IGNORED

Kennilworth Road - a fortress to behold in the Prem????????????

southvillekiddy

On 01/06/2023 at 15:09, Davefevs said:

Great post.

Someone like Lockyer is gonna have to adapt very quickly.  All those sly things he’s does off the ball and at set-pieces (at both ends) will get spotted and penalised.

And once a few teams have beat their press, they are gonna be in a bit of a dilemma about whether to stick to their style.

I don’t think they’ll get pumped every week, but teams have learned how to deal with the likes of Stoke over the last number of years.

They may get spotted but given the standards of refereeing and the idiots in the VAR booth I wouldn't guarantee they'd get penalised. 

On 02/06/2023 at 08:07, RedM said:

They have had to spend £10m already on facillities for Sky/VAR etc. Existing camera points not good enough for the Premiership.

So they're going to a new ground but they've gotta spend mega bucks on revamping this one............................er, are they building a new South Stand, perchance ?

As I've said before on other threads, I was a Luton Town fan from 1972-77. My parents were from Bristol but I was raised in Harpenden (home of Eric Morecambe) and 6 Miles from Luton.

We moved back to Bristol in time for the 77-78 season. It was easy for me to transfer my loyalties as my Dad was a die-hard City fan even though we would go to the Oak Rd week in, week out to support The Hatters.

I can only apologise to the 6 year old kid who suffered abuse that day. It is sooooo wrong.  I was a young teenager when City played at Kenilworth Rd and I too received all kinds of hand signals walking past the City coaches after the match. OK, I was wearing my scarf tied around my wrist (it was a thing in those days) and I was double his age but It doesn't make it right. 

I said Oak Rd. The home end in those days was the Oak Rd. The away end was Kenilworth Rd. In my day that was an open terrace. The Bobbers Stand (so named as it cost a bob to enter) was the small terrace running alongside the touchline. In my day it was a bank of seats. In the 80s, they replaced the seats with executive style boxes. 

Luton Town gave me a love for football. I was able to watch my childhood hero every Saturday - a certain John Aston. I can't remember the 66 World Cup final but I was in awe of the Man U v Benfica European Cup final a couple of years later in 1968. George Best? Pah. John Aston won it for them and that was who I wanted to be on the footy field....sadly not though when it came to playing the game.

I also had the privilege of watching Paul Futcher make his debut. Forget Ron (his twin who fortunately decided not to sign for us), Paul was an incredible player.

Even though I am City through and through now (and yesterday bought another return flight to watch BCFC in September),  LTFC will always be special to me. I still have my orange, blue and white scarf. I would still have my classic Admiral shirt had my mother not thrown it out deliberately it (due to a terrible divorce that made a national newspaper). 

I returned a couple of times to Kenilworth Rd to watch BCFC. My loyalties were no longer with Luton. My last visit was in the 93-94 season. The Oak Rd was now the away end but I was a guest and sitting in the Main Stand. I remember checking my emotions and it was the team from BS3 that I was there for.

So where is this epistle going? I don't really know except that whilst it is indeed a dump of a football ground, it is my childhood dump of a football ground. That dump can't be taken away from my memory and nor will I let it. 

See you at Ashton Gate in September.

COYR.....and yes, we are definitely going up this season.

• Like 4

From a distance it looks like them & Sheffield United are in a competition as to who finishes bottom.

Luton have signed a Barnsley defender & a Rotherham striker, good players in the Championship, but they aren’t now.

Sheffield United haven’t signed anyone & their manager admitted they released 2 players (Stevens & Sharp) he would have kept.

Spot on about Luton & VAR, Morris’ dives & Lockyer’s fouling will be spotted by it.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Looks like they've done away with the boxes down one side then?

Correct 

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

They may get spotted but given the standards of refereeing and the idiots in the VAR booth I wouldn't guarantee they'd get penalised. 

Do people honestly think these things don't go on at a higher level? 

They occur at all levels of the game right up to world Cup finals etc