IGNORED

Charlton v City 1957/58

ashton_fan

Found this video on YouTube, a film of our 1957/58 away fixture at Charlton played in September 1957 in front of a crowd of 22,000. There is no commentary, City are in the white shirts and lost 1-0. John Atyeo is playing at no 9 and the right winger playing at 7 is Hinshelwood. Is there anybody on here that went to this game (just about possible)? The football looks completely different to now, even a lot different from matches in the 60's.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Found this video on YouTube, a film of our 1957/58 away fixture at Charlton played in September 1957 in front of a crowd of 22,000. There is no commentary, City are in the white shirts and lost 1-0. John Atyeo is playing at no 9 and the right winger playing at 7 is Hinshelwood. Is there anybody on here that went to this game (just about possible)? The football looks completely different to now, even a lot different from matches in the 60's.

Thanks, never seen this before, presumably old newsreel,  interesting that the perimeter wall around the pitch had not a single advertising hoarding anywhere.  

7 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Thanks for the video, very interesting.

Although probably just about on the way I wasn't yet born at the time of this video so wasn't there I'm afraid.

I did watch City there in 75-76 (2-2 draw) from that vast side terrace, easily the biggest terrace I've ever been on, and I've watched City from the old Kop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Although probably just about on the way I wasn't yet born at the time of this video so wasn't there I'm afraid.

I did watch City there in 75-76 (2-2 draw) from that vast side terrace, easily the biggest terrace I've ever been on, and I've watched City from the old Kop.

Was that the match where we were charged by a load of (supposedly) Millwall fans.

If it is the same match, I recall looking across at the other side of the pitch to see the unused terrace opposite completely covered in weeds.

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Was that the match where we were charged by a load of (supposedly) Millwall fans.

If it is the same match, I recall looking across at the other side of the pitch to see the unused terrace opposite completely covered in weeds.

Not getting mixed up with corinthian casuals game phil are you? 

12 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Some nice wing work from Hinshelwood there, I thought Atyeo was a bit slow to anticipate the crosses. :whistle:

He'll never amount to much, we'd be better giving him a 'free' in the summer and concentrate on bringing back Diony.

• Thanks 1

Not at the game but brings back memories of the players of the time.

I'm on holiday so cannot consult my City books for the actual side. But I'd guess that the match was near the end of Pat Beasley's time as manager. So maybe Cook or Anderson in goal, Jack Bailey and Mike Thresher at full back, Alan Williams centre half, Tommy Burden wing half and Bobby Etheridge in midfield. Upfront Atyeo and Dermot Curtis, who scored half of the six goals in a 5-1 World Cup qualifying England v Ireland at Wembley. And wingers Wally Hinshelwood and John Watkins.

So thank you @ashton_fan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was at that game too, Gerry Sweeney equalised I think in the last few minutes to get the valuable point in our promotion season.  Glad to have visited & seen those huge terraces but by then they were crumbling. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A night game?

Same game

As I said I was in that huge side terrace Phil. I went up on my own on the train wearing my school hav-a- sac with Bristol City F.C. plastered all over it! The intention was to stay overnight with my older brother who'd moved to London, but, not surprisingly, we hadn't managed to find each other on that massive terrace. The City fans were behind the goal to my left.

I did see some charging about at one stage with City fans chasing Charlton fans back in to the side stand opposite me.

Always assumed they were just Charlton yobs anyway - they seemed a surprisingly rough lot- but could have been Millwall I suppose.

I'm talking about an evening match in the promotion season.

17 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I was at that game too, Gerry Sweeney equalised I think in the last few minutes to get the valuable point in our promotion season.  Glad to have visited & seen those huge terraces but by then they were crumbling. 

Gow got the other one I think.

2 minutes ago, southside said:

A night game?

It was a Saturday afternoon match, 15H00 KO.

If I recall correctly, we caught what was then known as a ‘Football Special’ which stopped a very short distance from the ground - there were certainly a few hundred of us walking to the ground.

We were all in ‘high spirits’, singing and chanting etc., when suddenly we were charged by a mob of (allegedly) Millwall fans - why they might have been at a Charlton match (if, indeed, they were) I have no idea.

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As I said I was in that huge side terrace Phil. I went up on my own on the train wearing my school hav-a- sac with Bristol City F.C. plastered all over it! The intention was to stay overnight with my older brother who'd moved to London, but, not surprisingly, we hadn't managed to find each other on that massive terrace. The City fans were behind the goal to my left.

I did see some charging about at one stage with City fans chasing Charlton fans back in to the side stand opposite me.

