IGNORED

Haydon Roberts Confirmed - Signed

westonred

19 minutes ago, Philly The Kid said:

For a club who have perennially under achieved given it's fan base, infrastructure and supposed ambition, It's somewhat bizarre that in recent seasons we've aspired to be 'Bang average' given our struggles. 
It's easy to see why some people adopt a cynical "believe it when I see it" attitude. It's difficult to remain optimistic when every new season promises so much and then disappoints. As @Davefevs says, It's the hope that kills you!!
FWIW, I think NP is doing a great job given the mess the club was in. It needed a root and branch review and it's been done and a coherent achievable plan has been put into action. Yes we'll have to be patient and sometimes that's difficult but for the first time in ages we seem to have a plan.
But yes, I think when you look at the big picture we've been average, mediocre, impressive and careless all in roughly equal measure. It's all part of the journey.

I think most of us were happy that despite our financial troubles, we have been able to quite comfortably maintain our Championship status whilst getting our finances back on track. So whilst our league position is bang average, considering the circumstances it's an achievement. 

For me we've had to take some steps back in order to move forward and I'm okay with that.

We've only recently got the infrastructure in place. Brighton had their infrastructure in place before they went up and they've not looked back since.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think most of us were happy that despite our financial troubles, we have been able to quite comfortably maintain our Championship status whilst getting our finances back on track. So whilst our league position is bang average, considering the circumstances it's an achievement. 

For me we've had to take some steps back in order to move forward and I'm okay with that.

We've only recently got the infrastructure in place. Brighton had their infrastructure in place before they went up and they've not looked back since.

Do largely agree with this.

Brighton comparison is interddting. They were turbocharged by infrastructure coinciding with promotion.

Their attendances e.g. shot up in the Championship by 2.5-3 which coincided with the move to Amex- major boost to both income, momentum and I guess profile too. For years sub 10k at Amex, suddenly over 20k weekly!

7,352 vs 20,038.

Turnover almost trebling overnight can't hurt either.

Screenshot_20230616-105931_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.52c5407f6aeddb3384446bced11423ba.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Paul Barber (Brighton) was asked on a very revealing BT sport interview whether he was talking to other clubs whose short period of PL success had ended in disappointment. The implication was that he could avoid the pitfalls by doing so. 
He said that clubs rarely talk to one another about strategy. He continued by saying that they just had to continue doing what they thought was right. Seems they’re on the right track. 
Sounded very switched on. I bet Spurs can’t believe they let him go. 

1 hour ago, stortfordred said:

Paul Barber (Brighton) was asked on a very revealing BT sport interview whether he was talking to other clubs whose short period of PL success had ended in disappointment. The implication was that he could avoid the pitfalls by doing so. 
He said that clubs rarely talk to one another about strategy. He continued by saying that they just had to continue doing what they thought was right. Seems they’re on the right track. 
Sounded very switched on. I bet Spurs can’t believe they let him go. 

I do know for a fact that we have a very close relationship with Brighton and we have shadowed them a lot. 

I think thus relationship was formed at the time we were going through planning for Ashton Vale and their chairman turned up to speak at the planning meeting. 

We send staff to Brighton to learn from them.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I’m sure many on here know, he was married to Lesley Crowther’s daughter - LC used to star in Crackerjack with Peter Glaze.

LC used to live in Corston, near Bath (not Wiltshire), and I had the pleasure of meeting them all one afternoon at the village fête.

He really was a very friendly and approachable young man, not at all like his stage image, as, indeed, was LC, but he (Phil L) was so obviously very high on something.

A very enjoyable afternoon, though.

I've done a fair bit of plumbing work at Crowthers house, always felt a bit strange repairing a toilet that Phil Lynott sat on or vomited down!!!

21 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yes- I do . How can average mean anything else? It's not bad - it's not good , it's mediocre and average.

Good point about "decent"- I have no idea what it means generally to others. Is a decent player a good player? etc.

If you follow my comments, Dave, you'll also see that I say this "bang average" is an improvement and also that Brian Tinnion and Nige's "hands are tied" in respect of transfers.

People in search of a populist post and in search of likes turn my opinion into something I never said just like @lenred

As you know over several seasons of chat between us- I say what I think not what I think people want to hear which ironically for me  is exactly what Nige does.

On the other hand, average and mediocre are value judgements that need tying to some sort of base. You would probably not be unhappy if we were an average PL side. And we are logically a well above average League side - 14th out of 72.

We are probably very well placed in respect of our own history in fact.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

On the other hand, average and mediocre are value judgements that need tying to some sort of base. You would probably not be unhappy if we were an average PL side. And we are logically a well above average League side - 14th out of 72.

We are probably very well placed in respect of our own history in fact.

Ridiculous comment 

If we were in the relegation zone in the PL - I'd be delighted for the simple reason that we were in the PL as we  never have and in absolute reality don't look like it's a serious possibility.

People quote figures to suit themselves or their narrative but we are 34th in 92 .

However we are 1st position in English football if you ignore the 33 clubs above us. Weird.... that makes me feel great just typing that.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Ridiculous comment 

If we were in the relegation zone in the PL - I'd be delighted for the simple reason that we were in the PL as we  never have and in absolute reality don't look like it's a serious possibility.

People quote figures to suit themselves or their narrative but we are 34th in 92 .

However we are 1st position in English football if you ignore the 33 clubs above us. Weird.... that makes me feel great just typing that.

No need to be a prat about it.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2023 at 21:00, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I’m sure many on here know, he was married to Lesley Crowther’s daughter - LC used to star in Crackerjack with Peter Glaze.

LC used to live in Corston, near Bath (not Wiltshire), and I had the pleasure of meeting them all one afternoon at the village fête.

He really was a very friendly and approachable young man, not at all like his stage image, as, indeed, was LC, but he (Phil L) was so obviously very high on something.

A very enjoyable afternoon, though.

Random but my mates first girlfriend was PL's daughter, my mate went to a boys school in Bath and she went to a Girls school in Bath,