IGNORED

Old School football on TV

1960maaan

Just watched a Big Match revisited, the episode was from 77 and the main match was Spurs Vs Brighton. The game was a pretty non eventful 0-0 draw, but for one thing that happened .
Keith Burtenshaw , the Manager of Spurs , wanted to make a Substitution . Now he was in the stand, he said the phone wasn't great and they couldn't hear him on the bench so he sent a 'runner'. Off he trots with instructions to swap Ian Moores for Colin Lee (former player and hero of this Parish, look it up if you don't know). The thing is, between the message and the 'Old School' numbers from the bag, they managed to bring off John Duncan . In the after match interview Burtenshaw says he would never Sub Duncan , as he was always good for a goal. 
One time having the Manager in the Stand really didn't work.

One other little thing, Clive Thomas was Ref. Now I liked him, a real character and a stickler for rules. So there's a challenge in Spurs right back area and when the throw was given to Brighton the Spurs player threw the ball into touch. Thomas goes to hurry the Brighton player, who obviously says "he threw it " . Clive in his element makes the Spurs player fetch the ball and give it to the Brighton player to take the throw, then seconds later blows up. 
Might only have been one goal in the games, but it's a great program.

• Like 1

I went to that Spurs v Brighton match and to say it was dull would be an understatement.

However it was the first match after that infamous BBC Panorama on Millwall hooligans.

All I can recall and I have no idea why nearly 50 years later is the crowd chanting "you can stick your effing F Troop up your ar*se"

2 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I went to that Spurs v Brighton match and to say it was dull would be an understatement.

However it was the first match after that infamous BBC Panorama on Millwall hooligans.

All I can recall and I have no idea why nearly 50 years later is the crowd chanting "you can stick your effing F Troop up your ar*se"

Wasn’t F Troop the name of the Millwall thugs at the time? Similar to City's CSF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Yes hence the reason for the chant, I had no idea why after 50 years I should recall such an insignificant moment when I can barely remember what I had for last night's dinner.

Ahhhh, I misunderstood what you said, thought you were saying no idea why they were chanting it. Apologies

• Like 1