IGNORED

3 Peaps "Top 5" pods

SecretSam

19 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Really enjoying these, but your striker selections...?...Lee "why take one touch when you can take 20?" Trundle, Wayne "Barn door missed" Allison?

Mine?

1. God

2. Cole

3. Tammy

4. Goat

5. Ago

I missed out Jackie, because he was fun, but...

Cheers - great thing is everyone picks differently… really looking forward to Magic Moments next week!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tony ‘tap in’ Thorpe rarely gets a mention but he scored 51 goals for City at 2.5 average which is pretty damn good.

He did very else than being in the right place at the right time. He was a natural goalscorer. 

In the 3rd tier

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, 3 Peaps In A PodCast said:

Cheers - great thing is everyone picks differently… really looking forward to Magic Moments next week!

Stevie Nev's goal in the last minute of extra time to send us to Wembley. The money from that Wembley game probably built the foundations of where we are now.

I celebrated so hard, I lost my keys...?

Edited by SecretSam

15 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

So by your metric, Atyeo was rubbish?

No, difference is Atyeo played 6 games for England and was being touted for transfers to Juventus, AC Milan and Liverpool. 

It was a totally different Sport in the 1950s and 60s. Players were loyal to their clubs, Atyeo was far too good for that level. Thorpe wasn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

No, difference is Atyeo played 6 games for England and was being touted for transfers to Juventus, AC Milan and Liverpool. 

It was a totally different Sport in the 1950s and 60s. Players were loyal to their clubs, Atyeo was far too good for that level. Thorpe wasn't.

Plus Atyeo scored a fair proportion of his goals in the 2nd tier.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just as Bob Taylor was………..:cool2:

Nope, you’re wrong again.

Bob scored second tier goals for us & for West Brom, even got a few in the Prem for Bolton.

Thorpe scored 2 goals above the third tier in his entire career, bloke was a flat track bully, got hat tricks against shite like Colchester, Cambridge & Stockport.

Facts, eh?

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Bob scored second tier goals for us & for West Brom, even got a few in the Prem for Bolton.

Thorpe scored 2 goals above the third tier in his entire career, bloke was a flat track bully, got hat tricks against shite like Colchester, Cambridge & Stockport.

Facts, eh?

Out of interest do you know how many games Thorpe did play in the 2nd tier?

10 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Out of interest do you know how many games Thorpe did play in the 2nd tier?

Just in the 98/99 Lennartsson season we got relegated, so a total of 16 games.

Next question is why was that, then?
No one ever signed him to play at that level or if they got there, they immediately moved him on..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Facts, eh?

Graham - I’ve been attending AG for over 50years and within that time have seen City in every division from top to bottom 

I find difficult to remember which division we were at any particular year so it’s no surprise to me that I struggle to recall the minutiae of any particular player or individual season.

With Bob Taylor scoring 30+ goals one season I thought that City were in Division 3 when he achieved that impressive feat but if we were in Division 2 as you claim then I was wrong……….:dunno:

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Graham - I’ve been attending AG for over 50years and within that time have seen City in every division from top to bottom 

I find difficult to remember which division we were at any particular year so it’s no surprise to me that I struggle to recall the minutiae of any particular player or individual season.

With Bob Taylor scoring 30+ goals one season I thought that City were in Division 3 when he achieved that impressive feat but if we were in Division 2 as you claim then I was wrong……….:dunno:

He scored 27 in the third tier, we got promoted, he then scored goals the following season after we got promoted.

You said Bob, like Thorpe only scored goals in the third tier.

It really isn’t a difficult concept to understand.

As for the “50 years”, so have I..

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He scored 27 in the third tier, we got promoted, he then scored goals the following season after we got promoted.

Your memory is obviously much sharper than mine Graham - unless you researched those details of course. Something I couldn’t be arsed to do…………

• Like 1

Taylor got 27 goals in the 3rd tier and had about 6/7 games out injured. The most Thorpe got was 19 in a 3rd tier season. Taylor was way too good for that level during his time at the club, his subsequent career proves this. 

I liked Thorpe by the way, just don't think he should be mentioned anywhere near the terms of best strikers this Club has had. He was a good fox in the box Striker but just never did it at a higher level than League 1 unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, beaverface said:

What was Mark Robins stats like?

I seem to recall he had a pretty good goals\games ratio. Admittedly, he was only on loan for a few games, but someone who I thought we should've really pushed the boat out for.

We'd have gone up in 2002/03 if we'd had signed up for the final push in April and May.

23 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Really enjoying these, but your striker selections...?...Lee "why take one touch when you can take 20?" Trundle, Wayne "Barn door missed" Allison?

Mine?

1. God

2. Cole

3. Tammy

4. Goat

5. Ago

I missed out Jackie, because he was fun, but...

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd have Maynard in the top five.

18 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Nor is humility and grace, but you seem to have not grasped them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1