IGNORED

What position would you look at next?

RedRoss

What position next to invest in?   

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We haven't had a poll on here for a while but I'm interested in what position fans would go for next assuming HR has signed and AS stays or gets replaced.

I've seen alot of posters wanting Kalas to sign and although he won't cost a fee, his wages will. I understand this as Kalas is arguably the best on his day however I think we're more than covered in that area.

If we only had one more signing I would go for a box to box CM with some offensive output. Someone who can receive the ball and burst forward with the ball and create something.

What position would you go for?

Edited by RedRoss

If Kalas isnt re-signing, we are absolutely going to need another centre-half. Vyner, Dickie and a badly injured Atkinson aren't sufficient, and I know people will say Naismith, McCrorie and Roberts can all step in but Naismith should be competing for a DM spot, Roberts for LB and we don't know where Nige sees McCrorie. 

An LCB next for me.

1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

If Kalas isnt re-signing, we are absolutely going to need another centre-half. Vyner, Dickie and a badly injured Atkinson aren't sufficient, and I know people will say Naismith, McCrorie and Roberts can all step in but Naismith should be competing for a DM spot, Roberts for LB and we don't know where Nige sees McCrorie. 

An LCB next for me.

Just playing Devil’s advocate - just because Naismith might be competing for a place in midfield doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be considered as a centre-back.  He’s more than good enough to play there.  We now appear to have four fit (Vyner, Dickie, McCrorie and Naismith) with one impending signing (Roberts).  You could argue Pring makes a 6th, but I’d rather we didn’t go to that length.

What we have is flexibility….that hopefully stops us having to sign extra players.

Thats how I see it anyway.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just playing Devil’s advocate - just because Naismith might be competing for a place in midfield doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be considered as a centre-back.  He’s more than good enough to play there.  We now appear to have four fit (Vyner, Dickie, McCrorie and Naismith) with one impending signing (Roberts).  You could argue Pring makes a 6th, but I’d rather we didn’t go to that length.

What we have is flexibility….that hopefully stops us having to sign extra players.

Thats how I see it anyway.

I do see your point and having flexible players can certainly be useful. With Naismith, I've liked what I've seen of him far more in midfield, for me personally that's where we should be using him. From what I've read on McCrorie, he's versatile but his weakest position is central defense (granted that's from Aberdeen supporters, perhaps some bitterness). CB is such a crucial position to a team and a season, I'd like to see enough devoted CB's that it's rare we need to be moving players into the role from dm, full back. But that's just me (and I hope Nige) :D 

3 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Naismith has played 3 league games at Central midfield in his career. 

He's a centre half. 

Injured as soon as he moved into the role, he looked excellent there. I rate him a lot but he cost us a glut of points when he was in the back-line with errors. His incisive passing and ability to spring counter attacks should be the attributes we utilise most, imo from dm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I do see your point and having flexible players can certainly be useful. With Naismith, I've liked what I've seen of him far more in midfield, for me personally that's where we should be using him. From what I've read on McCrorie, he's versatile but his weakest position is central defense (granted that's from Aberdeen supporters, perhaps some bitterness). CB is such a crucial position to a team and a season, I'd like to see enough devoted CB's that it's rare we need to be moving players into the role from dm, full back. But that's just me (and I hope Nige) :D 

A number of other Aberdeen fans, say it’s (CB) his best position.

I agree about settled pairings though.

I’d quite happily see a back 4 of:

McCrorie Dickie Naismith Pring if it were deemed to be the best for the way we want to play.  I think Naismith’s passing is a benefit in either position, CB or DM.  The ability to break the opposition forward’s press if he plays CM is as advantageous as breaking a midfield block when he plays in midfield.

My motto: get our best players on the pitch.

Not necessarily in any positions, even I don’t subscribe to square regs / round holes, but when you have truly versatile players I don’t think that applies.  Naismith appears to be truly versatile, hell, he started as a winger!  So does McCrorie.  I think less “Jack of all trades”, more bloody decent in more than one position!

(Percy - he’s played a few more times in “midfield”)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

No, he didn't. And even if he did, which he didn't, He gained us more than he cost us from the position he was signed to play and was player of the year playing in a play off team the season before.

Naismith is at his best when he has an extra second to pick his pass and movement in front of him. The further forward he plays the less time he has on the ball. 

The other aspect of Kal that is strangely ignored is that his leadership of the back line is exemplary. He's not a ball winning centre half but we win more balls with him as part of the back line because of his leadership, positioning and management of the defenders either side of him. 

The deeper of a 3 man midfield is also Matty James' best position and both players should be in the team when fit, for me. 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A number of other Aberdeen fans, say it’s (CB) his best position.

I agree about settled pairings though.

