IGNORED

Bristol City v Torquay

Red Army 75

16 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I have seen approximately 120 minutes of him before his injury and he looked like a Rolls Royce in comparison to Joe Low

Might explain why Joe Low is leaving and this lad is featuring in pre season training /games so far. 

• Like 3

On 15/07/2023 at 22:22, Top Robin said:

FFS! - some of us are little bit disappointed that we let in 2 goals in 25 minutes against a non- league team - not that the team is shite and we will go down this season! 

Nobody has said any more than that but you are blowing it up our of all proportions.

There are so many on here that are so happy clappy that they are frightened to make any criticism, no matter how small.

No........that is NOT the case,  any Happy Clappy references are just a sad distraction.  My problem is with the  pedantic over reactions to inconsequential  training exercises labelled as friendly matches, which will have absolutely no bearing on our performances over the coming 2023-24 season.  Who cares if we conceded 2 goals...it is about getting fit, and seeing which cream rises to the top during pre season, so a team is developed and organised ready for the real games to come?  Any meaningful or   relevant criticism of the team at this stage is pointless, misleading and  just plain dumb?  .  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maxjak said:

No........that is NOT the case,  any Happy Clappy references are just a sad distraction.  My problem is with the  pedantic over reactions to inconsequential  training exercises labelled as friendly matches, which will have absolutely no bearing on our performances over the coming 2023-24 season.  Who cares if we conceded 2 goals...it is about getting fit, and seeing which cream rises to the top during pre season, so a team is developed and organised ready for the real games to come?  Any meaningful or   relevant criticism of the team at this stage is pointless, misleading and  just plain dumb?  .  

Strange?

On 15/07/2023 at 22:22, Top Robin said:

FFS! - some of us are little bit disappointed that we let in 2 goals in 25 minutes against a non- league team - not that the team is shite and we will go down this season! 

Nobody has said any more than that but you are blowing it up our of all proportions.

There are so many on here that are so happy clappy that they are frightened to make any criticism, no matter how small.

All this and the schools haven't even broken up yet ?

14 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

I'll agree with you on Mehmeti -

Cornick? - jury's very much still out.

There were glimpses last season, but you can clearly see from the Torquay highlights why Cornick was bought and what he can potentially contribute. If he can be as effective against Championship defences (which admittedly remains to be seen),  I believe he will be an important part of the squad this coming season.

On 15/07/2023 at 13:00, Top Robin said:

Dave...even if we go on to win 6-2...it is not good to concede 2 goals against a team like Torquay 

I remember Newcastle conceding 6 against Orient in a pre-season in 2009, what difference does it make to the season ahead?

I am not suggesting we are going to do anything like what Newcastle done that season (a meagre 102 points wasn't it) but your post means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2023 at 13:05, Spike said:

Like I said, not panicking, no knee jerk reaction, it's just a concern as we seemed to have recruited well and players should be fighting hard for their positions so you would expect a strong preseason, not getting beat by a team who didn't even make their trialist on their twitter team line up :laugh:

Going back to this where I had quite a few taking the piss or mocking me but my point was proven in the second half, the players who look likely to start came on and showed a whole different outcome and judging by the few highlights we got to see the hunger looked different. I maintain that players who want to break into the starting lineup will need to take their chances in the preseason or they may find their game time is a lot lower than they'd like now that we have depth in all positions.

Edited by Spike

33 minutes ago, Spike said:

Going back to this where I had quite a few taking the piss or mocking me but my point was proven in the second half, the players who look likely to start came on and showed a whole different outcome and judging by the few highlights we got to see the hunger looked different. I maintain that players who want to break into the starting lineup will need to take their chances in the preseason or they may find their game time is a lot lower than they'd like now that we have depth in all positions.

The problem (for me at least) was that you positioned your post as follows:

image.thumb.png.18df5fff8e02617bbde87f195405ade9.png

“Should be fighting hard” - that’s an assumption they weren’t….when all you had to go on was a few tweets from City / Torquay’s admin.  How did you know they weren’t?

Even from the highlights, which was 90% the goals you don’t really get any feel for any of that, do you?

Its fine to be concerned, that’s completely your right, all others were trying to do was give you some context re the process of pre-season.  You’ve seen enough pre-seasons in your time to know the “score”.

Did you see Gateshead v Newcastle?

You’ll get a better feel tomorrow.  But it’s still early days in pre-season.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You’ve seen enough pre-seasons in your time to know the “score”.

I'm old enough to remember when we, a second division side, thrashed Leicester and Southampton, first division sides, in pre-season games. We spent the following season in a relegation struggle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

I'm old enough to remember when we, a second division side, thrashed Leicester and Southampton, first division sides, in pre-season games. We spent the following season in a relegation struggle.

Not sure if this was the sane season you are referring to, but I seem to recall in 85-86 we had a stellar pre-season. Then….

image.thumb.png.4bd6060e97a45a22e06ba85849c20849.png

Finished 9th, but won the FRT.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure if this was the sane season you are referring to, but I seem to recall in 85-86 we had a stellar pre-season. Then….

image.thumb.png.4bd6060e97a45a22e06ba85849c20849.png

Finished 9th, but won the FRT.

Mine would have been the 70s before Alan Dicks took us up. Unless my memory is letting me down.

Come to think of it, where did I put my specs last night??

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Strange?

The only aspect that is strange?...is your over reaction to an inconsequential friendly that is designed to get players fit, and the new recruits to blend in.  I assume you did notice that we had 2 completely different forty five minute sides? Which is quite unlikely to happen during a league match? ?

8 hours ago, maxjak said:

The only aspect that is strange?...is your over reaction to an inconsequential friendly that is designed to get players fit, and the new recruits to blend in.  I assume you did notice that we had 2 completely different forty five minute sides? Which is quite unlikely to happen during a league match? ?

Edited by Top Robin