IGNORED

Charlton v City 1957/58

ashton_fan

On 08/06/2023 at 04:57, Rudolf Hucker said:

I was at that match and on the same vast terrace, Nogs, which I contrived to stumble on and twist my ankle celebrating Sween’s late equaliser! We drove up in my old G-reg Ford Cortinal 1600 with a folding sunroof and which only started when it chose to. It was like driving (or not) a game of Russian Roulette.  I parked on an hill (always) outside a strip club near the ground. Funny the shit you remember!

I was behind the goal right in line with Gerry when he hit it! I once asked him if he handled it and he told me unequivocally no. But went on, the ball was a little under my feet (which it definitely was) so I couldn’t get much back lift. As some might remember Gerry didn’t need a lot of back lift to the point he would take free kicks and penoes without a run up, thus we were lucky it fell to him that night, starting our promotion run.

For the record Gerry Gow scored the other and if I remember correctly both of their goals were from crosses that sailed over Ray Cashleys head. 

• Robin 1