IGNORED

Luton not ready

Midred

11 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Couldn’t agree more, the objective is winning football matches, not having padded seats. Kenilworth Road maybe old school (and all the better for it), it’s not unsafe. Additional qualifying criteria (other than safety) beyond sporting achievement is embarrassing (see rugby’s attempt at a closed shop). 

There's "old school" and there's "shit".

People paying serious money to watch football should get decent accommodation. Kenilworth Rd is a disgrace 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Street red said:

Can't see the problem they've been in the top league before playing the likes of Liverpool etc but I suppose modern day standards and all that crap.

Yes, who wants safety, comfort, facilities, etc? Tear down AG and rebuild it like in the 70s, fences and all

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Yes, who wants safety, comfort, facilities, etc? Tear down AG and rebuild it like in the 70s, fences and all

Yes please. I'm in the minority, I know, but give me an all standing, heaving mass, of fully committed singing City fans in the East End any day over the silent seat dwellers that we get nowadays in the South stand.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yes please. I'm in the minority, I know, but give me an all standing, heaving mass, of fully committed singing City fans in the East End any day over the silent seat dwellers that we get nowadays in the South stand.

Do you get nostalgic about the violence, racism, sexism and homophobia that was endemic, too? I remember the ground like that. No, thanks.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

In any other league and sport, if a club's stadium does not meet the requirements at the time of qualifying for promotion, then promotion would not be a granted.

Yes, indeed. I now live in Bedford where the winning local rugby team was refused promotion because their (fantastic, town centre, community ground) did not meet the required Premiership standards. 
So lost out to Worcester. Who played at Sixfields. Who had parachute payments. Who subsequently failed to pay a large sum of tax owed to the treasury/ Britain’s taxpayers. Who then went into administration and were disbanded, leaving their own players unpaid and their loyal fans high and dry. Just saying.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, milo1111 said:

It’s not though really is it. They only grant them the extra leeway as it would be a total embarrassment if a team qualified for the so called best sporting competition in the world but then weren’t allowed to take that opportunity.

it would harm the brand.

it’s not about meritocratic advancement.  It’s the organisation that dishes out parachute payments ffs.

indeed. this is shortly going to be the Saudi league.

15 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

indeed. this is shortly going to be the Saudi league.

Would be good for most English clubs IMO. Would drain some money from the premier league and remove the reckless spending lower down . It just wouldn’t be worth the gamble any more for the chancers who look run efl clubs into the ground in the faint hope that they make it and win the lottery 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Do you get nostalgic about the violence, racism, sexism and homophobia that was endemic, too? I remember the ground like that. No, thanks.

This is a bit of a reductionist view. IMO.

Okay yeah that wasn't positive but football was much more affordable then, far less of a business and less overcomplicated, less hype and noise machine too probably.

Yeah change had to happen but pricing etc, all-seater for the most part..aspects have gone too far.

That is no criticism of the club here, our season ticket prices are quite competitive, the youth policy both player wise and encouraging young fans is excellent among many other good things but the last 30 years and probably longer. Something lost by the game as a whole.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

Not sure it’s obligatory for atmosphere to come as a bundle with those things. Lots of lower league/non league grounds have atmosphere/nostalgia, but no more violence/racism/sexism/homophobia than the homogenous bowls of the Prem and Championship. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Those were not the points you made in your original post. The two don't' necessarily go hand in hand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is a bit of a reductionist view. IMO.

Okay yeah that wasn't positive but football was much more affordable then, far less of a business and less overcomplicated, less hype and noise machine too probably.

Yeah change had to happen but pricing etc, all-seater for the most part..aspects have gone too far.

That is no criticism of the club here, our season ticket prices are quite competitive, the youth policy both player wise and encouraging young fans is excellent among many other good things but the last 30 years and probably longer. Something lost by the game as a whole.

You're absolutely right, the two don't go together, although I did reference the '70s in my post. I clearly linked '70s facilities and '70s problems.

Am I nostalgic for the atmosphere? Sure. For the facilities? No. Hell, no. Disgusting. Give me 'soulless bowls' with legroom, decent sightlines, decent loos, catering, access, safety, a roof, etc.

