IGNORED

Fair play to Graeme Souness doing this at 70

Lanterne Rouge

Gotta be honest I've never really liked him. Remember him as a proper nasty, sneaky bastard as a player (a shame as he was a big talent), yet watching this stuff it is difficult not to be affected by how he obviously genuinely cares for Isla and her condition.

An unbelievable feat for a man his age who's previously had his own serious health issues. Fair play to him...

• Like 6

It goes to show that even the hardest of footballers have compassion side and are not ashamed to show it. I saw Souness on BBC recently becoming emotional when describing Isla and the horrible condition that she suffers from. It obviously effected him very deeply and that has led to him fund raising by swimming the English Channel

That in itself is a huge undertaking even more so for a man of 70 who has had his own health issues in recent years.

Well done GS - let’s hope that a successful treatment for this dreadful condition is found sooner than later,

• Like 1

Usually in relays of the Channel, each person in the team swims an hour in ordered rotation and teams are usually between 4 and 6 people. On that basis someone might swim as many as 4 one hour stints or as few as 2. That said in water at current sea temperatures, especially if it’s without a wetsuit (which it’s supposed to be) then it’s still extremely tough. I know a few people who have done it in relay teams and it’s still a significant achievement, so fair play to Souness.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, 2015 said:

That is an incredible feat for a 70 year old man. Hazard a guess 80% of 20 year olds could not complete that.

I'd just catch the ferry.  Fair play to him.

Edited by BigTone