IGNORED

DaSilva sent to Coventry

Silvio Dante

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Alex Scott, Joe Williams…before that, Jay Dasilva (?), Dan Bentley, Tomas Kalas, Kasey Palmer, Han-Noah Massengo

Good points well made @Davefevs

I think other than the Alex Scott one, the other 4 years handed out have come back to bit us somewhat.

I think we're probably a bit more circumspect nowadays.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Jay has a lot of excellent attributes - among the best in our squad in some cases I think. He also has some weaknesses, and areas of his game that can be improved. That's why he's a Championship player!

You can't question his attitude though. If he combine that with finding a team who will take advantage of his qualities then he'll do very well - and I hope he does as I like him a lot. That's not the direction we're heading in as a team, and I'm glad we're letting go good players who don't fit our ethos/strategy now, rather than holding on to them "just in case".

People saying he's "terrible" at some things - give it a rest. As I said, he's a Championship player with strengths and weaknesses and has done consistently pretty well for us as a club on the pitch. Good luck to him, I think Coventry will be a decent fit, and if it is they've got themselves a good and tidy player who I reckon could do easily a job in the top half of the table.

Never the same player after those shin injuries for me.

Seemed to lose a yard if pace, and attacking endeavour. Technically very very good and you could see why he got into England Under 21s. The injuries also changed the way that he tackled/got involved physically for me. He seemed to be hesitant for a while, demonstrating a lack of confidence that NP picked up on at times.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Good points well made @Davefevs

I think other than the Alex Scott one, the other 4 years handed out have come back to bit us somewhat.

I think we're probably a bit more circumspect nowadays.  

I’d probably question that word a bit…I’d say we are actually clearer these days.  Seems to be we are phasing out the “+1 Yr option” and going for pure “x years” contracts now.  I think the “+1” stuff lulled us into a false sense of security about when contracts really needed to be looked at…and we ended up chasing our tail a bit.  Gives clarity re budgets too.

Totally agree re biting us.  Scott aside it looks like the only fee we will get from that bunch was the £50k for Bentley, plus Massengo’s compo.  Financially those signings were nigh on disastrous against the two objectives when they signed:

- get promotion and / or

- sell for a profit

I know covid had a big impact, but even so, they haven’t worked out.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Think this sounds overly bitter if I'm honest.

Whether their wages have gone up or not they likely still have one of the lowest wage budgets in the Championship.

They haven't played O'Hare because he got an ACL after a contract extension last year.

You talk about all championship clubs having to make cut backs to wages then assume Jay will be on more than Bidwell without knowing anything. 

On the point on them not selling Gykores prior to having only a year on his contract, maybe they thought they had enough quality in their team to challenge for promotion instead and whether you think they were lucky to be in the play offs or not it nearly paid off for them.

Nah no bitterness. Just correcting people that say they have the second lowest wage bill. I know quite a few Cov fans and it gets quite boring having to correct them. Quite a few of them genuinely believe their wage bill is 5 million.

The point I'm making is they got promoted with a circa 5 million wage budget. That was really impressive. 

Since then they have increased their wage budget by 10 million at the end of last season and even more this season. This is at a time where most other clubs like our own were making huge cut backs. This is the point I'm making. They may still have one of the lowest budgets, but they've been able to strengthen when the majority of clubs below them have had to weaken themselves.

They got promoted at the right time and because of their ability to invest in the squad due to receiving Championship money they have been able to strengthen their team at a time where other clubs have not been able to strengthen. 

If Nige suddenly had 10-15 million available to spend on wages I'd fully expect us to be in the play offs and that's why I'm not surprised they got there. It's certainly no fairytale story that others make it out to be. 

Yep they pretty much gambled everything on getting promotion this season instead of selling their best players when their value was at their peak. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

22 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Jay has a lot of excellent attributes - among the best in our squad in some cases I think. He also has some weaknesses, and areas of his game that can be improved. That's why he's a Championship player!

You can't question his attitude though. If he combine that with finding a team who will take advantage of his qualities then he'll do very well - and I hope he does as I like him a lot. That's not the direction we're heading in as a team, and I'm glad we're letting go good players who don't fit our ethos/strategy now, rather than holding on to them "just in case".

