IGNORED

What position would you look at next?

RedRoss

What position next to invest in?   

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Well then thinking too simplistically is clearly your problem.

Comparing assists for a defender vs mistakes that lead to a goal is like comparing goal saving tackles vs missed chances for a striker - it makes no sense. Strikers will miss more good chances than they'll save goals - but that's inevitable. It's also pretty inevitable that defenders will likely make more dangerous mistakes than get direct assists.

Assists is a really narrow metric as well. Naismith is unlikely to play the single ball to result in a goal, but his progressive passing got us up the pitch and in threatening positions (which would then lead to a goal) countless times.

You're right, i do have a problem. With Naismith at centre half. But I can see the potential in his passing ability from midfield. 

6 hours ago, RedRoss said:

We haven't had a poll on here for a while but I'm interested in what position fans would go for next assuming HR has signed and AS stays or gets replaced.

I've seen alot of posters wanting Kalas to sign and although he won't cost a fee, his wages will. I understand this as Kalas is arguably the best on his day however I think we're more than covered in that area.

If we only had one more signing I would go for a box to box CM with some offensive output. Someone who can receive the ball and burst forward with the ball and create something.

What position would you go for?

soixante-neuf

58 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

Can anyone think of another player that over a ~300 game career would have their top two positions closely matched between centre back and winger

Keith Curle! ?

When Naismith was first playing CB at Wigan…it brought back memories of Keith Curle.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You're right, i do have a problem. With Naismith at centre half. But I can see the potential in his passing ability from midfield. 

My opinion fwiw, with recent arrivals, also young Roberts looking very likely to bolster defensive positions, it'd be very unlikely that we'd need to play Naismith at the back - let alone with the still alive(ish) possibility of Tomas staying..........

Will be great having the freedom to keep Kal further up the pitch.

14 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

He's been the player whose presence in the team has yielded most points. (Spudski's post a month or so ago).

He's played 3 league games not at central defence for us this season, yet our good runs of form have all coincided with his availability. 

We played the best football I've seen us play with him in the middle of our back 3. It was brave, intelligent possession football that built from the back. Granted, for many that's ghastly. We are a fanbase who seems to like it hoofed away from the backline at the earliest opportunity and the groaning every time he took a risk probably made it "feel" like we weren't doing well. But even with the occasional result or mistake going against us, the full picture of the performances over the majority of the game were and have been good. Better than good a lot of the time. Depends on whether it's the result that influences a view of a performance or the actual performance. 

I don’t think it’s fair to characterise us as a fan base that likes to see the ball hoofed out of defence tbh. Playing from the back shouldn’t mean taking risks, and it’s fair enough to groan when a cross field pass risks a quick breakthrough on goal. The best teams playing out have fantastic movement off the ball that creates angles so that safe passes are nearly always on. I think Man City are great at that; they almost always seem to have a man in space that can safely receive a short pass. It can look a bit dull because it’s so efficient. Trying it when there is no available receiver is what creates risks.

Has to be CM surely. The defence is looking strong (unless someone leaves), hopefully enabling Naismith to advance into DM. 

We are fine up front, maybe a target man if we are flush.

I don't actually think the CM options are that bad right now, but with fitness questions over some and Scott surely likely to go, that's where I would be focusing.

Edit: And another keeper if Bajic isn't up to it.

Edited by Superjack

Midfield for me, for the same reasons that others have said. With Scott’s future uncertain, King getting older and both James and Williams seemingly prone to injuries, we need more options. 

GK as well. I’m happy with Max as number 1, but he needs competition.

• Like 2

On 13/06/2023 at 21:36, Merrick's Marvels said:

I get all that. Agree with most of it.

But him being in the team during our most productive spells of form ain't necessarily down to him alone. So that sounds like a great example of making stats say anything you want them to.

I was thinking more simplistically - how many assists did he have last season .v. how many fuckups, starting with the first game of the season.  

Well said. All players make quite simple mistakes but IMO, the timing of the two or three "Naismith Clangers" that gifted goals in early season, ensured that we would be stuck in the bottom half of the table all season.

First home game after the intensity of the pre-season work, with a squad of players who in the main had struggled to achieve in the previous two seasons. Fragile confidence with many in the squad and instead of a real confidence boosting home win, most fans and more importantly, the squad, went home absolutely gutted. It takes players a while to get over that.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Well said. All players make quite simple mistakes but IMO, the timing of the two or three "Naismith Clangers" that gifted goals in early season, ensured that we would be stuck in the bottom half of the table all season.

First home game after the intensity of the pre-season work, with a squad of players who in the main had struggled to achieve in the previous two seasons. Fragile confidence with many in the squad and instead of a real confidence boosting home win, most fans and more importantly, the squad, went home absolutely gutted. It takes players a while to get over that.

Pretty sure we were actually 3rd (certainly top 6)at one point early season, we’d gone P8 W4 D2 L2 PTS14…with Preston (h) coming up.  Then the bloody Queen died, and we then went to Burnley and Norwich back to back inside 3/4 days and gave them good games.  Yep Naismith made mistakes against Norwich (the second one you could argue was a long way from goal).  We were still 9th after those defeats as the international break  started. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

If you listen to Rob Atkinson you may recall he said the thing he learned from Naismith was to not dwell on errors, they happen to everyone, and you just have to instantly forget them and move on.  I’d suggest Rob was a “dweller”, but has improved that.

In that early season period, we played some great attacking football, and Naismith was a fundamental part of that.

(I’m not arguing he didn’t make mistakes, but there’s a bigger picture at play here)

• Like 1