IGNORED

City in Europe

Topper 123

2 hours ago, Magger1 said:

I beg to differ if you knew your history the owners Earnie arathoon who was on city board and Stephen fionda the manager  and about half the lads that got in there were city , myself included and ran many a coach to away trips from there by the way the flag was mine :laugh:

I lived opposite the Felly for about a year when Ernie ran it and it was City. After the LDV semi we lost at the Mem in 2007, we walked back down Filton Ave and there was a ring of old bill around The Felly. Once they knew we were City they let us in. 

Imagine the embarrassment of having one of the closest pubs to your ground being home to your rivals, whilst you had to walk past and go to the shitty Bulldog ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I lived opposite the Felly for about a year when Ernie ran it and it was City. After the LDV semi we lost at the Mem in 2007, we walked back down Filton Ave and there was a ring of old bill around The Felly. Once they knew we were City they let us in. 

Imagine the embarrassment of having one of the closest pubs to your ground being home to your rivals, whilst you had to walk past and go to the shitty Bulldog ?

Topman 

• Robin 1

3 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

I wonder why there isn’t a European competition for 2nd tier teams.  Perhaps it’s considered not enough of a money maker although there’s loads of decent sized clubs at our level here and in Europe so I think it would be popular with fans.  

I think the Anglo Italian cup was stopped due to the carnage between fans in some of the other ties. 

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/10/25/remembering-the-violent-but-fascinating-anglo-italian-cup/

Can't remember if that's the article I read a few weeks ago when I was looking it up for some reason. 

Plenty of City in Southmead as far as I know too.

3 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

I wonder why there isn’t a European competition for 2nd tier teams.  Perhaps it’s considered not enough of a money maker although there’s loads of decent sized clubs at our level here and in Europe so I think it would be popular with fans.  

I think the Anglo Italian cup was stopped due to the carnage between fans in some of the other ties. 

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/10/25/remembering-the-violent-but-fascinating-anglo-italian-cup/

Can't remember if that's the article I read a few weeks ago when I was looking it up for some reason. 

Plenty of City in Southmead as far as I know too.

18 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Don’t forget lads Weston is coming up and this is where memories like these are made up COYR see you all on the beach ⛱

What people need to remember is the trip wasn’t easy we had coaches to Liverpool airport for the flight at silly o clock in morning to Latvia yes there was a few beers on board :laugh:

Memory is definitely fading but didn't city and rovers literally flip a 50p coin to see who would go through to this competition? 

I can also confirm that lockleaze at this time had plenty of City fans on rovers doorstep. It wasn't easy being a city fan as rovers seemed to have the edge over city during this era on the pitch. Lockleaze school certainly had it's fair share of City fans even back then !!

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

My cousin comes down occasionally from Manchester ( Utd fan for his sins ) always comes when city are at home so we can get a game in , so he knows all about us and the tinpot lot but the things that he can’t get his head round was City having a pub right by there ground in the middle of what is supposed to be there patch , ? again the gift that keeps giving 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rebounder said:

It was undoubtedly exciting to see City in Europe but like the JPT before the final the crowds for this competition were awful.

Our 2 home games against teams we had never heard of, like Cosenza only had about 4000 there & having missed Pisa, I went to Cremonese, which was played on a work day December afternoon in front of about 500.

There just wasn’t the interest, especially in Italy, to keep it going, whether there was any violence or not.

Second tier football (Germany aside) is really poorly supported in Europe, we are the only country that has a league where even the third tier can have a Derby or Portsmouth sized club, so no one else would be up for this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I went to Cremonese, which was played on a work day December afternoon in front of about 500.

You and me both, but as you say, the Anglo-Italian fizzled out due to lack of spectator interest. 

Anyway, we won the Anglo-Scottish Cup which is an (ahem) European trophy and one that West Ham never claimed. Although, to be fair, they never played in it. ?

EDIT: Just checked that assertion and they did play in the Texaco Cup, which was an Anglo-Scottish-Irish version of the same thing. 

• Confused 1