You can have atmosphere with modern facilities. The Bundesliga do it. 

Some strange stuff on this thread.

There are one or two on Luton’s forum having a strange obsession with Bristol City FC and its supporters, which is reciprocated by some here

My understanding, is as someone else alluded to, was the stand had to be reconstructed to accommodate all the technology (tv and VAR) if that is wrong, please someone let me know. 

How Luton get on over a season I like most don’t care! However watching all those multi millionaires running around within gobbing distance of a lot of (to turn a phrase) Tommy Robinson wannabes is going to be a leveller. 

What the Luton story does do, is show that English football still allows a team to go from Maidenhead Utd away to Man Utd away in ten years. That’s good for all of us!

• Like 5

They were endemic in the '70s, to which I referred 

No you didn't. You refereed to  safety, facilities and comfort in your original post.

You're absolutely right, the two don't go together, although I did reference the '70s in my post. I clearly linked '70s facilities and '70s problems.

Am I nostalgic for the atmosphere? Sure. For the facilities? No. Hell, no. Disgusting. Give me 'soulless bowls' with legroom, decent sightlines, decent loos, catering, access, safety, a roof, etc.

You can have atmosphere with modern facilities. The Bundesliga do it. 

You didn't, I suggest you go back and read your original post.

I'm amazed that people seem to want Luton to get battered every week.

I have never had any affection for Luton whatsoever - but what they have achieved is truly remarkable & I love that international superstar plays are going to have to deal with the lower league "charms" of Kenilworth Road (absolute dump of a ground)

I certainly hope that they will knock a few noses out of joint in the Prem & give every other club trying to get there that it is possible to at least try & compete.

Of course, everything suggests that they could well break records as the worst entrants to that division, but I will be smiling & chuckling away to myself with every point they manage to take of the other clubs in that division.

Good luck Luton..!

• Like 6

Whilst I have no great love for Luton, any team that gets to the Prem without parachute payments, cheating FFP or dirty money, deserves some respect in my eyes.

As someone that has little time for the Prem, the idea of it being full of teams with grounds like Kenilworth Road is hilarious to me.

• Like 8

On 15/07/2023 at 18:46, REDOXO said:

Some strange stuff on this thread.

There are one or two on Luton’s forum having a strange obsession with Bristol City FC and its supporters, which is reciprocated by some here

My understanding, is as someone else alluded to, was the stand had to be reconstructed to accommodate all the technology (tv and VAR) if that is wrong, please someone let me know. 

How Luton get on over a season I like most don’t care! However watching all those multi millionaires running around within gobbing distance of a lot of (to turn a phrase) Tommy Robinson wannabes is going to be a leveller. 

What the Luton story does do, is show that English football still allows a team to go from Maidenhead Utd away to Man Utd away in ten years. That’s good for all of us!

I Don't want to go to Maidenhead or Manchester what's wrong with Scunthorpe on a cold wet and windy tuesday night?

They now face an FA charge over fans behaviour against Sunderland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66225462

The halo slips a bit as they failed to cooperate:

The FA also alleged that the Kenilworth Road side "failed to provide information, including written observations and video footage, that we requested as part of our investigation into these crowd control incidents".

• Like 1

• Admin
On 16/07/2023 at 08:32, Bar BS3 said:

I'm amazed that people seem to want Luton to get battered every week.

I have never had any affection for Luton whatsoever - but what they have achieved is truly remarkable & I love that international superstar plays are going to have to deal with the lower league "charms" of Kenilworth Road (absolute dump of a ground)

I certainly hope that they will knock a few noses out of joint in the Prem & give every other club trying to get there that it is possible to at least try & compete.

Of course, everything suggests that they could well break records as the worst entrants to that division, but I will be smiling & chuckling away to myself with every point they manage to take of the other clubs in that division.

Good luck Luton..!

I hope like Bournemouth did last season they surprise everyone and stay up

I hope those prima Donna show ponies get an absolute nightmare every game at Kenilworth Road 

• Like 3