IGNORED

Be careful what you wish for

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Care to enlighten me as to what I've missed? Other than someone obviously baiting the forum and obviously having a good time (fair enough)? Might be a forum in-joke or something, I'm not here that much lately.

A (or an attempt at a) satire on the "be careful what you wish for" lot. I think you missed that. Don't worry about it.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Leicester 2016 (2023)

Blackburn 1995 (1999) (2001)

Leeds 1992 (2004)

Aston Villa 1981 (1987)

Derby Co 1975 (1980)

er, Manchester Utd 1967 (1974)

Ipswich Town 1962 (1964)

Is it really worth it? Shouldn't we just be happy with our lot?

since following city as a young lad in the days of top cat terry cooper like many i have never seen us at the top table.

my only wish is in my lifetime is to be at the top table even if it is for one season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, big dosser said:

since following city as a young lad in the days of top cat terry cooper like many i have never seen us at the top table.

my only wish is in my lifetime is to be at the top table even if it is for one season.

Same here, I started going down the gate in 1982 so are by no means a glory hunter.

It would be nice to see City at the top table before I die. I'm 50 next year, it pretty pathetic that we haven't made it in my time of supporting the club. Yet I've seen teams we played in the 80's and onwards have their day in the sun.

I remember what John Atyeo said to me after the playoff defeat at Walsall he said "don't worry son, your time will come" I'm still waiting Big John!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

Same here, I started going down the gate in 1982 so are by no means a glory hunter.

It would be nice to see City at the top table before I die. I'm 50 next year, it pretty pathetic that we haven't made it in my time of supporting the club. Yet I've seen teams we played in the 80's and onwards have their day in the sun.

I was just 12 when I first attended AG - 56 years ago. The highlight in that time was obviously the 4 season in the old first division - followed by City tumbling down the league’s with gates between5-6k ………….:facepalm:

Like many of my generation I’ve waited ever since to a return to the top division and would be absolutely love to see top PL clubs like Liverpool et el playing at AG again.

Of course it’s always possible that it might only be for one or maybe two seasons but what a journey it would be. That said Nige will know just how quick the PL is and adapt the training methods and backroom set up along with astute signings City could well become an established PL club.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Leicester 2016 (2023)

Blackburn 1995 (1999) (2001)

Leeds 1992 (2004)

Aston Villa 1981 (1987)

Derby Co 1975 (1980)

er, Manchester Utd 1967 (1974)

Ipswich Town 1962 (1964)

Is it really worth it? Shouldn't we just be happy with our lot?

And this is the sort of attitude/mindset that is the exact reason we have underachieved for so many years. Far too many un ambitious numpties that follow this club.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Im sure it is the mindset/attitude  of the players that matters

Fan expectations affect players more than you would think . Been told many times by fans of other clubs that our fans don’t have  the the ambition and passion of a lot of other clubs at this level and I have to say i completely agree.

In terms of staying in the top flight some clubs might need to be realistic. The mass culling of mangers that seems to happen these days won't fix a squad blighted by injuries or who have no strength in depth. 

You look at clubs like Stoke and Charlton as two examples who decided they needed to 'push on' to the next level and quickly found out that the next level would end up actually being the Championship and League One respectively.

A lot of different factors (including luck) need to align to win a championship and unless the gulf is insane like it is in Scottish football then there is always the chance that another team might get the ingredients right to mount a title challenge from inside of the pack. The problem is that once that team wins the league inevitably the more financially powerful clubs quickly move in to poach the better players and break it up, so fewer clubs could ever potentially dominate like Leeds, Liverpool, Man Utd and Man City now appear to be doing.

As supporters though, if we didn't dream of the possibility of getting to the Premier League or winning something now and again then there wouldn't really be much point to it. Let's hope that we never see the "Superleague" and a closed shop because that really would destroy the game for supporters of clubs like ours who live for the dream.

Edited by Gert Mare

23 hours ago, Bris Red said:

And this is the sort of attitude/mindset that is the exact reason we have underachieved for so many years. Far too many un ambitious numpties that follow this club.

No no, he does have a point . Notts County finished 3rd in the top flight in 1900 now look at em ! 

On 29/05/2023 at 10:29, Elruliri said:

I remember what John Atyeo said to me after the playoff defeat at Walsall he said "don't worry son, your time will come" I'm still waiting Big John!

same as me and still have me shirt , im 50 in august hopefully this will be the year for us 50 year olds

IMG_9162[1747].JPG

• Flames 2

On 30/05/2023 at 13:31, big dosser said:

same as me and still have me shirt , im 50 in august hopefully this will be the year for us 50 year olds

IMG_9162[1747].JPG

I’m banking on us getting there in nine years time when I hit 65 as I might be able to afford a Prem season ticket if I can get OAP prices ?