I’d quite happily see a back 4 of:

McCrorie Dickie Naismith Pring if it were deemed to be the best for the way we want to play.  I think Naismith’s passing is a benefit in either position, CB or DM.  The ability to break the opposition forward’s press if he plays CM is as advantageous as breaking a midfield block when he plays in midfield.

My motto: get our best players on the pitch.

Not necessarily in any positions, even I don’t subscribe to square regs / round holes, but when you have truly versatile players I don’t think that applies.  Naismith appears to be truly versatile, hell, he started as a winger!  So does McCrorie.  I think less “Jack of all trades”, more bloody decent in more than one position!

(Percy - he’s played a few more times in “midfield”)

Fair farts chaps. I’m sure we all agree that we don’t want to be having to improvise at the back again ie King or signing free-agents mid season, and I do hope you’re both right and we see a settled and functional back line with able cover throughout the season. I’ll reiterate, I REALLY like Naismith, and I hope he proves to be as beneficial to the team as he has shown he can be next season. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

The CAM doesn't count! ?

Screenshot_20230613_172615_Chrome.thumb.jpg.568ae8e351324f981fa3741a5de7c109.jpg

11 out of 409 games...

More than 3 ?

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Fair farts chaps. I’m sure we all agree that we don’t want to be having to improvise at the back again ie King or signing free-agents mid season, and I do hope you’re both right and we see a settled and functional back line with able cover throughout the season. I’ll reiterate, I REALLY like Naismith, and I hope he proves to be as beneficial to the team as he has shown he can be next season. 

Yep

It's not an urgent priority but I went for keeper.

O'Leary no problems but supposing he gets injured, or sent off or something or has to take some time off for personal problems- Bajic and Wiles-Richards next in line- relative age and lack if gametime in the Championship especially. Hmm.

Keepers pushing each other, that competition will also keep O'Leary on his toes.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

O'Leary no problems but supposing he gets injured, or sent off or something or has to take some time off for personal problems- Bajic and Wiles-Richards next in line- relative age and lack if gametime in the Championship especially. Hmm.

Keepers pushing each other, that competition will also keep O'Leary on his toes.

To be fair that's a good point. I'm not completely sure if we can rely on Bajic or HWR solely down to having not watched much of Bajic and reportedly he's not done the best on loan, and only watching fleeting matches of Harvey in youth games.  Not saying their not good enough I just really don't know.

I've only asked for one player to be picked but if I could choose another I'd probably sign a goalkeeper next having thought about it.

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think that's a good shout actually and not what immediately came to my mind.

Keeper might be the only position we now don't have real competition for (as far as we know, based on what we know of the options so far). And although I like Max and he's done much better than I thought he would, I'm still not convinced long term.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

He's been the player whose presence in the team has yielded most points. (Spudski's post a month or so ago).

He's played 3 league games not at central defence for us this season, yet our good runs of form have all coincided with his availability. 

We played the best football I've seen us play with him in the middle of our back 3. It was brave, intelligent possession football that built from the back. Granted, for many that's ghastly. We are a fanbase who seems to like it hoofed away from the backline at the earliest opportunity and the groaning every time he took a risk probably made it "feel" like we weren't doing well. But even with the occasional result or mistake going against us, the full picture of the performances over the majority of the game were and have been good. Better than good a lot of the time. Depends on whether it's the result that influences a view of a performance or the actual performance. 

I get all that. Agree with most of it.

But him being in the team during our most productive spells of form ain't necessarily down to him alone. So that sounds like a great example of making stats say anything you want them to.

I was thinking more simplistically - how many assists did he have last season .v. how many fuckups, starting with the first game of the season.  

• Like 1

Creativity and more legs in midfield for me - options from James, Williams, Naismith, McCrorie, King, OTC are fine but think we need something a little more in terms of creating chances - especially if Scott does go and Benarous doesn't make the step-up when he returns from injury.

And a back-up keeper for Max to compete with.

I'd be happy with the summer if it ended at that after these first three signings and the two I'd hope to see.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

53 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I was thinking more simplistically - how many assists did he have last season .v. how many fuckups, starting with the first game of the season.  

Well then thinking too simplistically is clearly your problem.

Comparing assists for a defender vs mistakes that lead to a goal is like comparing goal saving tackles vs missed chances for a striker - it makes no sense. Strikers will miss more good chances than they'll save goals - but that's inevitable. It's also pretty inevitable that defenders will likely make more dangerous mistakes than get direct assists.

Assists is a really narrow metric as well. Naismith is unlikely to play the single ball to result in a goal, but his progressive passing got us up the pitch and in threatening positions (which would then lead to a goal) countless times.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I went CM but the more i think about it the more I’m in agreement with others in that we are very light in the GK department.

Max has done fine and is improving but it only takes an injury to him and we would be left in a difficult situation.