IGNORED

Kennilworth Road - a fortress to behold in the Prem????????????

southvillekiddy

Kennilworth Road could become a fortress for Luton and therefore their sole(?) source of points and even contribute to survival for a short time?

I'll tell you why. Tuesday 27th august 1996/7 season .......... AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! ......A date seared in my memory

Went with my little boy who found it totally captivating that we had to go through some old dears back garden to get to the away end. Then all down the left side of the pitch ARE BEACH CHALETS!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!.

If that juxtaposition doesn't seriously send the away hard nuts away reeling and speechless, chattering amongst themselves and missing the game then what?

Next to say their fans are vile would be a kindness. Horrible animals.

They beat us 5 nil, yes that's right. Their goalie (cheeky ****er) even came up near the half way line to take a potshot!!

Cole Skuse was new to the team and made it obvious how p*** por he thought the others were playing

One of theirs was a penalty by that cretin Kevin Nicholls (next in line for the head of the Orcs) and didn't that ****er make the most of winding us up when it went in.

BUT 5 NIL WASN'T ENOUGH FOR THEM!!!!!!!!  That's why they are vile and to be feared??

On the way back to the station they were giving 2 fingers and other lovely salutations to a 6 year old boy and his dad

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Thanks 1

I think its great that they're in the Premier League with the state of that ground. It will be interesting to see how the likes of Arsenal & Chelsea cope with those "facilities" It will also underline the ridiculous disparity of wealth there is in football and how [like FIFA] its completely lost touch with reality in the real world. Football used to be known as a working man's game. I find it really hard to justify £100M for any player [& nothing against him] but here he will step forward onto the lovely Kenilworth Road pitch as an equal. Astonishing really.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Kennilworth Road could become a fortress for Luton and therefore their sole(?) source of points and even contribute to survival for a short time?

I'll tell you why. Tuesday 27th august 1996/7 season .......... AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! ......A date seared in my memory

Went with my little boy who found it totally captivating that we had to go through some old dears back garden to get to the away end. Then all down the left side of the pitch ARE BEACH CHALETS!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!.

If that juxtaposition doesn't seriously send the away hard nuts away reeling and speechless, chattering amongst themselves and missing the game then what?

They beat us 5 nil, yes that's right. Their goalie (cheeky ****er) even came up near the half way line to take a potshot!!

Cole Skuse was new to the team and made it obvious how p*** por he thought the others were playing

One of theirs was a penalty by that cretin Kevin Nicholls (next in line for the head of the Orcs) and didn't that ****er make the most of winding us up when it went in.

BUT 5 NIL WASN'T ENOUGH FOR THEM!!!!!!!!  That's why they are vile and to be feared??

On the way back to the station they were giving 2 fingers and other lovely salutations to a 6 year old boy and his dad

Very well described. Even the allotments on the way into Watford away end were much more interesting than the beach huts.

Unfortunately I think it will not be any sort of a fortress and too predictably they will return to the championship likely bottom of the league .

If they’re sensible they will do a Burnley and not overspend in a futile attempt to stay up ,but with parachute payments be in a great financial position to compete  in the championship and possibly go up again with a stronger team that has more of a chance of survival.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Redtrojan said:

Unfortunately I think it will not be any sort of a fortress and too predictably they will return to the championship likely bottom of the league .

If they’re sensible they will do a Burnley and not overspend in a futile attempt to stay up ,but with parachute payments be in a great financial position to compete  in the championship and possibly go up again with a stronger team that has more of a chance of survival.

I work with a Luton season ticket holder who thinks they’re likely to bank as much as they can to go towards financing the new stadium

I genuinely don’t see it being a fortress.

The game has moved on from the nearest parallel of Wimbledon in the 80s. Players, particularly at premier level, are more protected and VAR makes it harder to get away with roughhousing or shithousing - and we know Luton play on the edge.

Players won’t be intimidated about playing in a small ground - how often do we see big clubs humbled at small grounds nowadays? Add in that the pitch isn’t small, it’s just enclosed, and I don’t think De Bruyne is really going to be that bothered that 8000 Luton fans are shouting at him.

Unless I’m mistaken, Luton won a lot of games 1-0. That isn’t happening next season. Every team has a striker (bar Everton) that can finish more clinically than our level, so they need more goals. Don’t see those coming.

If people genuinely think that premier league players will be a) intimidated and b) not protected then they’re mistaken.

Their best bet is going up and getting the money for long term sustainability. We’ve seen from Huddersfield for example how quickly that money can go though.

I’m firmly in the camp of them challenging Derbys lowest point record. The ground isn’t the factor people think it is and VAR/refereeing nature at the higher level is a huge part of that.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The game has moved on from the nearest parallel of Wimbledon in the 80s. Players, particularly at premier level, are more protected and VAR makes it harder to get away with roughhousing or shithousing - and we know Luton play on the edge.

