IGNORED

Champions league final

22 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Man City don't even throw money around either so it can't be argued that they brought the league. Haaland - 50 million, Akanji - 30 million, Alverez - 15 million etc etc etc. 

This is a poor argument. £50m for Haaland (due to a release clause) but what's his wages? Over £300k a week apparently. De Bruyne even more than that. Foden up there too. 

£100m for Grealish was, and still looks to be, way over the top. Another on massive wages.

Transfer fees wise they have been savvy at times, but more than made up for in wages. 

The elite just hate it that a real working class club (with some financial backing) have scaled to the very top of world football and are now immortal. 

Disagree, the "elite" (and most proper fans) hate that they've basically got the unlimited money cheat codes on.

Just let the proper Man City fans enjoy their success. We'd all be in dreamland too if it happened to our club.

The fans deserve it, as happy for them as I was the West Ham fans. Must be an incredible feeling.

I actually really enjoyed the game. I thought Inter's press was very good and it really disrupted Rodri and Gundogan in the first half. I've never seen them lose the ball so much.

I think you could tell it was a City team feeling the pressure, but from an England perspective I'm happy for those lads to finally get over the line in a massive final (after the Euro loss). Can only be good for the national team.

I enjoyed Grealish's interview after, I like how raw he is compared the usual media trained stuff. He's grown on me over the last few years, he's a lad whos worked his way up to the top, have to admire that even if I think he was over priced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

This is a poor argument. £50m for Haaland (due to a release clause) but what's his wages? Over £300k a week apparently. De Bruyne even more than that. Foden up there too. 

£100m for Grealish was, and still looks to be, way over the top. Another on massive wages.

Transfer fees wise they have been savvy at times, but more than made up for in wages. 

Disagree, the "elite" (and most proper fans) hate that they've basically got the unlimited money cheat codes on.

The fans deserve it, as happy for them as I was the West Ham fans. Must be an incredible feeling.

Pogba was on 300k a week at United. Ronaldo about 400k. Sterling around 300k at Chelsea. Salah 350k at Liverpool. 

Top players cost top money. No one can argue that City haven't got value for money out of KDB and Haaland. Foden was of course an academy product so if they were to sell him they'd be talking mega money. So they've created an asset from nothing, like we do here. 

How much would City get if they sold Haaland today? 150 million plus? Fantastic buisness. 

Grealish was expensive but he's on a 6 year contract so 100 million spread over 6 years is 16 million a year. Man City fans put Grealish up there as one of their top performers this season.

If City were to sell the likes of Haaland, KDB then they'd get back more than they paid. And thats the point I'm making, City don't go out and buy megastars like Mbappe, Ronaldo, Messi, Salah etc. The narrative is that they do, but obviously they don't.

City's recruitment and their coaching is exceptional and that is why they are now treble champions and its why the likes of Man United, Chelsea, PSG and Arsenal etc are struggling to compete with them despite spending similar amounts of money. 

Over the past 5 years City's net spend has been around 45 million a season. For me that's a sustainable amount to spend. 

They also only have the 6th highest wage budget in Europe behind PSG, Real, Barca, Man Utd and Liverpool so I really can't understand the uneducated view that City buy success. If success can be bought then why haven't the clubs that's spent more been as successful? 

Liverpool splashed 120 million on Nunez and Gakpo. Jury is well and truly out on that.

Fergie brought players like Veron for 28 million which is 60 million in todays money.

It seems certain clubs are allowed to spend money (including foreign money) but City are not. And that takes me back to my point that the elite despise the fact that a traditional working class club have come along and shown them up despite spending less.

I'm just really failing to see where the unlimited money and cheat codes that you mention comes into all of this?

Man City have worked towards building a sustainable model where they can still achieve success. It's model where they are profitable (42 million last season) 

City are set up for many years of success due to the fantastic facilities they've invested in which will continue to churn out talented young players and their sustainable approach to transfers. 

This buying success is clearly a myth and probably a way of other fans dealing with their own clubs shortcomings with finances.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Flames 1

19 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Pogba was on 300k a week at United. Ronaldo about 400k. Sterling around 300k at Chelsea. Salah 350k at Liverpool. 

Top players cost top money. No one can argue that City haven't got value for money out of KDB and Haaland. Foden was of course an academy product so if they were to sell him they'd be talking mega money. So they've created an asset from nothing, like we do here. 

How much would City get if they sold Haaland today? 150 million plus? Fantastic buisness. 

Grealish was expensive but he's on a 6 year contract so 100 million spread over 6 years is 16 million a year. Man City fans put Grealish up there as one of their top performers this season.

If City were to sell the likes of Haaland, KDB then they'd get back more than they paid. And thats the point I'm making, City don't go out and buy megastars like Mbappe, Ronaldo, Messi, Salah etc. The narrative is that they do, but obviously they don't.

