IGNORED

New plans for the FA Cup

Super

These could be in for season 2024/2025. Probably the death of the competition if it happens.

• The abolition of FA Cup replays.
  • The prospect of early rounds of the competition being played midweek.
  • The end of a stand-alone weekend for the FA Cup final at the end of the season, with the showpiece occasion being brought forward to clash with a regular weekend of Premier League fixtures every year.
  • The FA Cup final will likely be held on the penultimate Saturday of the season, with a full Premier League schedule taking place on the Sunday
  • A 10-year deal to sell foreign TV rights for all overseas markets, and the possibility of subsequently selling the domestic rights, which are currently held by BBC and ITV.
  • An increased offer payment from the Premier League to the FA to fund grassroots football. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 5
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Super said:

These could be in for season 2024/2025. Probably the death of the competition if it happens.

• The end of a stand-alone weekend for the FA Cup final at the end of the season, with the showpiece occasion being brought forward to clash with a regular weekend of Premier League fixtures every year.
  • The FA Cup final will likely be held on the penultimate Saturday of the season, with a full Premier League schedule taking place on the Sunday
  • A 10-year deal to sell foreign TV rights for all overseas markets, and the possibility of subsequently selling the domestic rights, which are currently held by BBC and ITV.
  • An increased offer payment from the Premier League to the FA to fund grassroots football. 

FO is all I can say. Leave the FA Cup alone

• Like 9
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

• Replays - Well how would that work. If there was a draw what do the teams do pick short straws.
  • Early rounds mid-week -If early Rounds were played mid-week the season would blow out and we will be watching football and cricket at the same time.
  • stand-alone weekend - So players that pay in the Prem might have two play two games one day after the other.
  • Same point as the above one.
  • TV rights- yes agree.
  • Payment from Prem clubs - Why?
  • Like 2

I hope there is a tipping point where the pursuit of more revenue impacts the game in a negative way. I get that if you were in charge of a club you would probably prefer the guaranteed income of tv revenue over the uncertain revenue of going on a cup run, however for the fan this is a kick in the teeth and selling out the competition for money if true. Thing about the fa cup is it can be sacrificed because it simply isn't valuable enough, but its part of a worrying pattern where tournaments are made less exciting to make more money (48 team world cup, champions league places not awarded on merit but more games, new club world cup tournament etc). With high interest rates there is going to be a big bubble that bursts soon but I hate the idea of devalued tournaments to help squeeze every last drop out of the fans.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Super said:

Was only a matter of time, surprised it has stayed in its current format for so long actually.

It seems that the powers that be are determined to keep tinkering about with both domestic and international tournaments in the aid of generating more cash. 

23 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I saw that there were talks with the Premier League , the FA wanting to sell the rights. Only a matter of time as to when things change to suit the Prem, or aid them making more money. 

Yes, the PL are favourites to secure the overseas rights. Which may make them favourites for the domestic rights when they come up for renewal. That would effectively complete their takeover of English football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/05/premier-league-closes-on-deal-to-buy-fa-cup-international-media-rights

• Like 2

Needlessly changing the formula for sure, but not the death of the FA Cup imo. I'll still be watching.

Also, ET and penalties is better than a replay imo. Better to get a result on the night and gives the lesser team a better chance of progressing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Needlessly changing the formula for sure, but not the death of the FA Cup imo. I'll still be watching.

Also, ET and penalties is better than a replay imo. Better to get a result on the night and gives the lesser team a better chance of progressing. 

Totally agree with this it is a knock out competition so one game should decide it. 

1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

I agree in principle, but remeber those replays at Leeds in 74 and Liverpool 94?

It amused me at the time (late 80's / early 90's) when Arsenal and Liverpool played each other four times (replays of drawn replays) for the right to play Oldham in the next round of the League Cup.

• Like 1

Why does everything I’ve liked in sport for the last 50 years have to be taken away from me? Cricket is going through the same thing.

A lot of lower league clubs have got through difficult times and staved off going bust by profiting from lucrative replays.

Also following your team at FA cup away days is special, a break from the league which might not be going well. Midweek games will stop that for many

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

For teams in a higher league yes.

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

I agree in principle, but remeber those replays at Leeds in 74 and Liverpool 94?