Players won’t be intimidated about playing in a small ground - how often do we see big clubs humbled at small grounds nowadays? Add in that the pitch isn’t small, it’s just enclosed, and I don’t think De Bruyne is really going to be that bothered that 8000 Luton fans are shouting at him.

Unless I’m mistaken, Luton won a lot of games 1-0. That isn’t happening next season. Every team has a striker (bar Everton) that can finish more clinically than our level, so they need more goals. Don’t see those coming.

If people genuinely think that premier league players will be a) intimidated and b) not protected then they’re mistaken.

Their best bet is going up and getting the money for long term sustainability. We’ve seen from Huddersfield for example how quickly that money can go though.

I’m firmly in the camp of them challenging Derbys lowest point record. The ground isn’t the factor people think it is and VAR/refereeing nature at the higher level is a huge part of that.

Great post.

Someone like Lockyer is gonna have to adapt very quickly.  All those sly things he’s does off the ball and at set-pieces (at both ends) will get spotted and penalised.

And once a few teams have beat their press, they are gonna be in a bit of a dilemma about whether to stick to their style.

I don’t think they’ll get pumped every week, but teams have learned how to deal with the likes of Stoke over the last number of years.

• Like 1

Think it can easily go one of two ways;

1. They manage some good results (most likely at home) early in the season and they stay up with their current style although I think it will be just barely.

2. They get demolished in their first couple of games by the likes of Man City/Newcastle etc who will quite obviously beat the press as they can’t really play defensively as they aren’t good enough to keep out prem teams. And most likely end up bottom by quite some way.

Nothing against Luton or the job they’ve done this season but that tactic only works when you have confidence and are playing people close to your skill level. The difference between them and the majority of prem teams is just to great imo and might just lead to a 14 point season for Luton.

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

We beat luton 5 nil at home around late august that season goodridge on fire that night and jason cundy was playing for us on loan from spurs or chelsea.... Anyways 2004/2005 we lost 5 nil away i was there...... 

Perhaps this logic is why Rovers are still playing at Horfield. They are planning to get to the Premier League and  it will be a fortress. It’s just the tiny detail of getting there that is the problem 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I also think they won’t be far away from Derby’s awful points record and I also think the record 9-0 defeat in the prem could be under threat when they’re away to the likes of Man City/Liverpool/Newcastle.

All this talk of the tight stadium helping them etc is all bull imo. One side of the stadium doesn’t even have fans in and the rest is what a grand total of about 9-10k home fans hardly like old tight stadiums like Selhurst park.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Mayes86 said:

I also think they won’t be far away from Derby’s awful points record and I also think the record 9-0 defeat in the prem could be under threat when they’re away to the likes of Man City/Liverpool/Newcastle.

All this talk of the tight stadium helping them etc is all bull imo. One side of the stadium doesn’t even have fans in and the rest is what a grand total of about 9-10k home fans hardly like old tight stadiums like Selhurst park.

I think this is a more likely scenario. Top teams in the Premier League are used to playing away to the best teams in Europe with partisan crowds. In comparison, Luton is hardly likely to frighten them. Even the average / poor teams have to play away at clubs like Liverpool, Man Utd etc with 40k plus crowds and good players. Luton with average, at best, players and 9k home supporters will be an experience, but not an insurmountable one. 

7 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

I was at that game and had erased it from my memory. Considering Luton’s away form was better than their home form this year, I can’t see how it will be a fortress and I suspect Derby’s record low points total is at risk. We shall see.

8 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Brilliant, best post in a long time, I found this hilarious!!

17 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think you are right. I don't see many teams wanting to be the team that Luton beat!

17 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I genuinely wish them well.

But Kenilworth Rd is an embarrassing dump. 

Makes you realise how lucky we are to have AG.

Hopefully, they will use the prem money to buy a new stadium.

Hopefully the prem sets them up for their new stadium, but the fact they got there with that dump is embarrassing for everyone else!!

36 minutes ago, RedM said:

They have had to spend £10m already on facillities for Sky/VAR etc. Existing camera points not good enough for the Premiership.

The floodlights have to be upgraded as well. Plus apparently they have to upgrade the car park to accommodate up to 4 (!) broadcast trucks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mayes86 said:

Based on what exactly? The 3 teams promoted last season all stayed up after being written off before the start of the season. 

Years ago teams might of feared going to the small,tight grounds,however with the improvement of the pitches that fear has all but subsided.I personally think they’ll come straight back down.

I think it will depend on how they start, they will be full of confidence and a little bit of an unknown which mat help them. Away to Brighton then home to Burnley, all games are tough but it could have been much worse. 

I can see it being tough for some teams to go there, I don't see them being whipping boys like Derby but they will of course be massive favs to come back down.

On 01/06/2023 at 15:09, Davefevs said:

Someone like Lockyer is gonna have to adapt very quickly.  All those sly things he’s does off the ball and at set-pieces (at both ends) will get spotted and penalised.

I hope so, I really hope so.