City's recruitment and their coaching is exceptional and that is why they are now treble champions and its why the likes of Man United, Chelsea, PSG and Arsenal etc are struggling to compete with them despite spending similar amounts of money. 

Over the past 5 years City's net spend has been around 45 million a season. For me that's a sustainable amount to spend. 

They also only have the 6th highest wage budget in Europe behind PSG, Real, Barca, Man Utd and Liverpool so I really can't understand the uneducated view that City buy success. If success can be bought then why haven't the clubs that's spent more been as successful? 

Liverpool splashed 120 million on Nunez and Gakpo. Jury is well and truly out on that.

Fergie brought players like Veron for 28 million which is 60 million in todays money.

It seems certain clubs are allowed to spend money (including foreign money) but City are not. And that takes me back to my point that the elite despise the fact that a traditional working class club have come along and shown them up despite spending less.

I'm just really failing to see where the unlimited money and cheat codes that you mention comes into all of this?

Man City have worked towards building a sustainable model where they can still achieve success. It's model where they are profitable (42 million last season) 

City are set up for many years of success due to the fantastic facilities they've invested in which will continue to churn out talented young players and their sustainable approach to transfers. 

This buying success is clearly a myth and probably a way of other fans dealing with their own clubs shortcomings with finances.

There is no doubt they have invested the money well, but it is a fact they have had incredible resources to do it with.

I think the problem a lot of people have with City is two-fold.

Firstly, they are owned by a nation state (morally dubious to a lot of people, even if the cat is out of the bag on that one now) with a pretty appalling recent human rights record, which gets barely any press attention these days.

And secondly, they have 115 charges of breaches of financial fair play against them. Rules which they themselves signed up to. If found guilty, then they will be guilty of effectively gaming the system to becoming the richest club in Europe and gain the benefits of everything that comes with that.

If found guilty, it is entirely possible, for example, that if they had abided by the rules then they would not have been able to sign Haaland. The knock-on effect of that is Haaland may have gone to Real Madrid. City without Haaland's goals may have not won the Prem. Real may have beaten them in the Champions League. All hypothetical but if found to have deliberately cheaten then they deserve everything that comes their way.

• Like 1

On 11/06/2023 at 12:44, Miah Dennehy said:

And another thing, what's with the reinvention of Manchester City as 'City'  I have heard two Bristolians call Man City ,'City' in the past week, I was genuinely confused when the first asked me if I was going to watch the City game in the pub. I'll allow Mancunians to refer to their teams as City and United, but if you ain't from there, and especially if you're from Bristol, you can **** right off!

Agreed, this thread is making me a bit ? with all this talk of 'City' this and 'City' that. Honestly don't understand how somebody who supports Bristol City could ever refer to another team as City.

• Like 3

On 11/06/2023 at 23:25, W-S-M Seagull said:

Pogba was never on £300k a week at United and when he went back to Juve he was apparently on £170k a week, surely he wouldn't have entertained a £130k per week reduction to move to Juve?  Perhaps your figures seem questionable - what was your source? 

On 12/06/2023 at 21:38, elhombrecito said:

Agreed, this thread is making me a bit ? with all this talk of 'City' this and 'City' that. Honestly don't understand how somebody who supports Bristol City could ever refer to another team as City.

man red , man blue

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Pogba was never on £300k a week at United and when he went back to Juve he was apparently on £170k a week, surely he wouldn't have entertained a £130k per week reduction to move to Juve?  Perhaps your figures seem questionable - what was your source? 

A quick Internet search gave plenty of 290k a week as his wages. 

Also footballers in the UK are subject to the 45% higher tax. Where as in Italy top footballers are afforded tax breaks so with that considered his take home pay was probably similar. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

I really enjoyed watching the treble celebrations. 

Man City have always been the peoples club of Manchester who lived in their neighbours enormous shadow. Everyone knows that Mancs follow Man City and Man Utd fans live all over. 

Despite this Man City got huge crowds in the lower leagues. They've traditionally drew their support from the working class areas of the City.  

Proper proper club where you can feel the manc culture in the very fabric of the club. 

You'd struggle to find a more passionate and noisy set of fans in this country. Their song repertoire is incredible. 

Much has been said about the 'Emptyhad' which I always felt was undeserved. They sell out every week despite not capturing the tourist fans. That may change now. 

I've really enjoyed watching their players be absolutely wasted these last couple of days and that's exactly what I mean about the manc culture running through the fabric of the club. Work hard, play harder! 

Man City are very big on this history of their club too. Despite their incredible success they have not forgot about where they have come from and their history is very much a part of their present. Their fans still sing about Maine Road. 

I can't make this post without ignoring the 115 charges. Everyone seems to be using the charges as a stick to beat them but as I'm concerned, their long suffering fans absolutely deserve this success after all they've been through. 

Yes it's not exactly a fairytale but it's a dream every other club wishes they were living, hence the bitterness. 