It amused me at the time (late 80's / early 90's) when Arsenal and Liverpool played each other four times (replays of drawn replays) for the right to play Oldham in the next round of the League Cup.

Has it's pros and cons of course, and I can totally understand why people would like replays to stay. Especially the potential for big away days going out the window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Agreed, this will kill the fa cup,

These changes only benefit the prem, and not the small clubs hoping for a run to make some.money,

It's not broken, leave it alone

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, 22A said:

I recall a 4 match marathon with Aldershot in the late 80's.....Carl Shutt eventually killing them off and securing us a tie away to Hartlepool....which we lost!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, City oz said:
  • Replays - Well how would that work. If there was a draw what do the teams do pick short straws. - Well - Extra time and pens....
  • Early rounds mid-week -If early Rounds were played mid-week the season would blow out and we will be watching football and cricket at the same time. - How so?  it'll still be the same number of matches and actually frees up Saturdays for league fixtures therefore meaning less midweek matches or an earlier finish to the season?
  • stand-alone weekend - So players that pay in the Prem might have two play two games one day after the other. - Well I think it goes without saying that it won't be any teams in the final playing the following day.  Full fixture list will be full in the same way that semi-finals weekend sees a full fixture, just not including the teams in that round (and their opponents) - 
  • Same point as the above one. - Same point as the above one
  • TV rights- yes agree.
  • Payment from Prem clubs - Why? - Because that's where the money is.....

I'm not sure what your points are to be honest, but I've responded where I can.... 

I do disagree though with with early rounds being midweek.  This involves much smaller clubs that rely on the funding that gate receipts bring.  Exeter vs Gateshead for (an admittedly extreme) example would see far few away fans travelling on a Tuesday night than a Saturday.  This seems an unnecessary move that would impact clubs financially in my view.

• Like 1

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Agreed, this will kill the fa cup,

These changes only benefit the prem, and not the small clubs hoping for a run to make some.money,

It's not broken, leave it alone

Which of the changes impacts small clubs hoping for a run the most?

The only one I’d say would be lack of a replay if a payout is the determining factor, but the change means deciding on the day would only require one great performance to knock out a Prem club rather than two with replays.

The other stuff regarding scheduling and TV rights makes no impact to their chances of a run. Conversely, presumably the TV rights will lead to increased prize money.

16 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Which of the changes impacts small clubs hoping for a run the most?

The only one I’d say would be lack of a replay if a payout is the determining factor, but the change means deciding on the day would only require one great performance to knock out a Prem club rather than two with replays.

The other stuff regarding scheduling and TV rights makes no impact to their chances of a run. Conversely, presumably the TV rights will lead to increased prize money.

Being forced to play midweek,

That's a loss of gate receipts which are vital to these clubs survival,

Earning a replay at a big side, like Hereford earning a replay to travel to say man United, that's a massive income boost for the small team,

This is about the prem clubs moaning about playing too many games yet **** off to China or America during an international break or when the season just finished to earn money,

It doesn't consider the fans views ether, and football without the fans is pointless,

I for one would want to have to travel to Carlisle on a Wednesday for an fa cup game,

It's stupid, it's ill thought out, there's no consultation with fan groups or the wider football structure, the fa cup doesn't just involve 91 professional clubs and Bristol rovers,

It involves hundreds of clubs and they all should also get a say,

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

@Monkeh nailed it for me. The only thing I'd add, if there has to be change and the number of games are a consideration, give the Clubs a choice of a replay or not. I'd give the lower ranked team the benefit in the conversation if they can't agree. But we all know this is money led, and not money for all.

I don’t get how cup final being played in the season helps clubs, all it will mean is if a team makes the final and is challenging for the league that they’ll have to play an extra midweek game at the end of the season and wait for Pep/Klopp to complain about it 

I seem to remember the FA setting up the PL in 1992 to break away from the Football League. It didn't take long for the PL to take over the decision making of the FA. All this "too much football" - they play 8 league games fewer than other teams, they don't have to join the cup games til later rounds and less than half the PL are involved in European competitions. 

The idea of the cup final being played on the Saturday prior to a,"full" round of PL matches on the Sunday obviously hasn't been thought through.

39 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Why don't they just ban all clubs (non Prem) from playing in it ?

I imagine they mentioned that in the first meeting, but they realised they would lose funds. 

Otherwise .......

• Haha 1