IGNORED

Who's next?

Spudgun

Off the academy production line?

Am interested on people's thoughts, that are more clued up than I am on who's currently in the academy and who could follow in the footsteps of Scott, Conway and Bell.

In your opinion, is there anyone else ready to step up do you think?

42 minutes ago, Spudgun said:

Am interested on people's thoughts, that are more clued up than I am on who's currently in the academy and who could follow in the footsteps of Scott, Conway and Bell.

Palmer -holden not far away another young striker also like the look if Marley Rose.

• Like 1

Depends if you count the likes of Kadji and Taylor-Clarke with minimal appearances, if you're going down the zero appearances route then probably Jamie Knight-Lebel would be the next likely guess, Leeson has appeared on the bench a couple of times seemingly with Zac Bell stalling in the last 12 months or so. Morrison may get a bit more prominent as he gets a bit older. 

42 minutes ago, Spudgun said:

It depends on expectations. Omar Taylor-Clark has, already had some minutes in a 1st team shirt and is the obvious candidate as the next cab on the rank for a real breakthrough.

Clearly they think a lot about young Harry Leeson as they've involved him in the matchday squad experience but the likely outcome is that he will be a major player in the U21s next season. 

I'd like to see Seb Palmer-Houlden given a chance. His absence from the U21 semi final against Sheffield United was interesting. Do they have a loan in mind for him to bring him along or could it mean they see him as part of the senior pool next season. Interesting to see when the squad numbers are handed out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spudgun said:

Cheers guys, 

Yeh think Taylor-Clarke hasn't done a lot wrong and been ok from what I've seen of him.

Is Jamie Knight-Lebel the centre back who was injured towards the end of last season?

Yep, really unfortunate timing with our injury situation at the first team. Araoye one who looked really impressive v Bournemouth in pre season who was an injured centre back.

Elijah Morrison is being heavily raved about by Tinnion, think his time could come this season and hopefully we see more of OTC

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If you mean is the next that will be a first team regular like Bell, Conway and Scott then I would say Morrison 

Sorry, I should of clarified really.

This is what I really meant, who would next be a first team regular starter.

Can't say I know much about him (Morrison), exciting times at the moment with all the talent coming through.

Edited by Spudgun

Morrison looks a real prospect, I'm not sure what the best position will be for him as he's played a few positions. He's only 17 so plenty of time for him, but he is rated very highly. Would be surprised to see him in the match day 18 now and then.

Araoye, who is 19 but missed a lot of the season, is one that could be interesting, should be back for the coming season.

Could be a big season for 18 year old Knight-Lebel as well, but we may be well stocked for centre backs by the start of the season.

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

and without stating the obvious the level the first team are playing at

Yep, as good as our academy is doing, it would not surprise me if minutes are down considerably next season.  That doesn’t mean it’s gone downhill, just might be more that squad depth isn’t being covered my the young’uns.

To have 8-10 academy players in a match day squad is incredible.

To have 6 starting is phenomenal, it was regularly 4 too, which is pretty amazing too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, as good as our academy is doing, it would not surprise me if minutes are down considerably next season.  That doesn’t mean it’s gone downhill, just might be more that squad depth isn’t being covered my the young’uns.

To have 8-10 academy players in a match day squad is incredible.

To have 6 starting is phenomenal, it was regularly 4 too, which is pretty amazing too.

God knows where we would have been without the Academy over the past couple of years, L1 probably.

However, unless the current bunch move on/god forbid pick up longer term injuries, it is difficult to see where the next batch will get the same amount of minutes.

The difficulty for the Academy, Tinnion and of course NP to a certain extent is how to continue to integrate the under 21s, and even younger ones in some way; whilst adding experience and championship quality that will allow us to push on into the top half of the division.

There are going to have to be some hard calls (of the Towler ilk i think) along the way. We are guilty of our own success to a certain degree. But the Championship is such a hard division that having young players playing in the first team in order to give them experience is generally not an option unfortunately, they have to be better than what we already have at our disposal.

Who'd be a coach? ?

Spoiler

• Robin 1

I know he has already broken through from the academy but the injuries mean Benarous has to re-establish himself. He's immensely talented and it must have been a mental and physical struggle with the cruciate ligament injury reoccurrence. It would be great to see him back, playing at the same level as before and for him to have an injury-free season.