Always assumed they were just Charlton yobs anyway - they seemed a surprisingly rough lot- but could have been Millwall I suppose.

Obviously, a different match.

As I posted earlier, the match to which I am referring was definitely 15H00 KO Saturday afternoon at The Valley.

It would have been mid/late 1970s.

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I didn't see any trouble in the ground but walking out - across some rough ground and onto the road I was behind 3 City fans ( not yobs) aged in their 30's and a young kiddy about 16 ran out out of the shadows and smashed a brick into the back of one of the guy's head and just ran off into the dark down a side street. One of the most senseless and cowardly acts I've seen in 50 years of attending matches.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Obviously, a different match.

As I posted earlier, the match to which I am referring was definitely 15H00 KO Saturday afternoon at The Valley.

It would have been mid/late 1970s.

That's a mystery then Phil.

When we played at Charlton in '76 it was our first visit to the Valley since October '71, when we lost 2-0.

After '76 we didn't go there again until March '91 when we lost 2-1.

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's a mystery then Phil.

When we played at Charlton in '76 it was our first visit to the Valley since October '71, when we lost 2-0.

After '76 we didn't go there again until March '91 when we lost 2-1.

I remember we lost, so it must have been the 1971 match.

This sort of makes sense, as I recall going up with an old school colleague, who was in a year above me and wouldn’t have been there in 1976.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I didn't see any trouble in the ground but walking out - across some rough ground and onto the road I was behind 3 City fans ( not yobs) aged in their 30's and a young kiddy about 16 ran out out of the shadows and smashed a brick into the back of one of the guy's head and just ran off into the dark down a side street. One of the most senseless and cowardly acts I've seen in 50 years of attending matches.

That's just horrible and incredibly cowardly as you say.

Much rougher fans than I'd expected, I was 17 and far from comfortable on my own hoping my City hav-a-sac - upside down by my feet - wouldn't draw any attention.

18 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was at that match and on the same vast terrace, Nogs, which I contrived to stumble on and twist my ankle celebrating Sween’s late equaliser! We drove up in my old G-reg Ford Cortinal 1600 with a folding sunroof and which only started when it chose to. It was like driving (or not) a game of Russian Roulette.  I parked on an hill (always) outside a strip club near the ground. Funny the shit you remember!

Edited by Rudolf Hucker
  • Like 1

On 07/06/2023 at 09:00, ashton_fan said:

Thanks for posting this. Great stuff.

14 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Not at the game but brings back memories of the players of the time.

I'm on holiday so cannot consult my City books for the actual side. But I'd guess that the match was near the end of Pat Beasley's time as manager. So maybe Cook or Anderson in goal, Jack Bailey and Mike Thresher at full back, Alan Williams centre half, Tommy Burden wing half and Bobby Etheridge in midfield. Upfront Atyeo and Dermot Curtis, who scored half of the six goals in a 5-1 World Cup qualifying England v Ireland at Wembley. And wingers Wally Hinshelwood and John Watkins.

So thank you @ashton_fan.

Yes, Beasley still manager when this game was played on 14 September 1957

City team was: 1. Anderson 2. Bailey 3. Thresher 4. Peacock 5. White 6. Williams A 7. Hinshelwood 8. Burden 9. Atyeo 10. Etheridge 11. Watkins 

Lost 1-0.

"City were robbed when the officials failed to spot that White's 20th minute 20-yarder bounces down a good foot over the line after hitting the bar".

A poor season for City, until the arrival of new manager Peter Doherty at the end of January 1958 (Munich Air Disaster was 6-2-58 for reference) and his immediate signing of Bert Tindill who scored 10 goals in the remaining 14 games of that season. 

City finished 17th, 5 points clear of relegation.

Charlton just missed promotion to the First Division - West Ham 57 points, Blackburn 56, Charlton 55, Liverpool 54. (2 points for a win, kids, only 2 up and no play-offs!!)

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

3 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I was at that match and on the same vast terrace, Nogs, which I contrived to stumble on and twist my ankle celebrating Sween’s late equaliser! We drove up in my old G-reg Ford Cortinal 1600 with a folding sunroof and which only started when it chose to. It was like driving (or not) a game of Russian Roulette.  I parked on an hill (always) outside a strip club near the ground. Funny the shit you remember!

It's not wholly surprising that, all these years later, you remember a strip club Ruud

• Haha 1

I remember watching Johnny Watkins play for Welton Rovers in the Western League in the 1970s, by that time he was in his forties. He didn't  do much running around but still had an amazing shot on him, used to score regularly from free kicks which were hit too hard for keepers at that level!