IGNORED

George Lowrie former player in the late 1940's

Elruliri

1 hour ago, Elruliri said:

Hi, I was chatting to his son this afternoon and never came across his name before. Only played a handful of games. Ex Wales International who played just before Big John. Was wondering if anyone knew more about him.

I saw him playing in first team in the first year or two after my first match in April 1950.He broke a leg a year or two after which possibly may have finished his career.

He played  48 games at City from 1949 to 1952, scoring 21 goals. 

He was born in the same village, Tonypandy, in the Rhondda valley, as my father, who knew him as a youngster before his football career.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 3
  • Robin 7

Remember him well in the early 50s, he could certainly kick a ball and often took the penalties.

He once tried distracting the opposing goalkeeper by walking to the spot and bent down to give the white area a good dusting!

Whilst working for Gardiners, Broad Plain, I had to go to Packers chocolate factory at Greenbank to measure up for some new windows, and met him in the stores area, where they kept the walnuts for topping chocolate whirls. This was the early 60s after finishing playing.

The 50s team were often on Weston S Mare beach training and saw him there also.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1