Joe Low is an interesting one and was just selected for the Wales squad.  I honestly don't know if he is ready to compete for a place at Championship level.  I suppose it comes down to whether the mistakes he has made for the first team and recently for an academy game were down to nerves or just simply because he isn't ready.  Probably the latter. There will be a couple of centre-backs signed and Atkinson should return from injury as well but if Kalas doesn't sign and Vyner doesn't extend and City cash in with just a year left on his contract then there might be sub-bench opportunities for Low.

Palmer-Houlden could have a breakthrough year despite the number of strikers we have on paper. Wells' goals dried up, Weimann struggled last season, Cornick still has to prove he is better than a late impact substitution player and Bell appears to play better out wide. That leaves Conway as the main striker. Palmer-Houlden seems to have that same natural scorers instinct and he's got the aerial ability to play centrally.  I suspect that if Scott is sold, another striker to compete for Conway's position will be signed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

I know he has already broken through from the academy but the injuries mean Benarous has to re-establish himself. He's immensely talented and it must have been a mental and physical struggle with the cruciate ligament injury reoccurrence. It would be great to see him back, playing at the same level as before and for him to have an injury-free season.

Joe Low is an interesting one and was just selected for the Wales squad.  I honestly don't know if he is ready to compete for a place at Championship level.  I suppose it comes down to whether the mistakes he has made for the first team and recently for an academy game were down to nerves or just simply because he isn't ready.  Probably the latter. There will be a couple of centre-backs signed and Atkinson should return from injury as well but if Kalas doesn't sign and Vyner doesn't extend and City cash in with just a year left on his contract then there might be sub-bench opportunities for Low.

Palmer-Houlden could have a breakthrough year despite the number of strikers we have on paper. Wells' goals dried up, Weimann struggled last season, Cornick still has to prove he is better than a late impact substitution player and Bell appears to play better out wide. That leaves Conway as the main striker. Palmer-Houlden seems to have that same natural scorers instinct and he's got the aerial ability to play centrally.  I suspect that if Scott is sold, another striker to compete for Conway's position will be signed.

Not sure what to make of Low, most Walsall fans I see aren't too complimentary of him. I agree especially if Vyner re-signs that it's gonna be difficult for him to win a spot here.

If we're not talking purely making the 1st team but actually being a regular, I think Benarous is the most obvious choice. Hopefully most of his injury woes are behind him now.

40 minutes ago, RobinTuga said:

Not sure what to make of Low, most Walsall fans I see aren't too complimentary of him. I agree especially if Vyner re-signs that it's gonna be difficult for him to win a spot here.

If we're not talking purely making the 1st team but actually being a regular, I think Benarous is the most obvious choice. Hopefully most of his injury woes are behind him now.

From what I’ve seen so far, he’s got a helluva lot of development work to make it at this level.  I’d say he still needs a lg2 loan next season as a starting point.  Whether his Walsall experience get him that opportunity or not I don’t know.

23 minutes ago, Malago said:

Olly Thomas has the look of Semenyo about him.

Strong ball carrier, wouldn’t surprise me to see him break through next season.

A funny one.  Last season he looked really good breaking into the u23s (as it was then), but coming back from injury this season he’s not quite had the same impact.  Still very young, and as you say, got a bit of Semenyo about him.

Omar Taylor-Clarke isn't established yet surely? 6 appearances for a sum of 194 minutes and not a single full 90 minutes. All once we were basically safe as well. As others are saying about Benarous, so OTC is going to need to prove himself if he's to become a proper squad player.

I'd be interested in views on Leeson. He was included in a few squads last season, I watched him warm-up v Watford iirc, looked good but a little short maybe, perhaps will be Cam Pring kind of build once he fills out? Any thoughts on him from those that watch the kids play?

8 hours ago, MrRedRobin said:

Would be interesting to see the full backs, Callum Wood and Harry Leeson. Will be hard to break into the first team but would be good to see them both being in and around the matchday squad.

Wood's not really a full back, he's a centre back who can play full back when called upon but its not his best position

• Like 2

On 30/05/2023 at 15:35, SecretSam said:

It's truly marvellous how the academy is really doing well. Older fans will remember the old days, when 'academy' meant "5 foot 6 weakling, with terrible touch who gets one game"

Mad, when you think about 1982 et al

Very true. And, a lot more recently than that, the days when most of the discussion about it was about how much money we were wasting on it. 

Fair play to SL for sticking to his guns, and sticking with it. It’s another of the decisions he’s called right in the end. And - assuming he was involved - in Tinnion an appointment he’s got right on the footballing side. 

• Like 1