IGNORED

Scott Parker to...Leicester?

Mr Popodopolous

Some managers and or clubs seem to luck out don't they.

I don't especially rate Parker, do many people but he seems to get sides over the line albeit big budget and strongly fancied at the level.

You can also add Martin to Southampton, I don't think he has achieved any thing particularly amazing. Swansea actually seem to have a bit of a Midas touch when it comes to approaches for their managers and compensation.

I can understand Rodgers and Martinez, you can argue Cooper to some extent but Potter first year with Parachute Payments, some nice foorhall ane midtable. Martin similar, albeit no Parachute Payments but what exactly has he achieved there. No disaster but just...meh. I would argue Laudrup had he been approached when his stock was highish I would also have got.

It brings me onto my next point whixh is that I don't get half the managerial appointments these days top of Championship, bottom third PL. Why does NP get overlooked for such roles- and long may it continue as it means he is doing well here btw, he has a better pedigree than many who have been appointed in this bracket. Surely teams like Watford shouldn't have sacked.

Pearson or O'Neil at Bournemouth anyone? Albeit the latter did well in his own right.

Pearson v Martin, Pearson v Parker.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

37 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Well, he can probably just about manage the Champ, any higher and he's ****** ! What is it with these serial failures, they must have great agents .

He's got results up to a point. Albeit at Fulham he just about scraped them up with probably the highest wage bill that year. Bournemouth a bit lower but should have been easier than it was.

Martin and Parker, Pearson would be a lot more suited I suspect. Thankfully he's here but I don't see the appeal with a lot of appointments bottom third, top end of Championship last season and early this upcoming season.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some managers and or clubs seem to luck out don't they.

I don't especially rate Parker, do many people but he seems to get sides over the line albeit big budget and strongly fancied at the level.

You can also add Martin to Southampton, I don't think he has achieved any thing particularly amazing. Swansea actually seem to have a bit of a Midas touch when it comes to approaches for their managers and compensation.

I can understand Rodgers and Martinez, you can argue Cooper to some extent but Potter first year with Parachute Payments, some nice foorhall ane midtable. Martin similar, albeit no Parachute Payments but what exactly has he achieved there. No disaster but just...meh. I would argue Laudrup had he been approached when his stock was highish I would also have got.

It brings me onto my next point whixh is that I don't get half the managerial appointments these days top of Championship, bottom third PL. Why does NP get overlooked for such roles- and long may it continue as it means he is doing well here btw, he has a better pedigree than many who have been appointed in this bracket. Surely teams like Watford shouldn't have sacked.

Pearson or O'Neil at Bournemouth anyone? Albeit the latter did well in his own right.

Pearson v Martin, Pearson v Parker.

Are you ITK as there is nothing about Parker on their OS or BBC sport.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Are you ITK as there is nothing about Parker on their OS or BBC sport.

Seen a fair amount online, possibly I've jumped the gun.

Was more of a wider thread really, how do moderately talented managers and perhaps less than moderately talented keep getting bottom third PL, top third Championship jobs. However Parker seems to be a favourite for sure.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-parker-leicester-city-how-8519414

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ha seemingly not.

Enzo Maresca now the favourite. He could he the new Kompany and he would be leaving Man City so they may get a loanee or 2 on decent terms but you do wonder why managers like this get elevated. Parker I read on granted dunno the validity that he wanted certain assurances over budget etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/15/leicester-enzo-maresca-manager-manchester-city

• Thanks 1

The Martin one is slightly perplexing for Southampton. Might fit their "style" but hasn't seemed to do anything of note yet and jump ships a couple of years into each project, each time before anything has been achieved?

If they rebuild and get playoffs next year is he going to jump ship again?

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

The Martin one is slightly perplexing for Southampton. Might fit their "style" but hasn't seemed to do anything of note yet and jump ships a couple of years into each project, each time before anything has been achieved?

If they rebuild and get playoffs next year is he going to jump ship again?

Probably the Swansea effect. They had a reputation of managers leaving there or catching the eye there to good effect in the past. (Arguably Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup perhaps had he left at the right time).

However Potter based on his work at Swansea did little to justify his rise, Martin likewise. Cooper maybe maybe not.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Probably the Swansea effect. They had a reputation of managers leaving there or catching the eye there to good effect in the past. (Arguably Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup perhaps had he left at the right time).

However Potter based on his work at Swansea did little to justify his rise, Martin likewise. Cooper maybe maybe not.

In fairness to Potter, what he did in Sweden was nothing short of incredible. You could see Swansea were a team on the up with Potter too and were early on in a project. I don't see the same pedigree with Martin...

11 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

In fairness to Potter, what he did in Sweden was nothing short of incredible. You could see Swansea were a team on the up with Potter too and were early on in a project. I don't see the same pedigree with Martin...

Took a side with significant resources (by Championship standards) with Year 1 of Parachute Payments to midtable. Nice football though.

Clearly in Sweden he had taken that side up the standings, done it the hard way and he made solid year on year progress at Brighton but his rise to a PL club entering 3rd year was a bit of a lucky dip tbh.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Took a side with significant resources (by Championship standards) with Year 1 of Parachute Payments to midtable. Nice football though.

Clearly in Sweden he had taken that side up the standings, done it the hard way and he made solid year on year progress at Brighton but his rise to a PL club entering 3rd year was a bit of a lucky dip tbh.

Methinks Brighton had identified him before going to Swansea, and seeing his style at Swansea confirmed it.

I can't remember what the actual squad situation was at Swansea when he left. I do seem to remember a lot of overpaid and not all that good players... If I'm correct they had Wilfried Bony on the books and he didn't even play once for them in the Championship?

23 hours ago, chinapig said:

Parker is reportedly on the shortlist for the Leeds job along with Farke and Corberan.

Corberan seems like the best option from those three and Parker the worst.

Parker's agent really working for that paycheck, how he keeps being linked with these jobs is beyond me. As if the disaster at Club Brugge wasn't enough.

Farke is fine but if I'm Leeds and Corberan is possible, I'm doing everything to get him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In fairness to Cooper, he made that rise happen. He left Swansea as he wasn't getting the support and Forest were near the bottom of the league when he took over. The reason he's now managing at a higher level is because he got Forest there. 

12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

In fairness to Cooper, he made that rise happen. He left Swansea as he wasn't getting the support and Forest were near the bottom of the league when he took over. The reason he's now managing at a higher level is because he got Forest there. 

I'm thinking more, his record at Swansea. Nottingham Forest had a wage bill and spent some, promotion bonuses pushed it up by £20m more. On the fence about Cooper.

Definitely more worthy to be poached than Potter or Martin however. Well I say poached, he had resigned but sure Swansea still got some compensation out of it 

Forest were bottom with 1 point from 7 games iirc. This was their wage bill however albeit I believe it included £20m in promotion bonuses.

Underlying wage bill of about £37.7m.

Screenshot_20230616-132413_OneDrive.jpg

Probably better off without Parker tbh but the system of football management appointment seems to be getting more and more random.

Prior achievements, track record don't seem to get the recognition- the very top aside.

It's an increasingly random and strange thing, football management criteria and appointments.

Expect Leicester finances permitting to he able to tap Man City and perhaps Brighton for decent loan opportunities, read that Maresca is friends with De Zerbi.