People saying he's "terrible" at some things - give it a rest. As I said, he's a Championship player with strengths and weaknesses and has done consistently pretty well for us as a club on the pitch. Good luck to him, I think Coventry will be a decent fit, and if it is they've got themselves a good and tidy player who I reckon could do easily a job in the top half of the table.

Excellent attributes

- good with the ball at his feet

- rarely gives possession away

Weaknesses

- No pace

- Cant beat a man

- small

- targeted by opposition teams

- lack of dynamism 

- can only play in 1 position

- cant cross a ball

Comapred to his loan spell his time with us has been a disappointment. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I think this is unfair Riaz, although I understand the point you're making. 

In our system he is average. He does the basics brilliantly but in a counter attacking side he doesn't offer enough in terms of stretching the game on the outside to be considered as first choice. 

But in a team that plays through the middle and dominates possession I'd argue he's amongst the best left backs in the division. 

To coin the phrase from boxing, "styles make fights" and in football, a teams style or identity will inevitably create ceilings for certain players depending on their suitability. 

JD is a perfect example of how illogical and scattergun our recruitment has been since Cotterill left. Every player bought or loaned under Cotts served a specific purpose, either by filling a gap or by improving on what we had with players who were of a similar style (the Tavernier loan after Little got injured for example)

As I said elsewhere, I'm not sorry to see him leave in the slightest. Retaining him serves no purpose. But he's not average, he's very good. Just not in our system. 

It’s quite interesting that I suspect most of us see Coventry as one of the more possession based sides in the Champ.  Me included to an extent.

image.thumb.png.663628afb5c359cc0b211582885702c7.png

Yet they aren’t, they are quite direct in a number of ways, counter-attacking through Gyokeres in that inside left channel for example.  I think we see players like Sheaf and Hamer and sometimes come to the wrong conclusions.

They are quite similar to what we were before our recent transition (when we switched to a back 4) to trying to control possession more.

image.png.a4a97c62bc1e0e5ca7da7111ea3f7db2.pngimage.png.a4a97c62bc1e0e5ca7da7111ea3f7db2.png

I do think he’s a better technician than Bidwell, but he’s not an “up and back” merchant by any stretch.  Perhaps Robins is signing him to transition the team to one that controls possession more.

22 minutes ago, Searles said:

- No pace

He's not fast, but I wouldn't say he has no pace.

- Cant beat a man

8OcouAc.gif

- small

image.png.c81f94a4fe684c2fdbb408feb58faa3d.pngimage.png.55bed607e88f63c9fb760bd0446e62dd.png;) 

So? Weakness maybe, but not one that will prevent him being a very good player. I don't pay much attention to things like that personally. I don't think it affects his game all that much.

- targeted by opposition teams

Examples? People say it, I rarely see it.

- lack of dynamism 

What does that mean?

- can only play in 1 position

He's played left back, left wing back, and left midfield this year hasn't he?

- cant cross a ball

HVIS8Cx.gif

His crossing is poor, but he can "cross a ball". It can be coached and improved.

I'm obviously not saying he has no weaknesses, but you're being ridiculous so I am a bit in response. Not everything is this black and white. He's a good player.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

He's not fast, but I wouldn't say he has no pace.

8OcouAc.gif

image.png.c81f94a4fe684c2fdbb408feb58faa3d.pngimage.png.55bed607e88f63c9fb760bd0446e62dd.png;) 

So? Weakness maybe, but not one that will prevent him being a very good player. I don't pay much attention to things like that personally. I don't think it affects his game all that much.

Examples? People say it, I rarely see it.

What does that mean?

He's played left back, left wing back, and left midfield this year hasn't he?

HVIS8Cx.gif

His crossing is poor, but he can "cross a ball". It can be coached and improved.

I'm obviously not saying he has no weaknesses, but you're being ridiculous so I am a bit in response. Not everything is this black and white. He's a good player.

Just because he has performed in different positions doesn’t mean he did it well. Stuart Peace once stuck David James upfront, doesn’t mean he offers much.

One good cross in how many years? Dynamism = Pring, Bryan etc.

Edited by Searles