IGNORED

Carabao Cup Draw: Home to Oxford

Tomo

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out if interest, why so sure?

I’ve known it happen before, don’t want to give opposition a first hand experience at what you’re preparing before you play them, but I get a feeling from Nige he’s not as bothered by that as some other head coaches would be, we picked them to help our league preparations I can’t see one game of cup football changing that 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out if interest, why so sure?

Previous experience, I cannot recall a time when we have drawn a team in a cup competition and not then cancelled our pre season fixture against them. I would be amazed if this fixture is not changed in the next few days.

27 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Previous experience, I cannot recall a time when we have drawn a team in a cup competition and not then cancelled our pre season fixture against them. I would be amazed if this fixture is not changed in the next few days.

That’s fair….I’m normally good on the memory stuff, I can’t ever recall it happening.  But happy to blame my brain cells. ??

5 hours ago, Bristolcityyatton said:

OS has been updated with the fixture list and doesn't have the Oxford friendly...

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fixtures-results/mens-first-team/202324-fixtures/

I thought so, this has happened to us before for certain and we've cancelled. How about Inter Milan at Ashton as part of the £50m deal for them to have Alex Scott ?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Who remembers the old manor ground with the terraced away end/side?

Seem to remember Stein and Foster as two of their players....

Great team when they won the Milk Cup, albeit any team with Aldridge up front would struggle to be bad. Ray Houghton, Malcolm Shotton, Trevor Hebberd et al. The stars aligned for them and they won an important trophy, fair play. 

• Like 1

Can remember going to the old Oxford ground many years ago and fog descending. I swear you could not see past the penalty area we did not know we had scored at the other end until a city player ran down our end celebrating, we all then went mad a minute after the goal had actually been scored, a bit like VAR :laugh:. 

Went to Oxford in '76, spur of the moment decision that morning as my slightly older brother had recently passed his motorbike test. He wasn't a big City fan but I was and he was easily persuaded it was a good idea to give his bike a run out on the motorway.

Don't think my Mum was too enamoured with the idea but off we went on a cold January morning, me clinging on on the back. The conditions by the time we reached the motorway were dreadful and it absolutely p*ssed down with sleet, not so good when it was his first time on a motorway.

Still, we arrived there in one piece, soaked to the skin, to witness a 1-1 draw, City went 1 up iircc, then Peter Houseman got a fairly late equaliser.

Houseman took a lot of stick as he scored right in front of us, about a year later he was killed in a car crash of course.

The familiar chant went up as we approached the exits, 'Aggro time La La La!', which was par for the course at most away matches in those days.

Talking of Oxford, also remember their goalkeeper, Roy Burton, getting about as much stick from the East End as I can ever remember any opposition player getting, constant for the 45 minutes he was down our end.

He was more than a bit bandy if I recall, and there was no mercy from the EE in those days.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Went to Oxford in '76, spur of the moment decision that morning as my slightly older brother had recently passed his motorbike test. He wasn't a big City fan but I was and he was easily persuaded it was a good idea to give his bike a run out on the motorway.

Don't think my Mum was too enamoured with the idea but off we went on a cold January morning, me clinging on on the back. The conditions by the time we reached the motorway were dreadful and it absolutely p*ssed down with sleet, not so good when it was his first time on a motorway.

Still, we arrived there in one piece, soaked to the skin, to witness a 1-1 draw, City went 1 up iircc, then Peter Houseman got a fairly late equaliser.

Houseman took a lot of stick as he scored right in front of us, about a year later he was killed in a car crash of course.

The familiar chant went up as we approached the exits, 'Aggro time La La La!', which was par for the course at most away matches in those days.

Talking of Oxford, also remember their goalkeeper, Roy Burton, getting about as much stick from the East End as I can ever remember any opposition player getting, constant for the 45 minutes he was down our end.

He was more than a bit bandy if I recall, and there was no mercy from the EE in those days.

I was at that one. My old man didn’t like his uncle much who lived in Oxford and he dropped heavy hints he wanted to go when we dropped ma off. Not a chance in hell. :laugh:! 

I lived in Headington for a while subsequently (Hence REDOXO) so know the Manor Well. 

the two games that stand out were the effing fog game. Also one where I gave Wayne abuse up until he scored and a whole section of people were falling about as I lead an Ohhh Wayney Wayney!

Edited by REDOXO