IGNORED

Mad scores on a Dictaphone?

maxjak

Prompted by the Likely Lads post............I was Listening to the Football weekly podcast, when they referenced a caller to the Danny Baker show who told his tale from some years ago, before social media and mobile phones.  Apparently every home game, in the days when people would take transistor radios with them to check up on the scores of matches....this guy, every home match, would compile a list of imaginary scores, ie Liverpool 2 Notts Forest 3 etc,  on a Dictaphone, in a believable BBC voice.   When the hoards were leaving at the end of the game..............he would switch on his recording as loud as possible, so all and sundry, as they were exiting would overhear all these fabricated scores of Saturday matches   (In the days of every game being played at 3'0 clock).......so they thought the scores were genuine........until they got home, and found that Chelsea 1  Leeds 3 was really Chelsea 2 Leeds 1?   I Just thought it was a bizarre ongoing prank, that seemed to amuse this individual....each to their own i guess?  I suppose this was when Morecambe and Wise was regarded as the top comedy show on a Saturday night....a.different world?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Prompted by the Likely Lads post............I was Listening to the Football weekly podcast, when they referenced a caller to the Danny Baker show who told his tale from some years ago, before social media and mobile phones.  Apparently every home game, in the days when people would take transistor radios with them to check up on the scores of matches....this guy, every home match, would compile a list of imaginary scores, ie Liverpool 2 Notts Forest 3 etc,  on a Dictaphone, in a believable BBC voice.   When the hoards were leaving at the end of the game..............he would switch on his recording as loud as possible, so all and sundry, as they were exiting would overhear all these fabricated scores of Saturday matches   (In the days of every game being played at 3'0 clock).......so they thought the scores were genuine........until they got home, and found that Chelsea 1  Leeds 3 was really Chelsea 2 Leeds 1?   I Just thought it was a bizarre ongoing prank, that seemed to amuse this individual....each to their own i guess?  I suppose this was when Morecambe and Wise was regarded as the top comedy show on a Saturday night....a.different world?

Morecambe and Wise were a top comedy show. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Another one Danny referenced regularly was a couple of lads who hade somehow obtained two Royal Antwerp club ties and blazers and used them to blag their way into numerous boardrooms for the freebies by pretending they were scouts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Can remember when a guy made a video recording of the lottery draw. Next week he purchased a ticket with the same numbers. That Saturday he gathered the family around the tv and unbeknowing to then played the video. Pandemonium broke out when they "won" the lottery. Never heard how it all ended though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

That would be the Morecambe and, Wise who regularly attracted tv audiences of over 20 million, which is even more than are locked out at the Mem on a Saturday 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Can remember when a guy made a video recording of the lottery draw. Next week he purchased a ticket with the same numbers. That Saturday he gathered the family around the tv and unbeknowing to then played the video. Pandemonium broke out when they "won" the lottery. Never heard how it all ended though. 

I remember a variant of that story, where a wife and kids played a similar trick on the husband / dad, whilst at a family party.  Upon thinking he’d won, he grabbed the mic off the DJ, told everyone he was having an affair, was leaving the side for her immediately.

That one didn’t end well.

Suspect it’s not true though.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Morecambe and Wise were a top comedy show. 

I love M & W...my point is, that  just as humour is different now......but.not necessarily better  ( I give u   Michael Macintyre) ....pranks that worked then, wouldn't work now.  A clumsy analogy possibly?        

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I love M & W...my point is, that  just as humour is different now......but.not necessarily better  ( I give u   Michael Macintyre) ....pranks that worked then, wouldn't work now.  A clumsy analogy possibly?        

An interesting choice to compare.

I have seen Michael Macintyre several times as a presenter - I forget the name of his show - and I thought he was abysmal, embarrassingly cringeworthy.

I have also seen him as a stand up comedian, and I found him very funny.

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have seen Michael Macintyre several times as a presenter - I forget the name of his show - and I thought he was abysmal, embarrassingly cringeworthy.

I guess Regards humour, it's each to their own..............I love Bill Bailey and Rich Hall but Macintyre and Howard leave me cold

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I guess Regards humour, it's each to their own..............I love Bill Bailey and Rich Hall but Macintyre and Howard leave me cold

I love Rich Hall on TV - thought he was awful when I saw him live

I used to hate Lee Evans on TV - thought he was amazing live

I fell asleep watching Billy Connolly, not quite sure what to make of that one!

My favourite Danny Baker show caller was the scottish guy with the 6ft home made bow tie

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I love Rich Hall on TV - thought he was awful when I saw him live

I used to hate Lee Evans on TV - thought he was amazing live

I fell asleep watching Billy Connolly, not quite sure what to make of that one!

My favourite Danny Baker show caller was the scottish guy with the 6ft home made bow tie

Chubby Brown - not funny on stage

Chubby Brown - not funny in hotel bar afterwards either

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

They are both sometimes controversial, often in bad taste, outrageous even, but, as stand up comedians, I do like Ricky Gervais and Jimmy Carr.

Carr is OK, Gervais like Russell Brand should have been drowned at birth. 

In all seriousness comedy, like any art form, is a matter of individual taste. Personally I love observational comedy, one line gags and british seaside postcard humour but cannot abide practical jokes, cringe comedy that seeks to embarrass people and drag acts (except in shakespeare and pantomime) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

18 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

“Can I use your dictaphone?”

”No, use your finger like everyone else”

I have been waiting for someone to refer to that joke..........but i was hoping that no one would be that sad or obvious?   Ha!!   ( Just Kiddin.....or am I?) 

On 14/06/2023 at 20:54, PHILINFRANCE said:

Macintyre is definitely better as a stand up than a game show host.

I never thought I would post the above sentence on OTIB. 

• Haha 1