  He got 10 mins v Swansea.

So the facts are he missed the last 6 squads / 1 month.

He was injured pre-season and Sykes took his chance at RWB.  We know Nige’s stance on selection policy.

What I’m asking is he a passenger - down to himself or a passenger - down to the manager, or even a bit of both?  I tend to refer to a passenger as someone who isn’t putting the effort in, ie it’s down to them, rather than not being selected…hence asking for clarification.

Fair enough. If you listened to Pearson's press, he'd have you believe he's not been present in the team due to fitness levels and possibly a lack of drive to get there., which I don't believe is true.

I think it's fair to say he's been a passenger this year personally as when he's been available he hasn't really ever featured, but it's a game game of opinions.

• Like 1

Just now, Jimbo123 said:

I'm not saying it's not in fairness mate, but whilst it might be fair as I said if Pring or other players don't think the contracts fairly reflect what they know they'll get offered then they'll push for their move.

Fair enough. If you listened to Pearson's press, he'd have you believe he's not been present in the team due to fitness levels and possibly a lack of drive to get there., which I don't believe is true.

I think it's fair to say he's been a passenger this year personally as when he's been available he hasn't really ever featured, but it's a game game of opinions.

Is this any different from Pring, Atkinson, etc…setting the levels required, etc…aka Nige’s style of man-management?  You can throw Bakinson into the same approach too.  Some come through it, some don’t.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LittleUn said:

Joe Bryan is too intelligent to think he would be getting an easy life under Nigel Pearson! 

Sign a 3-year contract, coast through some training sessions, get bombed out to the reserves and see out your footballing career on 12k per week whilst living back close to your family. 
I'm not saying I think that will definitely happen or that’s his plan but I do worry that, even subconsciously, he won’t be as motivated as he was at the start of his career. 
what are his LT goals? Many will say getting his boyhood club back to the Premier League but I just don’t quite buy that. I think he wants it as a lifestyle choice which is a concern for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Sign a 3-year contract, coast through some training sessions, get bombed out to the reserves and see out your footballing career on 12k per week whilst living back close to your family. 
I'm not saying I think that will definitely happen or that’s his plan but I do worry that, even subconsciously, he won’t be as motivated as he was at the start of his career. 
what are his LT goals? Many will say getting his boyhood club back to the Premier League but I just don’t quite buy that. I think he wants it as a lifestyle choice which is a concern for me. 

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

21 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Not having that one bit, joe has never been that type of player…he will offer a lot more than the likes of kalas, Dasilva, who are on alot bigger wages than joe would be getting!! 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Unless you know him personally, I'm not sure you should be casting aspersions on his character like that.

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

I suppose the acid test is whether you would be prepared to say that to his face.

I know of no evidence that there is any such problem with his attitude. Any sniff of that and Nigel wouldn't take him on.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Bobbie said:

Based on what ? You have absolutely no idea of the character of the lad. There’s no way he’s ever come across like that . Plus the club has changed massively in that respect . No passengers here anymore 

• Like 13

Fulham will have paid him more than we ever have or will. He won't be coming back for the money and he won't get an easy ride.

Sure it's a 'nice' move should it happen but he would have to want to be here. As others have said, NP wouldn't have it any other way.

1 hour ago, Bobbie said:

Christ.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Bear in mind also that Joe has spent this season in the company of Kasper Schmeichel. I daresay that he'll know exactly what to expect from Nige, and likewise Nige will have a good idea of what sort of player and character he's getting.

He just needs to look at this

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2