• Like 2

On 12/06/2023 at 18:33, Kid in the Riot said:

There is no doubt they have invested the money well, but it is a fact they have had incredible resources to do it with.

I think the problem a lot of people have with City is two-fold.

Firstly, they are owned by a nation state (morally dubious to a lot of people, even if the cat is out of the bag on that one now) with a pretty appalling recent human rights record, which gets barely any press attention these days.

And secondly, they have 115 charges of breaches of financial fair play against them. Rules which they themselves signed up to. If found guilty, then they will be guilty of effectively gaming the system to becoming the richest club in Europe and gain the benefits of everything that comes with that.

If found guilty, it is entirely possible, for example, that if they had abided by the rules then they would not have been able to sign Haaland. The knock-on effect of that is Haaland may have gone to Real Madrid. City without Haaland's goals may have not won the Prem. Real may have beaten them in the Champions League. All hypothetical but if found to have deliberately cheaten then they deserve everything that comes their way.

Whilst your argument is perfectly valid, let's not forget also that the rules that have allegedly been broken were introduced to preserve the so called elite teams of European  football status at the top of the tree. They don't want anyone else coming in and breaking their financial dominance. No one in Europe was complaining in the 90's when Italian clubs were mopping up all the talent and then the Spanish clubs in the 2000's.

I acknowledge that the current charges have been brought by the FA and not UEFA, but jealousy played a part in a large number of Premier League clubs complaining and pushing for an investigation.

17 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I really enjoyed watching the treble celebrations. 

Man City have always been the peoples club of Manchester who lived in their neighbours enormous shadow. Everyone knows that Mancs follow Man City and Man Utd fans live all over. 

Despite this Man City got huge crowds in the lower leagues. They've traditionally drew their support from the working class areas of the City.  

Proper proper club where you can feel the manc culture in the very fabric of the club. 

You'd struggle to find a more passionate and noisy set of fans in this country. Their song repertoire is incredible. 

Much has been said about the 'Emptyhad' which I always felt was undeserved. They sell out every week despite not capturing the tourist fans. That may change now. 

I've really enjoyed watching their players be absolutely wasted these last couple of days and that's exactly what I mean about the manc culture running through the fabric of the club. Work hard, play harder! 

Man City are very big on this history of their club too. Despite their incredible success they have not forgot about where they have come from and their history is very much a part of their present. Their fans still sing about Maine Road. 

I can't make this post without ignoring the 115 charges. Everyone seems to be using the charges as a stick to beat them but as I'm concerned, their long suffering fans absolutely deserve this success after all they've been through. 

Yes it's not exactly a fairytale but it's a dream every other club wishes they were living, hence the bitterness. 

The only reason rival fans call it the Emptyhad is jealousy, same with the 115 charges. They have nothing else to mock Man City with because they're so far ahead of the rest right now.

I like them, always have. Fans are proper and absolutely sound the ones i've ever come across, no arrogance at all unlike the glory supporters up and down the Country who support Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal. 

I don't necessarily agree with the massive amount of wealth being brought to the Premier League but i'd much rather a Man City or Newcastle getting a share of some success than the usual suspects.

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Whilst your argument is perfectly valid, let's not forget also that the rules that have allegedly been broken were introduced to preserve the so called elite teams of European  football status at the top of the tree. They don't want anyone else coming in and breaking their financial dominance. No one in Europe was complaining in the 90's when Italian clubs were mopping up all the talent and then the Spanish clubs in the 2000's.

I acknowledge that the current charges have been brought by the FA and not UEFA, but jealousy played a part in a large number of Premier League clubs complaining and pushing for an investigation.

No one complained either when Fergie broke the transfer record on numerous occasions. This is often left out of the Fergie Vs Pep debate. 

I mentioned earlier on in the thread that the elite and their fans absolutely detest it that a traditional working peoples club have taken over and shown them all up spectacularly. 

Other clubs recieved outside investment prior to FFP and now they are complaining about other clubs receiving it? 

I also don't remember Man City receiving the same positive attention as Newcastle have got this season when Man City first qualified for Champions league but that's because Man City aren't darlings of football like Newcastle are perceived to be.

29 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

The current charges were brought by the Premier League, not the FA. The FFP rules were introduced after City came into money, so City were very much part of that elite club already. They supported and signed up to the rules, and have potentially broken them on a large scale, so I'm afraid my sympathy for them is pretty limited. 

• Like 1

On 14/06/2023 at 00:13, W-S-M Seagull said:

A quick Internet search gave plenty of 290k a week as his wages. 

Also footballers in the UK are subject to the 45% higher tax. Where as in Italy top footballers are afforded tax breaks so with that considered his take home pay was probably similar. 

Cool, ok, thanks - so you’ve confirmed Pogba was never on £300k a week at Old Trafford, just like I said ... ??