IGNORED

Champions league final

32 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah lets bring Manu back to the top of the table with their small amount of money.

Hang on  thry might do it with some overseas investment. Can't wait.

Which one? Sheikh Jassim is Qatari and I assume has access to said resources. Unless you mean Ratcliffe.

Man United are heavily loss making in recent years ironically, FFP?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perfectly valid regulatory position although without FFP- and it is in some ways an artificial construct- what kind if squads could PSG and Man City hold and maintain.

Could e.g. Man City still have Zinchenko, Sterling, Jesus in addition. Depth insane.

PSG still retain last year Navas- depth again, Herrera, Wijnaldum, Gueye, Paredes, Di Maria, Icardi- post January Sarabia. Others too.

The numbers both could then rest for the League, to rotate with Team 1 and Team B.

What would the risk then be of Abu Dhabi v Qatar finals every year.

The situation you describe would definitely be bad for the game but I think the rules on squad numbers would prevent that to some degree. Clearly you need some rules to keep things competitive but I don't feel the ones in place on allowable losses etc are done with the best interest of the sport in mind, I think they were primarily for the big clubs to have barriers to entry for clubs like Man City, due to the timing of when they were brought in.

I remember when City had wages to turnover of 130% or something like that when Gary Johnson was manager but it wasn't a thing back then and nobody made the argument that we were cheating.

To be honest a lot of finals especially in England are billionaire A vs billionaire B these days.

Edited by Baba Yaga

I nearly switched off before kick off . WTF has happened to football ?  The , frankly , over the top staged performance and pyrotechnics add nothing to the game. It’s becoming like the Super Bowl.  
The match was rubbish with only Rodri’s inch perfect shot to light up up a dull  spectacle of powder puff cheating tarts rolling around on the ground as if they’d been in the ring with Hulk Hogan. 
I hoped to see the amazing skills of Grealish, Haaland, Rodri etc but only Ederson, Silva,Ake and Stone stood out. 
A big disappointment as a match but a great day for money. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Congrats Manchester City ! More then well done. Best team in the world.

Fair play to Inter, they gave them one hell of a game and didn’t give them any time on the ball 

I thought MC would roll them over fairly easily but they were a tough nut to crack

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

It’s nice to see how many people are happy for them but this isn’t the beautiful story some are telling. 115 financial breaches - the repercussions would kill off a ‘non-elite’ club.

I agree with your sentiment but they are not the only ones. Everybody loves Barcelona but their financial affairs are far from pure same for Chelsea, Newcastle and PSG to name a few. Money has ruined the football dream that a club like us could win the premier league and compete in the UCL without state or foreign investment. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I nearly switched off before kick off . WTF has happened to football ?  The , frankly , over the top staged performance and pyrotechnics add nothing to the game. It’s becoming like the Super Bowl.  
The match was rubbish with only Rodri’s inch perfect shot to light up up a dull  spectacle of powder puff cheating tarts rolling around on the ground as if they’d been in the ring with Hulk Hogan. 
I hoped to see the amazing skills of Grealish, Haaland, Rodri etc but only Ederson, Silva,Ake and Stone stood out. 

I actually enjoyed the game. Yes it wasn't exactly free flowing football but it was a real test for MC. I agree though with the pre match stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You’re right about pre-match.

The fact you didn’t get to see what you wanted is credit to Inter. I didn’t see any difference between the behaviour of both sets of players.

I thought it was an enjoyable watch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s becoming like the Super Bowl.

Quite agree, Major. Clearly the model for world-class (read: broadcast all over the world, kerching!) events, UEFA has cottoned on to this aspect. I have no complaints when it is done well, but I fear the show overshadowing the actual game. In America it is par for the course.

Speaking of which, the CL Final was not as bad as the Conference Final with West Ham earlier - that really was a Dark Arts Special.  At least the CLF was fairly open and a gritty battle of different philosophies - as befits a Guardiola/Inzaghi confrontation - but there was certainly a underlying current of unpleasantness. As is mentioned, the 'skill' players were edged out by the 'ugly side of the game' types. Sometimes it happens.

