IGNORED

New plans for the FA Cup

Super

This is nothing compared to the threat from Saudi, qatar etc that will come in the next 5 - 15 years.

look what happened to golf.

there will be a breakaway competition including gulf state teams IMO . Maybe to replace the CL . But money talks and they are piling it in in big time .

they wont give a **** about history and tradition either or fan opinion 

Edited by milo1111

54 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

This is nothing compared to the threat from Saudi, qatar etc that will come in the next 5 - 15 years.

look what happened to golf.

there will be a breakaway competition including gulf state teams IMO . Maybe to replace the CL . But money talks and they are piling it in in big time .

they wont give a **** about history and tradition either or fan opinion 

We won't (I) live long enough but one day when the world no longer depends on oil the Middle Eastern countries will be screwed but between now and then prepare for a lot of political gesturing and arguing as we all know money doesn't just talk, it shouts.

8 minutes ago, pillred said:

We won't (I) live long enough but one day when the world no longer depends on oil the Middle Eastern countries will be screwed but between now and then prepare for a lot of political gesturing and arguing as we all know money doesn't just talk, it shouts.

Money doesn't talk it swears.

Bob Dylan - It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

• Like 1

I don’t get changing early rounds to midweek, it’s going to affect attendances and in turn affect clubs gates receipts. 

For me the obvious answer is any club that qualifies for Europe doesn’t play in any domestic cup competition that season. They’ll all stop moaning about too many games when they aren’t winning any silverware.

I wish the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal did go off and join a super league. It’s going to happen at some point so why fight it. They get their money, we get competitive competitions back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RedEd73 said:

I recall a 4 match marathon with Aldershot in the late 80's.....Carl Shutt eventually killing them off and securing us a tie away to Hartlepool....which we lost!

Steve Claridge played for Aldershot in those games

best player on the pitch by miles

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Steve Claridge played for Aldershot in those games

best player on the pitch by miles

I remember many years ago he was being interviewed about the FA Cup and was asked if he had ever been involved in a seemingly interminable run of replays and he obviously mentioned this one. The interviewer asked him if the players still had the same intensity by match four.

SC`s reply `No. No-one cared. We just wanted it all to end` 

A bit like me in truth!

2 hours ago, Mayes86 said:

I don’t get changing early rounds to midweek, it’s going to affect attendances and in turn affect clubs gates receipts. 

For me the obvious answer is any club that qualifies for Europe doesn’t play in any domestic cup competition that season. They’ll all stop moaning about too many games when they aren’t winning any silverware.

I wish the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal did go off and join a super league. It’s going to happen at some point so why fight it. They get their money, we get competitive competitions back.

Look at the effect the changes had on the paint pot trophy, changing to a league format and adding under 21s turned 3k attendances into 300 attendances 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Needlessly changing the formula for sure, but not the death of the FA Cup imo. I'll still be watching.

Also, ET and penalties is better than a replay imo. Better to get a result on the night and gives the lesser team a better chance of progressing. 

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Totally agree with this it is a knock out competition so one game should decide it. 

Guess neither of you were at Anfield in 94. No replays and that night wouldn’t have happened. 

• Flames 3

23 hours ago, 22A said:

I agree in principle, but remeber those replays at Leeds in 74 and Liverpool 94?

It amused me at the time (late 80's / early 90's) when Arsenal and Liverpool played each other four times (replays of drawn replays) for the right to play Oldham in the next round of the League Cup.

Didn’t we play Wrexham at the Gate in the 1970’s when we were in the top flight. I think we trailed 0-4 but fought back at the death to draw 4-4. Jumped around like a nutter. Then we went to Wrexham and lost 4-0 in the replay? 

6 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Didn’t we play Wrexham at the Gate in the 1970’s when we were in the top flight. I think we trailed 0-4 but fought back at the death to draw 4-4. Jumped around like a nutter. Then we went to Wrexham and lost 4-0 in the replay? 

Actually I think we went two up then four two down and got two very late goals to draw 4-4. Then lost the replay 3-0. We were top flight (Div 1) and they were Div 3. Their striker was a player called Dixie O'Neill.

Just now, handsofclay said:

Actually I think we went two up then four two down and got two very late goals to draw 4-4. Then lost the replay 3-0. We were top flight (Div 1) and they were Div 3. Their striker was a player called Dixie O'Neill.

Actually it was Dixie McNeill