IGNORED

Podcast Recommendations

richwwtk

I drive around a lot for work, and this means I also listen to a lot of podcasts. Anyone got any good recommendations? I keep running out of new episodes!

My Favourites would be...

A History Of Rock Music in 500 Songs by Andrew Hickey - Miles and away the best thing in podcast world in my opinion. If you have any interest in rock music at all this is an absolute tour de force. He's up to episode 166 so far I think, you tend to get a new one every 2-3 weeks.

The Constant - A History of Getting Things Wrong - It's a history podcast of sorts, but fairly irreverent and very well presented

Cautionary Tales - Another history podcast of sorts, but once again very well presented and generally has a lesson to teach relevant to things happening today

Others on my current subscription list are The Rest Is Politics, The Rest Is History, The Bugle, The Trawl, No Such Thing As A Fish, Non Censored, We Can Be Weirdos, Skeptoid, Historical Blindness, Tony Robinson's Cunningcast and History Of English Podcast

Some are political so won't be for everyone.

What I try quite often but tend to get bored with very quickly are comedians having special guests in (usually other comedians) and having a 'chat'.

This won’t be for you i don’t think but i also drive around for work a lot and listen to pods, i tried the Thearapycoach the other day with Peter Crouch and his wife Abbie Clancy for a change to my usual triathlon, politics and horse racing pods and i actually found parts of it quite funny. Just easy listening when going down the same stretch of motorway again. Like i say, i don’t think it will be for you but it did make me chuckle at times .

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rob k said:

This won’t be for you i don’t think but i also drive around for work a lot and listen to pods, i tried the Thearapycoach the other day with Peter Crouch and his wife Abbie Clancy for a change to my usual triathlon, politics and horse racing pods and i actually found parts of it quite funny. Just easy listening when going down the same stretch of motorway again. Like i say, i don’t think it will be for you but it did make me chuckle at times .

I think you're probably right, I found Peter Crouch quite a funny bloke in his playing days, but since he retired and turned to making a living by being a funny bloke I've found I can't stand him!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I drive around a lot for work, and this means I also listen to a lot of podcasts. Anyone got any good recommendations? I keep running out of new episodes!

My Favourites would be...

A History Of Rock Music in 500 Songs by Andrew Hickey - Miles and away the best thing in podcast world in my opinion. If you have any interest in rock music at all this is an absolute tour de force. He's up to episode 166 so far I think, you tend to get a new one every 2-3 weeks.

The Constant - A History of Getting Things Wrong - It's a history podcast of sorts, but fairly irreverent and very well presented

Cautionary Tales - Another history podcast of sorts, but once again very well presented and generally has a lesson to teach relevant to things happening today

Others on my current subscription list are The Rest Is Politics, The Rest Is History, The Bugle, The Trawl, No Such Thing As A Fish, Non Censored, We Can Be Weirdos, Skeptoid, Historical Blindness, Tony Robinson's Cunningcast and History Of English Podcast

Some are political so won't be for everyone.

What I try quite often but tend to get bored with very quickly are comedians having special guests in (usually other comedians) and having a 'chat'.

I do like Cautionary Tales, very good.

I can recommend Futility Closet if you like your historical trivia. They've stopped making them now and the first 20 or so are a bit rough on the production front but there are over 300 Eps so good to work backwards through them.

Learnt a lot of random stuff from that pod.

• Thanks 1

Fall of Civilizations is excellent. Episodes tend to come out every few months but if you're interested in ancient history then you'll enjoy it. Also, Your Dead to Me can be hit or miss depending on the subject and/or guest comedian, but is pretty good. Obviously Hardcore History too if Dan Carlin is your cup of tea! 

Other non-history podcast I like are Infinite Monkey Cage, Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry, Interplanetary Podcast, Cryptid Factor, The Cycling Podcast, but if you're not into the subject matter, there's not much there for you :laugh:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Fall of Civilizations is excellent. Episodes tend to come out every few months but if you're interested in ancient history then you'll enjoy it. Also, Your Dead to Me can be hit or miss depending on the subject and/or guest comedian, but is pretty good. Obviously Hardcore History too if Dan Carlin is your cup of tea! 

Other non-history podcast I like are Infinite Monkey Cage, Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry, Interplanetary Podcast, Cryptid Factor, The Cycling Podcast, but if you're not into the subject matter, there's not much there for you :laugh:

I loved the Hardcore History series on the First World War, but struggled after that, a lot of the others you mention have been on my subscriptions at some point but then dropped off.

I'm not sure why I binned Infinite Monkey Cage, because I quite like Brian Cox (who doesn't?) and am a big fan of Robin Ince, but I think the guests got on my wick sometimes :laugh:

On 06/07/2023 at 14:14, And Its Smith said:

My faves (non sport) other than the ones you have listed are:

Things Fell Apart

How Do You Cope

Desert Island Discs 

Full Disclosure 

Song Exploder

Off Menu

I think Things Fell Apart might be the best  podcast series I've listened to. Absolutely brilliant.

The first series of Jon Richardson & the Futurenauts is also excellent.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think Things Fell Apart might be the best  podcast series I've listened to. Absolutely brilliant.

The first series of Jon Richardson & the Futurenauts is also excellent.

Just searched for Things Fell Apart and there are wayyy to many to choose from! Are you able to narrow my search down a little?

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Crypto Queen and I’m not a monster would be my top 2 non sport docuseries to recc.

Off Menu an obvious one but it really is excellent.

My New Football Club with David Earl is a must listen as well 

Has Off Menu got better? I see it recommended a lot, but I listened to the first 4-5 episodes and it was very much just 'Dave' comedians being chummy with each other

54 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Has Off Menu got better? I see it recommended a lot, but I listened to the first 4-5 episodes and it was very much just 'Dave' comedians being chummy with each other

I think any podcasts first series or handful of eps will be crap listening back tbf, but yeah it really has. I’d recommend just maybe going through the list of eps (there’s almost 200 now) and downloading the ones with guests you know/like? 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2023 at 12:18, petehinton said:

Crypto Queen and I’m not a monster would be my top 2 non sport docuseries to recc.

Off Menu an obvious one but it really is excellent.

My New Football Club with David Earl is a must listen as well 

Almost finished the Kathy Burke. Absolutely nonsense really but found myself laughing out loud several times.