25 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Jesus, how hyped up were those commentators and pundits and what was all that bollocks before hand?

Turn the sound systems down, let the fans sing and let the players play.

Turned the TV on at 7.45, to watch the build up, thought exactly that and switched it off again until 7.59. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

The situation you describe would definitely be bad for the game but I think the rules on squad numbers would prevent that to some degree. Clearly you need some rules to keep things competitive but I don't feel the ones in place on allowable losses etc are done with the best interest of the sport in mind, I think they were primarily for the big clubs to have barriers to entry for clubs like Man City, due to the timing of when they were brought in.

I remember when City had wages to turnover of 130% or something like that when Gary Johnson was manager but it wasn't a thing back then and nobody made the argument that we were cheating.

To be honest a lot of finals especially in England are billionaire A vs billionaire B these days.

Tbh from a financial perspective, thought about it before and I'm sure a cash break even rule would be best in terms of stability. The question is as always how do you combine stability and solvency with competitive balance. Squad number would definitely help that's true.

Rules weren't in place then but do see your point for sure, fundamentally is spending more on wages than legitimate income cheating? Whole different thread tbh, quite what the perfect answer is who knows.

Yes it seems that way. Trying to think of some examples of it not bring the case- JPT maybe? Beyond that...billionaires, private equity, big money companies or state input the higher you go, here and across Europe to varying degrees.

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

See your point on one level, game itself but two teams on the pitch.

On that note, I must say yes we know Man City can blow anyone away but the way Inter were spoken of by the English media or a lot of it in the build-up as some sideshow, easy etc etc- well it was far from easy or a walkover. Bale tipped Man City to win 5-0 e.g. but in a final and vs a side very well coached, with 5 or 6 talented individuals that felt presumptuous.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

See your point on one level, game itself but two trams on the pitch.

On that note, I must say yes we know Man City can blow anyone away but the way Inter were spoken of by the English media or a lot of it in the build-up as some sideshow, easy etc etc- well it was far from easy or a walkover. Bale tipped Man City to win 5-0 e.g. but in a final and vs a side very well coached, with 5 or 6 talented individuals that felt presumptuous.

No wonder the game didn't get going - all a bit too crowded out there on the pitch.....

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

100% agree . Over hyped and totally commercial with the actual game itself being almost secondary . Man City have won the treble and I’m sure Man City fans will be pretty chuffed for a few days until their joy is eroded by the fact that they totally expected to win it anyway . Personally I watch football for the joy and disbelief that Hammers fans experienced last week . Not the box ticking excercise completed by Man City fans yesterday ! 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I didn't even see the build up. Sounds like I didn't miss much in that respect.

Like you I missed it , but heard it on the radio. The Kick Off show has been sponsored by 'Big Cola' for several years, hence the completely OTT US sh1t show that took place.

We're just lucky that they haven't invented a Half Time show like the Superball yet.

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Jesus, how hyped up were those commentators and pundits and what was all that bollocks before hand?

Turn the sound systems down, let the fans sing and let the players play.

Must admit I couldn’t quite understand the    ridiculous praise given to Edison for his match winning miracle save ! ( Not the one that actually was a match winning miracle save . It was the one that bounced up off his knee that he knew xxxx all about !!) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

They've not been found guilty of those charges. 

Chelsea have proven that throwing money around doesn't guarantee success. What Man City have done in a footballing sense is truly incredible.

Man City don't even throw money around either so it can't be argued that they brought the league. Haaland - 50 million, Akanji - 30 million, Alverez - 15 million etc etc etc. 

What superstars have Man City brought? 

The elite just hate it that a real working class club (with some financial backing) have scaled to the very top of world football and are now immortal. 

Just let the proper Man City fans enjoy their success. We'd all be in dreamland too if it happened to our club.

If you think that Chelsea have not been successful over the years

would love to know what a club has to win to have success in your eyes

• Like 2